Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Tutorial] Full Screen Interstitial Admob Ads In AGK Tier 1

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 08:19 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 23:00
Hey Guys,

A little while back I got full screen interstitial ads working in my game "The Bird Game" (link:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210899&b=48 ) in AppGameKit Tier 1. I've decided to make a tutorial to show how to get them working on Android and iOS.

Interstitial Ads For Android:
This tutorial assumes you know how to build the agk player using Eclipse!

Open the AppGameKit Player (or if your building your final app open that project) in Eclipse

At the top of Eclipse, click on the "Android SDK Manager" Button. The Android SDK Manager window will come up (it might auto select some things, so you might want to hit "deselect all"), go all the way down to extras. Check the box that's labeled "Google Play services" and then hit install packages.

Photo:

Once the package has been installed, exit the Android SDK Manager.

Right click on the project and go to the bottom and select "Properties".

Photo:

The properties window should open. On the left panel select "Java Build Path" and then select the "Libraries" tab. On the right side of the window click the "Add External JARs...." button. A navigation window should pop-up, locate the "google-play-services_lib.jar" inside your Android SDK directory (By default it should be located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\google_play_services\libproject\google-play-services_lib\bin"). Select the file and then hit "Ok" on the properties window.

Photo:

Now, Go into the AndroidManifest.xml and go towards the bottom. Just above the line that says "</application>" add the following two lines:

Finally, replace the AGKHelper.java file with the one that's attached to this post.

For using the ads in tier 1 go to the section of this tutorial titled "Calling Interstitial Ads From Tier 1".

Interstitial Ads For iOS:

Go here https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/download#downloadios and download the latest version of the Admob SDK for iOS.

Open the AppGameKit Player (or if your building your final app open that project) in Xcode.

On the left panel right click the "Classes" folder and click "Add File To..."

Photo:

Navigate to the Google Admob SDK download, and select all the files in the folder and click the "Add" button.

Photo:

Replace the UntitledViewController.h and the UntitledViewController.m with the ones attached to this post.

Inside of the UntitledViewController.m locate the following line:

Replace where it says "INSERT_ADMOB_UNIT_ID_HERE" with your Admob unit id.

For using the ads in tier 1 go to the section of this tutorial titled "Calling Interstitial Ads From Tier 1".

Calling Interstitial Ads From Tier 1

Use the following AppGameKit Tier 1 functions to use interstitial ads:

"InterstitialSetup( key$ )" - This function will setup the interstitial ad system, and begin loading the first ad. Add this function towards the start of your app. For the input use your Android Admob interstitial unit ID. NOTE: The iOS unit ID gets hardcoded into the UntitiledViewController.m see above iOS tutorial for instructions

"InterstitialLoadAd( )" - This will call for a new ad to be loaded. NOTE: It is important to call this function every loop. Don't worry, if a new ad is already being loaded the function call is ignored, but it is still important to call every loop.

"InterstitialShowAd( )" - This will show the loaded ad. If an ad has not been loaded yet, the call will be ignored.

If for some reason you have trouble getting it working, or there is some confusion with my instructions let me know.

Sean

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 08:39
Looks great. Very similar to Chartboost integration, but we used a new Runnable class instead.
Can't wait to see gplay services.
Do you mind if I add this tutorial to my website? I hope to gather a repository of modifications for AGK.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th May 2014 08:46
Thankyou so much for this! Great tut!

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do you mind if I add this tutorial to my website? I hope to gather a repository of modifications for AGK."

Feel free to add it to your website.

Sean

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2014 02:27
Any ETA on the Google Play services tut?

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 13:24
Ok... Whats going wrong ?
I use the "Interpreter prebuilt" (not the Lite version).
Add the 2 Lines to the Manifest, copy the Java AGKHelper.java from this Post the the Project... Refresh, rebulit but i have many Errors...

Screenshot attached ...

Attachments

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 17:15
Did you get the Google play SDK? And add the external library? It looks like that or an import statement is missing.

sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 18:10
The Google Play SDK are installed and i have add the Lib as external library...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 18:14
Unfortunately, I can't help you further. I've not done this myself so I can't attest to it's accuracy. Those errors are what you'd get by a missing include or library though. If you want to send your project files in a rar or zip to my email address (button below) then I can take a look for you.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 18:18
For Tier 1, does it matter which version of AppGameKit we use?
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 18:42
I use 108 21, Tier 1...
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 19:38
I don't think there's been substantial changes in the C++ or java files since around 1.018 There was some OUYA stuff "fixed" but shouldn't affect android, java, or any of the libs.

