Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / A question for AGK users!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 01:21 Edited at: 19th Jun 2014 03:15
Hey guys,
I'm a long time user of DBPro, and thought I might finally have a go with AppGameKit, since DBPro's been a long time without updates...
I have an idea for a game I'd would really like to work on. I know there are several similar projects which are growing in popularity, but I can only remember the name of one, sorry
http://mapattack.org/
The idea behind Mapattack (and most of these games) is that virtual locations in the game's map are placed around you geographically, and moving on the map means you need to walk or run with your iPod/Pad/Phone/whatever.
In terms of graphics, this wouldn't be so hard to produce. My question is whether AppGameKit could handle the location-based parts!
I guess this would mean that AppGameKit would need to be able to pinpoint your location, and use geofencing to make sure you aren't allowed outside of the specific area, and detect when you come close gameplay objective areas. Of course, it would also need to show the position of other players on the map too!
Is this even possible? I know a lot of people are saying that as awesome as AppGameKit v1 is, it's still a little bit feature-lacking in some ways, and being able to develop something this complex sounds as though it might be asking too much of it!
Thanks for any feedback

The code never bothered me anyway...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 15:34
If I recall, the geolocation stuff in AppGameKit is bugged or not working - only going by people complaining about it. Which is a real shame, I've had a few ideas like this that I can't really put into practice yet.

Maybe it's something that you could get working with Tier2.

I am the one who knocks...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 08:50 Edited at: 14th Jul 2014 09:19
From the Help Docs:
Quote: "
GetGeolocationExists

Description

Returns 1 if the current device has GPS built-in, allowing longitude and latitude, plus regional data to be gathered. This command is not yet functional.
"

Hmm, perhaps after Bullet Physics is implemented? [So end of the year this should be working I guestimate]

Quote: "Maybe it's something that you could get working with Tier2."

I am always confused with DBPro and AppGameKit being used in C++, nobody has yet said to me, Yes you can use ANYTHING that is C++ based and get them to work with GDK/AGKV2, this is definitely missing from the websites too... makes me feel I am limited to the same command set and not much more so why use C++ anyway... [I am sure it is the open ended usage but until I have been told this by someone close or already doing so or have tried it myself, it remains an uncertainty...]

EDIT

I meant to say, From the latest Help Docs of the current release of V2 for Backers

EDIT 2

Just remembered you need C++ for Mac development, but I recall you can do it with Tier 1 byte code as well right?...

I have not seen an AppGameKit game running in a Mac yet, but I have on iPads... no Mac support? [Trots over to AppGameKit boards]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:06:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:06:19