Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How to use system restore?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 17:15
Yeah. I want to know how to use it to backup my computer. I don't know how to use it. If possible include a picture show me how to do.

I love to make games

http://www.youtube.com/user/thespicy847
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 20:21
A quick google of "How to use system restore youtube" returns

Windows 7 System Restore

Using System Restore in Windows XP

Using Windows 8 System Restore

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2014 00:52
Backup and system restore are different things.

Backup = 100% return to saved state

Sys Restore = probably will recover some sytem files, fail is possible, no effect is possible.

* Sys restore is useful when you trying new driver or some crappy software.

* Backup is useful to save WHOLE system disk (as image) and restore it without any issues; often used right after when you installed fresh system and minimal needed (trusted) software/drivers. Best option.

Backup software is often paid but it worth it, believe me.

All your TGC are belong to us.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 10:58
I never have much luck with system restore... recovery console yes, I've performed miracles with that, file backup yes, it's vital but that tends to be a lesson people learn the hard way.

For me... I'd rather have a partitioned hard drive, or better yet at least 2 separate hard drives, then get all documents onto a different drive/partition to the OS. I see the OS as the disposable part - Win7 will usually take less than a 3 hours to reinstall, I prefer to have a slick reinstall procedure waiting just in case (like drivers and software installers ready to go) and a solid backup procedure.

The main thing, is don't rely on anything doing anything that you didn't tell it to do. If you haven't setup restore points, or backed up data, don't expect a restore to work, don't expect your data to be recoverable. Users who value their data need their own procedures for backup, never rely on the OS to take care of this stuff for you.

Hell, I wrote the backup software we all use at work just because I can't trust other backup software.

I am the one who knocks...
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 23:50 Edited at: 16th May 2014 23:51
Quote: "How to use system restore?"

You don't. Aside from eating hdd space and not always being reliable, it can be exploited by malware.

Quote: "Users who value their data need their own procedures for backup, never rely on the OS to take care of this stuff for you."

Yes.

I use an app called SyncBack on Windows since it has an OEM partition to recover my OS and some software. I run a basic script on Linux for my work and I use the liveCD creation script that shipped with my distro to backup my actual system.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:28:55