Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP][Tier 1] Diablo The Prawn (Nexus Compo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 01:21 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 22:20
Hi all, my compo entry is coming along, probably just gonna add some more stuff to cut up. The items you collect do stuff, but you'll have to figure that out - spend coins by tapping the item list at the left of the intro screen, to give yourself a head start.

Basically, tap to swim, tap and hold and slide up and down to control the swim. My top score is 195, I'm not great at these games.

Download (PC):
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2517541

I am the one who knocks...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 01:27
Screenie...

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 08:57
So this is why you don't answer my emails

Looks nice van the man

Any videos?

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 11:29
Hehe, could be

I plan to attempt a video today... don't have FRAPS or any video editors installed right now, so it might be a bit of a struggle.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 12:03

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 13:37
Nice one Van Best looking Flappy clone I have seen. You should get that on OUYA, they seem to love these games and have featured a few on the front page.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 15:45 Edited at: 18th Mar 2014 15:46
Cheers DA

Trying to get it working better on my crappy android tablet, let's hope the iPad version is faster. If it works smooth on my tablet then it should be fine for Ouya.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 16:15
Great game Van! I love the dirty sewer pipe!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 19:06
Do you mind if I add this to the ind db page we have ?

Or I could simply send you the passwords for it

And you could add it there your self

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 19:08
I like the hooks, but I feel that the sound of collecting a coin is too harsh.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 21:09
Ahaha, the death texts are gems. Nice additions to the flappy model. Only two things I couldn't figure out how to do: buy items, and quit the game. I tried tapping the items during the start screen but they seemed to remain grayed out.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 09:49
Superb job VanB!! Love the gfx too
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 10:34
Van:
With the exception of the pipe screen, I don't think there's enough on screen to be a problem on Ouya, even at 1080p.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 13:56 Edited at: 19th Mar 2014 13:57
I think you should try to sell it thru desura ?

Could bring some bucks to you.

Its a site for selling indi games and a part of indi db.

http://www.desura.com/

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 14:21
Thanks guys

Cliff, I'm still to have a good look at the indidb stuff, but I've wanted to get all my old games together in one place for a while... before my mind goes and I forget!

Phaelax, yeah I hate the sound effects - like I browse my wav collection, find a sound and thing it's alright, then put them all together and it sounds horrible! The only sound I actually like is that death sound, sorta crunchy punch effect, it's horrible but effective. I might record my own sounds for it - there's never a perfect sound effect in my collection (hell, I have every SoundMatter!) so I think I need to be looking elsewhere.

DA, the main concern for me is getting the game running at the same speed, regardless of frame rate - so I'm probably gonna add timer based movement, so it should be fine (fingers crossed). I think the issue with Android is the amount of alpha transparency... like there's several background pieces, 3 layers of full screen water sprites, and the foreground. It struggles to maintain the frame rate on my galaxy tab, but at least if it was timer based then it would be playable, then better tablets and computers would just be smoother. It's always a pain when you set the frame rate in stone, then have to switch to timer based later on

Bmac, yeah the shop is a bit buggy, I think everything costs 100, despite the displayed price. That will be fixed, and I will add a pause/exit feature.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, at least there is still plenty of time to tighten things up and add things. Still to come up with music track for it... anyone know someone who's good at Ennio Morricone style spaghetti-dubstep?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 15:44
Since AppGameKit has a built-in command to get the frame time I just store it in a float and multiply everything with it. That's how I start every project. Make the habit of always doing that and don't look back

3 full-screen alpha layers!? No wonder you have speed issues. Why not a single non transparent background, no clear color and then only the objects use alpha? That's how I did the forest in RTA.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 16:10
Hehe, that's on top of the background layer... but the backdrop is just a linear fade. The water is made from individual images animated in a wave, then the bottom part is stretched down, and it's repeated horizontally. Maybe I can just draw the first wave that way, then the waves behind that could just be a thin strip at the top, rather than covering the whole screen. There is also the option of using a repeating background image, then the kelp etc can be reduced for slower devices without killing the look too much.

I blame my PC, it doesn't slow down for anything... so I just keep adding layers of stuff and haven't optimized much at all. Like the junk pipe and the backdrop pipes and kelp, they're just repeated when they go off screen, no occlusion or anything like that. My original plan was to keep the pipes square, but they produce far more interesting layouts as they are.

Using a multiplier is what I'll go for - get it keyed in to 60fps, so on PC the multiplier will be around 1.0, but at 30fps it'll be 2.0. The thing that I still can't fathom though is say I have XS# as a speed, and I use X#=XS#*Multiplier#, which should be fine... do I have to worry about fading that out with XS#=XS#*0.98 - I mean do I have to factor the multiplier into that somehow?
I'm assuming not, because XS# will already increment or decrement with the multiplier, but I'm sure there will be some discrepencies. Maybe just try an make sure that it's not vital stuff like scrolling speed or player movement that is faded that way.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 16:25
I can only say that Samsung galaxy tab is one of the devices that have problems with all agk full screen rendering.

So even if you split up an background to multiple pieces so do you get the same result as using a single large image.

Its a problem in agk actually as most other engines have solved this already.

I belive its an error in fillrate that chokes the renderer.

Keep in mind to turn off all physics and collision shapes on all sprites that don't nead them as that makes a huge difference in agk.

Make sure you don't have to many alpha blended layers on top of each other ,this simply forces the render engine to draw many of the same pixels many times and bottle neck it for you.

