Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Nexus Competition Entry - Jumpee

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 05:35 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 22:15
Hey everyone!

Here is my work in progress entry for the nexus 10 competition. The general gameplay mechanic is very simple, the screen scrolls from left to right and the player must jump from platform to platform without falling down. The player simply swipes in the direction they want to go at the speed they want to go, and the character jumps accordingly. I plan on adding a few things to make it interesting but that's the jist of it! The player will also be allowed one swipe while in air, to move the player left or right by a little bit (I call this "wind" haha). I feel like this game is a good fit for a flappy bird competition, as its a simple yet addictive game!

Old Screenshot

Progress Update.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Shot 2

Attachments

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 22:00 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 22:03
Have made some good progress . Ive added a large score counter in the top middle of the screen, and ive now designed the character for the game, a little froggy. I've also added in music a friend made for me for the game. Next up I need to add in a full menu system as well as a system for keeping track of the high score. If I have time I'll add a high score board, achievements, maybe power ups and collectables too.

Attachments

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 01:06 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 01:08
More updates! Progress has been slow but steady. I'm going into exam season for engineering and have been swamped with work so I haven't been able to dedicate as much time to this as I'd like.

Some new things I've added to the game:
-Music
-Persistent high score
-Full menu system
-Particle effects
-Sound effects

I have a list of things I'd like to add or work on before I get into the end-work like online high score tables or facebook integration or ad integration. These are things which aren't for me to feel the game is complete but which will add to the gameplay.

Here are some new pictures, and a video.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 01:41
Nice graphics and game idea.
Can you do something more about the jump of the frog? It seems that ignores the physics laws.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I'm gonna increase the downward force. What do you mean by ignoring the physics laws exactly though? If you mean he doesn't fall fast enough I agree.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 12:08
In regards to the physics, it almost looks as if you give the frog some kind of boost. I suspect this is what george++ is referring to aswell. It looks kinda odd... Take a look at the 0:21 and 0:26 in the vid, the frog shoots forward somewhat.

Are you allowing additional jumps in between? Like a double jump? I'm not entirley sure how your jumping mechanics are working, but I'd stick with one jump only for which you need to judge correctly (length of tap)...

Looking really good so far though!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 18:35
Quote: " it almost looks as if you give the frog some kind of boost"

exactly
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah I forgot to mention. The animation isn't there yet but you can do one swipe in the air and "blow" the frog in a direction. I plan on putting in sound and visuals for that soon.

Funnell: I had only one swipe originally but found it to be almost too difficult. I've been playing with how the controls should work, i.e, speed of swipe, length of swipe, length*speed, fixed speed, but I haven't come up with something I'm completely happy with. I'm gonna take another look at the control scheme soon.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 22:12
Quote: "but found it to be almost too difficult"

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Take Flappy Bird for example, that game was successful largely based on the fact that it was so ridiculously hard! I had assumed that the control mechanisms worked based on how long you hold the tap down (the longer the tap the longer the jump). This means you have to judge every jump upfront, I think that would work quite well...
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
The hold idea is a good one, but I'm not sure how you would get the jump angle out of that. Currently the jump has both varying speed and angle. I'm going to put a few days aside eventually and try to hammer out an acceptable control scheme.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:49:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:49:51