Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Kindle Fire Compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 17:29
I have been fortunate enough to get one of my apps, Trionix (made with AGK) accepted for Free App of the Day on Amazon.

It's been in test today and I have had 3 major errors reported, and to be honest I'm not even sure where to start.

Most of the errors seem to be weird issues on the main menu screen. Some of the images not loading for the logo, and instead shows a black box. And also issues with orientation not working correctly. It's a landscape only app but they've sent me screen shots of it in portrait with corrupted images at either side of the portrait screen.

None of these issues have shown up on the android devices I've tried it on.

I really want to try and fix this as the free app of the day can be worth 100k+ downloads. So any advice is welcome.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 18:41
Which model is it? I've KF HD 8.9

Could test.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 00:19
Quote: "I have been fortunate enough to get one of my apps, Trionix (made with AGK) accepted for Free App of the Day on Amazon."

Congratulations, let me know if you finally get it approved and I'll put it in the newsletter.

I don't have any experience of Kindle so I don't know what these problems are. If you can send apps to beta-testers, my 2 daughters have Kindle Fires, one standard (16 months old) and one HD (current generation)

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 01:07
That's pretty awesome!
Anyway, I ran into a similar issue on some Android devices and we found out that the device manufacturer had chosen to remove support for OpenGL texture mipmapping. So if you have mipmapping on then that might be the key. That means you might want to optimize your texture sizes for the Fire. Also check to see if the dimensions for your texture images are too large. I'm not sure what the limits are on the Fire, but it might be 1024x1024 like iOS.

I'd also remove SetIntendedDeviceSize if you're using it. I was having issues with that on iOS and I don't trust the command.

If you find the culprit please let us know. We should bring it to Paul's attention so that he can hopefully fix it. I plan to integrate Amazon IAP at some point and I'm not going to be happy if I do all of that work and the app is rejected because of texture problems. So I'm glad you announced this.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 09:26
Thanks for the help, the mipmapping sounds like it could be the cause of one of the issues, as it occurs on the 1st gen Fire. I'll check the texture sizes, but I'm pretty sure I kept to 1024x1024 as a max.

Not sure about the orientation issues though. I've attached the 2 screenshots sent by the Amazon test team.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 10:19
Sorry, I overlooked orientation issues.
I'm a little confused by the image... I wonder did the AppGameKit orientation lock not work and they loaded it in portrait and then rotated? Like what happens with the AppGameKit player.
Did you do your own Eclipse setup for this app or the online builder?
If Eclipse did you also set the orientation in the Android Manifest.xml? It seems like you have because the lock is working on my Nexus 7.
I wonder if the Kindle's orientation is reported backwards. That would do it. And I faintly recall something like that.

BTW this game looks great. I played a bit and almost forgot to finish writing this reply. Are you considering online multiplayer ever? It would likely need to be turn-based, but I think it would do fairly well. Anyway really nice game. Very sharp graphics.

I'd say try flipping the orientation and getting the test out to these guys here that can try it out for you.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
According to this: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/devices/kindle-fire/app-development/02-device-orientation

The first and second generation Kindle Fires's landscape rotation is the opposite of all the other Kindles. Apparently setting the "screenorientation" in the manifest to "sensorLandscape" should work. An easy way to do this is to rebuild your APK using Easter Bunny's "Automate 2.0 (AGK TIER 1 INSTANT DEPLOY to APK)" tool which can be found here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=41&t=210058&p=0

Make sure you select "landscape" and it should automatically edit the manifest for you. You MIGHT need to use "SetOrientation( 0,0,0,0)" so the Kindle can handle all the orientation stuff.

If you need me to test it once you rebuild it, let me know. I have access to a Kindle Fire (1st Gen), so feel free to email me.

Sean

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 15:12
Thanks for the advice.

I use Eclipse to build my Android apps, so I'll try making the change to the manifest that you suggested and make a new build.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2014 01:25
Please let us know your findings. I'd like to integrate Amazon IAP someday for my games and if there's orientation issues then it would be a waste of my time.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 19:03
So, I think I've fixed everything for the amazon upload. I tweaked the mipmaps for older devices and set screen orientation to 'sensorLandscape'. I tried it with the code setting "SetOrientation( 0,0,0,0)" but had to change it back to "SetOrientation( 0,0,1,1)" as the on my nexus it was still switching between landscape and portrait.

Could those of you with Kindle devices test it for me? thanks.

I've attached the .apk file.

Attachments

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 20:43
Hey Johnny,

I am downloading it on to my Kindle Fire now.

Other than Orientation, do you need me to look at anything else?

Thank you,
JHA

Proverbs Challenge: http://pc.potentialsunleashed.com/
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 21:59 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 22:43
Okay.

Orientation is fine. Flipped it all around and it uses both Landscape orientations, but does not come up in Portrait mode at all.

The game itself plays fine, but the menu graphics are all black.

Kindle Fire
System Version: 6.3.2

I tried to take a picture of the screen, with my iPhone, but there was too much glare and I don't know how to take a screenshot. I tried connecting to it through Eclipse, but I can't seem to get them to see each other.

Let me know if I can test anything else for you.

EDIT: Figured out how to get the screenshot!!

Thank you,
JHA

Attachments

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 22:57 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 22:58
Sorry for the second post. It won't let me link more than one screenshot.

Attachments

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 22:58 Edited at: 28th Apr 2014 22:58
And the last screen:

Attachments

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 09:34
I think I know what the issue is. All the images that are not displaying are not power of 2.

I thought AppGameKit automatically handled this, but I'll need to make some more atlas textures with all the other images.

Thanks for taking the time to test this for me.
JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 16:09
No problem, let me know if you need me to test it again.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 19:46
Would you mind testing this new version?

I've changed all the images to atlas textures, hopefully that has fixed it.

Thanks.

.apk is attached.

Attachments

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 20:15 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 20:16
That was it!!

Attachments

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 20:17 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 20:17
Second Image!

Attachments

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 20:38
Thanks. So, interestingly we need to make sure we don't use any non power of 2 images, even though it works on other platforms.

Thanks for your help.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 21:27
That's so odd.
A few questions:
Are the images all atlas textures, or did you have to also resize stand-alone images to power of 2?
Are you using mipmapping?
Are you using SetIntendedDeviceSize?
Are you using virtual resolution or percentage?

Thanks!

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 10:39
>Are the images all atlas textures, or did you have to also resize

I added all the non power of 2 images to an atlas texture.

>Are you using mipmapping?

I disabled mipmapping (based on screen resultion)

>Are you using SetIntendedDeviceSize?

No.

>Are you using virtual resolution or percentage?

Percentage.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 10:52
Thanks. You should really bring this to Paul's attention because AppGameKit should be filling the texture to make it a power of 2 size. If it isn't doing this properly then there may be many devices that are having issues that we don't know about. I guess I need to take this as another lesson in what AppGameKit says it does but can be messed up. Looks like I should go and atlas everything!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 12:37
Just to throw a spanner in the works, for what its worth, I have 2 apps on the Amazon store and I would say about 99% of my images are not power of 2, both went through with no issues. I use the VirtualResolution...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 12:54
I published dFenz there about a year ago and also didn't have these issues. I wonder if it is a bug in a certain version of AppGameKit?

JohnnyMeek, what version are you using?
and Funnell7, do you recall what version you were using with your apps?

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 13:36
I was (and still am) using 108.12...
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 13:46
This app was also already on the Amazon store.

The problem only came up because the app is going to be featured for free app of the day, they do more thorough testing on actual devices.

I'm using 108.19

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:59:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:59:03