@sdl - I'm looking at your screenshot and right in the manifext it is complaining that it can't find the package for the Google Play library. SO for some reason it is not linking up correctly. Also i tlooks like ALL of the AppGameKit java files have errors which means that they have imports missing too. Likely imports for com.mycompany.myapp?
I can't really tell because the screenshot is too limiting for me to know more.

sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 20:53
can everybody send me an "eclipse ready" project to import it ?
Then i can test what is wrong...
I have now 0 Errors but the player have crash when i use the functions for the ads... mhhh....
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 20:56
Try running the app with the device connected in USB debugging mode and looking at LogCat in Eclipse. It might give you a clue. Also I wonder, do you need to remove the old AdMob library? The instructions don't say, but I imagine if you don't then there will be conflicts.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 20th May 2014 21:57
any chance to get a screenshot of it working in diffrent forms ?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ok... Whats going wrong ?
I use the "Interpreter prebuilt" (not the Lite version).
Add the 2 Lines to the Manifest, copy the Java AGKHelper.java from this Post the the Project... Refresh, rebulit but i have many Errors..."

From your screenshot, I don't see the Google Play SDK imported as a library.

Quote: "For Tier 1, does it matter which version of AppGameKit we use?"

Any SHOULD work.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 14:51
Quote: "Any SHOULD work."

Excellent, thanks! I shall give this a try...
TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 01:02 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 01:03
I ran into problems running this tutorial.

First I didn't find "google-play-services_lib.jar", only "google-play-services.jar". So I added this one instead.

Unsurprisingly, I ran into trouble with these linese of code :

I couldn't find "com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity" nor "com.google.android.gms.version" and got a lot of red warnings. I'll see if I can provide more details tomorrow. If anyone could help me figure this out, that would be nice.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I ran into problems running this tutorial."

I believe I completely messed up a step of the tutorial. You need go to
"File" >- "Import...." when the pop up window comes up locate the "Android" folder and select "Existing Android Code Into Workspace" for the root directory choose the Google Play Services library folder (which by default is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\google_play_services\libproject\google-play-services_lib" ).

This should load the Google Play Services library into Eclipse. Now right click on your AGK project and go to "Properties" a properties window should pop-up. On its left panel select "Android" and at the bottom you should see a section called "Library". Click the "Add" button and add in the "google-play-services_lib" library that we just loaded in.

That should fix your errors, let me know if it works so I can fix the tutorial.

Sean

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 07:38
Any eta on the GPlay services tut?

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 08:19 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 08:31
sorry, double post.
TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 08:19 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 09:28
Thanks a lot for your help Sean.

In a hunch I also added the google play service in the reference list of my project (it imported as an android 2.3.3 project, I don't know if it's ok).

Now I have two red warnings :

I'm investigating but my skills go little beyond copy-paste. By the way, I know I'm gonna sound like a d*uche but I'm using the lite version of the project. So I kinda removed every facebook entry from the agk helper file you provided (no facebook related red warning though, which is a start).

edit: the gcmregistrar stuff is not in the lite project, So my using the lite project is probably at fault here.
edit2: I went balistic on gcmregistrar and the push notification functions so the gcmregistrar related errors disappeared. I still can't figure out the com.thegamecreators.agk_player_ads.R issue.
This might be related to the other red warning "PlayService cannot be resolved to a type" below "// Entry point for all AppGameKit Helper calls"
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "import com.thegamecreators.agk_player_ads.R;"

This should be changed to the name of your package name (Which is set in the AndroidManifest.xml). The normal AppGameKit player's package name is "com.thegamecreators.agk_player" so in that case you would change it to:

Let me know if it works or not.

Quote: "Any eta on the GPlay services tut?"

I've given my Google Play Service AppGameKit Player code to Naphier, who has agreed to make a tutorial once he understands how it all works.

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again.

I modified as you suggested and I still get "PlayService cannot be resolved to a type" in AGKHelper.java. The line reads :

Could it be because I use the lite prebuilt project ? Sorry to trouble you again.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Could it be because I use the lite prebuilt project ?"

No, this one would once again be my fault. Another thing that I stupidly overlooked.

