Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Last Survivor <working title>

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 19:30 Edited at: 22nd May 2014 20:17
i just wanted to share some news about giving my zombie world outbreak game another shot.

I canceled the project last year but have started coding it in agk once again.

One major challange to creating a top down zombie game is to still have the ability to be surprized when a zombie pops out around a corner or in a room. When its a top down view, you can generally see the zombie coming a mile away. What I've done is coded the game engine in a way that you cannot see inside a building until you step foot in it. Secondly if the lights are turned off you will not see anything very clearly till you locate the light switch.

Im hoping that with these 2 major changes to my game engine, it will put a bigger surprize attack from the enemies on the map.

if you havent seen the original game build you can check out its old post here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207609&b=48

here was an old video to show some game action:

Check out my early video of the new game engine and tell me what you think in the post below.

Give me 10 mins to upload my new video.... and i will post it.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 19:37
ok here is the new game engine and sandbox editor....

any feedback would be great! Id really like to make this game as good as possible!

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2014 23:39
Looking smooth! Glad to see that you're picking up the project again! Remember reading about it ages ago!

Change the music... Something a little creepier?
Also, I'm not sure if it is just temporary... But the lights in the ceiling are a little weird, just suspended in space.

Otherwise its coming along nicely! Keep us posted!

cheers

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 17:19
yeah thats no problem with the music...its just considered place holder at the moment. I will write all new music for this in the end.

the light im not sure yet what to do with. the idea of drawing it shows the player that there must be a way to turn it on. The roof is not drawn anymore once you step foot in the building.

I could hide the light to but in the end it may be actualy better to show that one exists in that location.

i dont know if i want to draw beams going across the ceiling..but maybe that would be the solution?

thanks for your feedback.

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 17:54
Hmm, I think that the beams will just obstruct the view for the player. Although I get what you mean about the light. Maybe get rid of the light image/model and instead make the switches easier to spot? I mean, if you enter a dark room, normally the first thing you do is turn on the light right?

cheers

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 22:46
Good point! i will just disable my lighting on the switches themselfs so you can see them in a dark room alowing me to hide the light bulb.
for the editor however it will draw them in so you know you put one there.

the way the light switches work... when they are pushed it changes the switch flag from 0 to 1... then they look for the nearest light bulb to modify. You could setup several light switches to turn on a single bulb.

I did it this way so you dont need to wire them in the editor....seems more simple.
It should be neat to see what kinda maps other people comeup with when the sandbox editor is complete.

Have you played resident evil outbreak? for ps2? i kinda want to mimic that and have it so the outbreak is just starting to happen wich means there will be survivors to help and to help you get to a safe zone.

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 19:15
I have not, although I like the idea of having some "friendly" survivors to find instead of just hordes on hordes of zombies!

cheers

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 23:05
gunna put this on hold once more....but not too long...

maybe a month while i finish coding a new limb/animation system for agk. My next post will have the new animation system previewed.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 14:05
anti lock bump up...

A few more days an i will be working on this again with my new animation system...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 23:42
ok... finaly getting back to this project.

i have gotten my 3d tile engine and simulated lighting system up again, now i also have the new 3d animation plugin working along side with it.

I will post a picture tonight of the new engine look and view perspective. I now got a good setcamerafollow coded now and the camera is working 100% the way i want it.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 03:34
ok here is a screen shot of me running through a hay field.

this will be fun suprizing your character with zombies layin down grabben at ya!

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 14:09
Nice!

cheers

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 06:22 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 07:59
well im getting through the editor very quickly since ive done this several times now.

i just need to make new characters for this so the graphics are inline. Im now using models from fpscreator so i will need to up the character detail to match it.

edit: ok now im using characters from darkmatter 1....looks much better but i need to fix his jump animation

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 08:10
and here is a video showing the intigration of my 3d animation plugin

and using a character from darkmatter1

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 03:53
i've gone back to a box style graphics just to make things easier on the development side. eventualy i can go back and edit all the graphics when the projects completed.

here is a sample video showcasing the new tile engine and animation code working with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:17:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:17:34