Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Good Graphics Creating Software for App Game Kit?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 02:14
I'm trying to create a game with some basic 2D graphics. I like Gimp 2.0 but I feel as if it is too slow of a process and doesn't have some basic features I would like. Any ideas what program I should use to create my graphics? Thanks in advance,
Nick Shepherd

-Nick Shepherd
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 13:37 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 13:38
I recommend PaintShopPro9, the Jasc one - it's like Photoshop when it was good, plus I find it's actually a lot better for pixel work than PS. It's head and shoulders above Gimp for everything, and I'm sure you would find a free version somewhere, Jasc was bought over by Corel, but you can still get the 30 day trial at least. I managed to find it for free, but I can't remember the site.

I am the one who knocks...
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 15:06 Edited at: 17th Apr 2014 15:08
i like PhotoLine (cost 59,- Euro) see download there for 30 days trial
http://www.pl32.com/

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 21:08
I use GIMP and Blender together. Blender let's me "draw" objects pretty nicely then animate them for a sprite sheet. There are also tuts for Blender on how to make pixel art style graphics. It's extremely handy.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 02:01
I just bought Anime Studio Debut since I'm not an animator or an artist, I have done some cool things with that even with my limited ability.

It's all vector based and you can add bones making it very simple to animate. It does crash sometimes, but it has a recovery system so I have never lost any work, but that would have put me off if I would have known before I bought it.

I also use iDraw on the iPad for when I want to draw stuff in bed etc

I also use gimp if things need a final touch up.

Whatever you get I'm sure you will see an improvement in what you do, having good tools is everything when making games imo.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 04:53
I like Blender. I can create a 3-D animation and then capture frames to use in a 2-D environment.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 09:39 Edited at: 18th Apr 2014 09:40
A quick heads-up for those who want to have a library of 2D graphics and are not good at (or don't have the time for) making them themselves (like me ): a Kickstarter-campaign called the Indie Graphics Builder #2 is in it's last hours. It can still use a little help and promises to deliver 10K+ of sprites and backgrounds etc. All can be used commercially.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 18:12
I always stick with photoshop mysel but that's probably due to having used it since the 90s.

There's always Paint.net

nickshepherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2014 22:27
Thank you all for the responses! I'll play around with your suggestions!

-Nick Shepherd
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 22:24
So... I'd been having a bit of issues with my javascripts that make my sprite animation sheets. No clue why it's so hard to find something that takes layers and simply arranges them in a set number of columns and rows or why the existing scripts all have issues, but...
I found this handy dandy tool:
TexturePacker
http://www.codeandweb.com/
Surprisingly it has an option to export for AppGameKit... so it will build a nice atlas text file for you. It gives you a ton of options and I'm quite impressed with it. It is not free, but I may decide it is well worth the $40 price. If you pay an extra $10 you'll get a physics exporter which creates physics shapes for your sprites. I'm on the fence about that one because I don't use complex collision shapes much.
Anyway I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:58:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:58:03