Change

To

That should fix the issue, sorry for the problems. Let me know if it works.

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
No error on clean and build but exporting the project failed:

We're close. I can feel it
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No error on clean and build but exporting the project failed:"

Right click on the project go to "Properties". On the left hand side of the properties window select "Java Build Path" click the "Libraries" tab. You should see "GoogleAdMobAdsSdk" on the list. Select it and click "Remove".

Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
I removed it but the problem persists (it took longer to report an error, though). I noticed I have 3 more Google service related jar in the "Java Build Path" of my project :

In android dependencies :
_ google-play-services_lib.jar

In android private libraries :
_ googleAdMobAdsSDK-6.1.0.jar
_ google-play-services_lib.jar

I also have "android 4.4.2" with "android.jar" in it.

How should I proceed ?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:53
@HockeyKid - When you get this tut working can you update the original post to include the missing steps? After that I'll update it on my site. Also... thanks for outing me!!

I do have his setup for Google Play services, but I'll be deconstructing it to make it work for my purposes. That means it will be a LONG time before I can write an actual tutorial for it. It is not one of my top priorities as we're working on redesigning Shape Time to make it more appealing and flashy and I'm working on 3 other projects for future games simultaneously. Also, it is pretty messy to get it to work with tier 1 because of lack of functions that will return data from java to the t1 program. HockeyKid did an ingenious thing with using memblocks which I'm going to try to recreate, but it will be tough.
If folks are really interested in using Google Play Game Services PLEASE PLEASE make requests to Paul to have it added in v2. Or at the very least give us some dummy functions that will return data from java to t1 so we can repurpose them as we need.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 22:40 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 22:41
Quote: "I removed it but the problem persists (it took longer to report an error, though). I noticed I have 3 more Google service related jar in the "Java Build Path" of my project :"

See if you can remove the "googleAdMobAdsSDK-6.1.0.jar" from the android private libraries. If not, try cleaning the project, it might remove by itself. If that doesn't work, upload the project here and I'll take a look at it.

Quote: "Or at the very least give us some dummy functions that will return data from java to t1 so we can repurpose them as we need."

I sent Paul a lengthy email awhile back, requesting something like this to call native functions that the user could write into the AppGameKit Player. Here is an excerpt of the email:

Quote: "
Maybe a few commands to call custom functions that users would write in native code. For example

SetFunction( "MyNativeFunction" )
PushFunctionInt( 1 )
PushFunctionString( "MyString" )
returnValue = CallFunction( )

This would look in the native code for a function called "MyNativeFunction" and call it using the parameters "1, MyString". I noticed people have been asking for plugin support, which is something that might be a bit hard to do. If these commands are possible this could be a solution to plugins (assuming it's possible to do).

I understand you are busy, so if it's not something you want to look into I understand.
"

I never got a response, and honestly I'm not even sure it would be possible (maybe through use of pointers).

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 00:01 Edited at: 14th Jun 2014 11:11
I couldn't remove "googleAdMobAdsSDK-6.1.0.jar" from the android private libraries from eclipse so I went in the project/libs folder itself and remove it manually.

I refreshed, fixed properties and cleaned. The export went fine, I'll see if it works.

Thanks a ton for your help, I couldn't have done it without your help.

edit: Yay ! The ad showed up ! Thanks again for the tutorial and the fast technical support
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "edit: Yay ! The ad showed up ! Thanks again for the tutorial and the fast technical support"

No problem, glad they worked. Sorry for all the issues with the tutorial.

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
I had to modify the file Hockeykid provided in order to use it with the lite version of the interpreter. I'm probably the noobiest script kiddy around but we never know, it might be of some use to someone else.

I went "Conan with the destroyer" with the original file so do not expect something pretty if you use unsupported commands.

Tested on android only.

Attachments

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 12:00 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 12:02
Shameless bump for a somewhat important question :

Does anyone know if this intersticial admob setup will also break on august 1st ? (the admob code from previous agk versions will not work anymore after august 1st)
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does anyone know if this intersticial admob setup will also break on august 1st ? (the admob code from previous agk versions will not work anymore after august 1st)"

This tutorial uses the latest version of the Admob SDK, so no worries it will still work.