I could have a look at it for you if you want ?
Add some timer based movement and try to solve the speed issues?
This is simply a favour to a friend and I don't get angry if you then wins the nexus

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 16:44
The game is looking really good. The art style reminds me of Spongebob.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 18:12 Edited at: 19th Mar 2014 18:15
Van:
On a Tegra 3 devices you will drop below 60FPS if you draw 1080p twice with alpha sprites. You will run out of fillrate. I don't know if this is an AppGameKit specific problem like Cliff says. It doesn't really matter what you do, this is your limit.

In RTA I do time based movement like this:

And don't forget to turn off clear screen since you don't need it:
EnableClearColor( 0 )

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 20:27
Quote: "Phaelax, yeah I hate the sound effects - like I browse my wav collection, find a sound and thing it's alright, then put them all together and it sounds horrible!"

http://www.freesound.org/

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 21:30
Quote: "I don't know if this is an AppGameKit specific problem like Cliff says. It doesn't really matter what you do, this is your limit."

It whas a common problem on most android engines in the beginning but most of them have already solved this issue.
On Samsung devices is this usually because of the mali 400 gpu that gets slow if you try to run at high resolution as it don't support this in the shaders and gets fillrate issues.

This is about the resolution of the precission of float values in the shader.

Most rendering and fx in open gl is handled thru shaders that is either internal or external.

I know I helped paul j to find this issue with 3d not rendering correctly on mali 400 devices a long time ago?

Even unity had this problem in the beginning but they solved it within a month when it whas discovered.
So it should be a easy fix if you know wath to look for.

I don't remember the thread name where we discussed this before????

Quote: "In RTA I do time based movement like this:"

Van know if this method as we iuse it in eat drink slay
But he usually writes his code for 60 fps and I fix them when I bug check our code

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 21:43
Well timer based movement is in, and it does make a big difference on Android, at least the game is stable and playable... so I'll keep optimizing things and each time hopefully it'll get smoother and smoother.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 17:53
This looks well polished and professional. It's somehow 'amiga-ish' to me (Maybe the theme reminds me of James Pond?

Anyway, love the look of it - "Almost lost a nipple!" haha!

Wonder if you could use a different marine creature? - Prawns use their tail for backward movement and their legs for forward movement, but since when has that stopped a game character emerging?

Great style and humour!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 18:16
Cheers Nzo... just wait till you see the new version - that cleaver/machete will be very useful. Hoping to have a new version by the end of the week. I'm actually quite addicted to it now, which is fairly unique for me - usually I'd be sick of a game WIP by now, but it's actually pretty great to mostly just worry about making a game fun to play.

I was a huge fan of James Pond, always liked how slick the movement was (esp Robocod) - I've no doubts that it has been influenced by it.

Diablo is an actual real prawn... ordered from a takeaway many years ago, some say he's still out there, and livid. Put this way, we had to flush Diablo - did not want that thing ruining the smell of our bins
In the movie, Diablo will be played by Danny Trejo.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 19:25
Great backstory - you should put it in the game intro!

Danny Trejo may not want to risk being typecast as a crustacean, however he'd certainly bring some anger to the role for sure!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2014 09:41
Ok, major MAJOR speed increase on Android, it's running at a consistent 60fps, same detail as the PC version, no slowdown, it's a damn miracle is what it is...

Well maybe not a miracle, but I found that changing a sprites size with the SETSPRITESIZE command is incredibly slow. For example the 32 pickup sprites that used 'SIZE took about 70 times longer to process than the whole particle system with 256 sprites. Changed it to SETSPRITESCALE and set the size to 1x1 so I can just set the scale to set the size, and that dropped to about 1/10th the cycles that the particle system uses. My faith in AppGameKit is restored!

So I spent a lot of time adding detail levels that are pretty much redundant now

Should have the new version up tonight.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2014 10:52
Sounds like we should test this on eat drink slay also then

Good find van .

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2014 14:08
Yeah, I was thinking that - especially the shop and inventory screens... I mean even setting 1 sprites size in a main loop drags the frame rate down, might have something to do with Box2D needing to recalculate the shape.

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 22:52
@Van B

How is the puzzle pack that comes with Sound Matter. I was thinking about getting that one?
I'm not expecting it to have a whole lot, but I want some good solid effects.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 12:33
Well my #1 bugbear with Soundmatter is that there just aren't enough sounds in each pack. The sound quality is great, but I dunno, maybe I'd hope that any sound media pack would have lots of extra's, bits of sample, variations, that sort of thing. If I was making a bigger game, I'd probably look at sampling my own sounds, or getting a load of old BBC sound effect CD's (they are great).

The issue I have is continuity - because if you are making say, an RPG game, and you get some Soundmatter packs, you'll have about 1/2 of the sounds you need and they'll be great quality - but then the other 1/2 of the sounds might not be the same quality, and that would be like a wasp in my ear! - just like when you see different styles of art mixed together, or even just different resolutions - Sound has the same issues, which is why I think the very best option is to record your own sounds, have 1 guy (or yourself) do all the art. Continuity is vital when you've invested time and money to maintain a level of quality. I used to wait until the end before adding sound effects to a game, now it's more like halfway through development.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 22:19
New version attached...

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 22:35
New screenie...

Attachments

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 22:48
Yeah. I know what you mean. Collecting sounds is a pain. I would rather have someone else do it, and just stick to coding.

But anyway.I have found some other great sounds pack. I really like sound-ideas.com but they are expensive but very complete.

Other good packs can be found here:

premiumbeats.com (this place provides loop variations,full play and 15, 30, and 60 secs samples)

envatomarketplaces.com

www.freesfx.co.uk

...make sure you read the licensing.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:32:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:32:47