Sean

TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I suspected so when I read Lee's instructions to update it manual. I thought I had done that already.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 21:58 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2014 22:20
HockeyKid, thank you so much for this! I have spent most of today messing around with this and have finally got ads being displayed

I am a little confused about generating a new ad though, would you mind explaining this to me?... You mention that we need to call RequestAdvertRefresh() every loop, I did this, and then checked my AdMob account and can see that I have made over 1000 requests (the app was only running for a few mins) - This doesn't seem right to me. Secondly, I assume we need to call SetAdvertVisible(1) everytime we want a new ad, is that correct? Like does closing the ad set the visibility back to 0?

Many thanks...
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You mention that we need to call RequestAdvertRefresh() every loop, I did this, and then checked my AdMob account and can see that I have made over 1000 request"

Interesting, the reason you should be calling it every loop is because it tells the system to attempt to load a new ad (Calling it just once won't always do the trick, because it won't register the call until the old ad has been completely cleared). If a new ad has been requested, then RequestAdvertRefresh is ignored (or should be). It's important to use the functions that I provided above (The setup function sets certain properties in a specific way), as not using these could cause your issue.

Here are those functions, are you already using them? If not, give them a try and let me know if you have the same issue.

Quote: "Secondly, I assume we need to call SetAdvertVisible(1) everytime we want a new ad, is that correct?"

This shows the new ad, but it does not do the loading.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 23:21
Quote: "The setup function sets certain properties in a specific way"

You know what... I think this might be it. When I ran the initial tests, I had failed to change the CreateAdvertEX() to the exact parameters you specified... I've changed them as per your instructions and it all appears to be working well now! I cannot thank you enough for this!!!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I cannot thank you enough for this!!!"

No problem, glad you got it working.

Sean

yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 17:17
Many thanks for this tutorial Hockeykid followed it and built my first app with Interstitials instead of banners and works fine now.

The only problem i had is similar to Funnell7 where my admob account went crazy whilst testing the app and increased the requests by 900 in a few minutes.

Was wondering if this is related to the player we are broadcasting to during testing. Not sure if this makes sense but this is what I found during testing.

If I broadcast banner ads from my app, ads show on my test device, if I broadcast
Interstitial ads they do not show but request every loop banner ads it seems unless I build the apk, then it works fine.

So I was wondering, not knowing how the player works exactly if it’s because when we broadcast to the standard player, we are using the old AppGameKit helper in the player and not your modified version. And the standard palyer requests banner ads every loop?

Thank you again for your providing this tutorial, and I have just noticed your new post including the Google Play leaderboard Yay!!!

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only problem i had is similar to Funnell7 where my admob account went crazy whilst testing the app and increased the requests by 900 in a few minutes.
"

Did you try the solution I provided Funnell7 with? The InterstitialSetup function is quite important. I was testing the interstitial ads last night for my mod post and I just went and checked, I only have 26 ad requests. So I suspect you might not be setting them up right.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 18:25
HockeyKid, is it possible to have 'Landscape' Interstitial ads with this setup?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "HockeyKid, is it possible to have 'Landscape' Interstitial ads with this setup?"

When the ads show up, they should already be the orientation that your holding your device in.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 23:35 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 23:35
Quote: " When the ads show up, they should already be the orientation that your holding your device in"

Sounds simple enough lol. I probably should have just tried first! Thanks Sean!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 16:22
Hello Sean, I'm having another issue, and maybe I missed something... I am now trying to add this for our iOS app and have followed the above instructions, yet when compiling in AppGameKit (with your new functions), I get an error;

Failed to write memblock int, membloc 2 does not exist.

Now I assume I have to create a memblock, but I have no idea about these so thought I'd ask...

Many thanks, as always...
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now I assume I have to create a memblock, but I have no idea about these so thought I'd ask"

Are you sure your replaced both the UntitledViewController.h and the UntitledViewController.m ? Also, you should try going to "Project" and hitting "Clean", and then rebuild.

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 20:30
I'm referring to the AppGameKit IDE, not xcode. That error message is from AppGameKit when I try to run my application in windows...
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm referring to the AppGameKit IDE, not xcode. That error message is from AppGameKit when I try to run my application in windows..."

Sorry, it would seem when I posted my functions I forgot to include my GetPlatform( ) function. These should work:

Sean

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2014 00:03
Sean, I think the problem is that you use the SetMemblockInt command for ios but I cannot see in your functions where you are actually creating the Memblock (CreateMemblock)...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:25:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:25:37