Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Windows 8.1 issues

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 19:26 Edited at: 28th Jun 2014 19:29
The AppGameKit Windows installer v108.21 refuses to run: NSIS Error: Error launching installer.
I got the same error message in Windows compatibility mode : Windows 7
Then I tried to run just the game file (which has been built under Windows 7 environment, I copied all the necessary media files). I got the following error messages:
"Message: Failed to open file for writing media//JoystickOuter.png at line 0"
then
"Failed to open file for reading media/ at line 0"
then
"Application file does not exist"
then
...go and play with your new OS...
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 15:21
I run AppGameKit 108.21 on windows 8.1 without any issues. Are you running the AppGameKit installer as an administrator? You may need to right click on the installer's exe and select run as administrator.

The run as administrator option is often required due to UAC being turned on. Personally, I turn off UAC so I dont have to deal with any of its nonsense. I understand the concept behind it, but the execution of it is not so great (imho).

I can't speak to your game of course, but at least you should be able to get AppGameKit installed. I use it often to work on the game I'm making.

If this is of no help. Check the event viewer under application, maybe system for more potentially more detailed error message. Event viewer is your friend.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 19:05
Thank you very much kaband. To be honest I am not familiar with Win 8.xx so your tips are useful
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 02:24
I always leave UAC turned on all my computers for a very good reason: my users will almost certainly have it on. Make no assumptions.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 04:18
Jim, Are you confirming that you were able to get AppGameKit Version 108.21 installed w. UAC enabled on Win 8.1? If so, maybe you can help George out with the steps you took to do so.

I'm lost on your make no assumptions statement. I think you MAY be referring to game installs should work with UAC turned on and yes, that seems like good policy, but George can't even get AppGameKit itself to install unless I misread something in his post. Worrying about game install and execution is a bit like putting the cart before the horse when you can't even get AppGameKit itself to install.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 10:07
I will investigate. It might need an MSI installer. I have no problems on 8.1 using Advanced Installer for our products. If so, I'll build one and get it uploaded.

George - Very sorry for Greece. Nearly went through!!!

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 21:15 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2014 21:16
Quote: "but George can't even get AppGameKit itself to install "

Yap! That's right

@JimHawkins: What can I say. This community is realy very friendly!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2014 01:23
I'm about to have rant, so feel free to leave now.

We recently bought an Asus Transformer T100 as a cheap way of testing company software on Windows 8.1. It's a cute little thing with a 10.1 screen you can pull out of the docking station and use as a tablet. Cute as in a puppy - sweet, pretty to look at, and not much use.

I put the AppGameKit installer on a pen drive. I tested the installer on the host W7 machine running off the pen drive and it worked fine, from which most of us would reasonably conclude that the file integrity was fine. I put the pen drive in the T100's docking USB port, and - wow - it allowed me to browse it. Looking good. I ran the exe, or tried to, but it said the file was corrupt and wouldn't run it. I rebooted and tried again. Same result.

I fired up Chrome on the T100 and navigated to TGC. I was the assailed by adds all over the right-hand side of the screen, and they wouldn't go away. I hate pop-adds. I hate adds. I would ban adds. They are the minions of Satan sent to drive sane people mad. Let's face it - if your software is poo, give it away; if it's worth buying, sell it. Do not force me to watch ludicrous pop-ups advertising things I would never want even if I were last survivor of the human race. It was impossible to see the download section for AppGameKit on the Products section.

Fortunately, I installed AddBlock, which, after a few tweaks, exterminated the excreta from the right of the screen, and I was then able to download the latest AppGameKit installer. I tried to run it straight out of the download tab at the bottom left of Chrome. Oh the joy of watching a spinning "busy" pointer for ten minutes.

I rebooted - by which I mean I held the power-button for a while, which appears to be the logical thing to do on most tablets. Then I ran the installer out of the Downloads folder. It ran!!! Bliss. I noticed that it wanted to install into Program Files, which is BAD NEWS unless the software is smart about writable storage, which AppGameKit isn't. It installed - it ran - I loaded SmackIt - it compiled, but when it ran it said it could not find xAudio, then proceeded to play the music and present a blank white screen. Explain that, please! Why is xAudio needed? The Windows subsystem will handle MP3 and WAV quite happily. Why introduce a new sub-unit that plainly needs an installation it's not getting?

My conclusions are that:

* Windows 8.1 is crap
* People using adds should be burnt at the stake
* AppGameKit is showing signs of being sloppy and untested at base
* Out of the box, AppGameKit will install and run on W8.1 but what it produces will not, even on Windows
* I am not going even to attempt to do an Android build on W8.1 - the whole idea of installing the NDK etc fills me with dread.

Looking on the bright side - a week tomorrow I'll be on Kerkira (Corfu) eating moussaka and drinking local wine. I will not be taking the W8.1 cute puppy - I'll take a 17" laptop to deal with any urgent company issues - nor will I take any of the pile of company Android tablets, or iPads.

I know the young people love their tablets. I think they're s***.

Yammas, Γεώργιο - I will toast you from the Westerly limits of Greece across the mountains to the East.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2014 18:54
Ha Ha!!! great post Jim!
I wish you to have a nice stay in Kerkira.
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 17:29
Hey Jim,

Sorry about your win 8.1 results. That just blows. I'll do a vanilla install this week on a VM of Win 8.1 and see how I fair with an out of the box install as well.

Windows 8.1 is not nearly as good as win 7 (so, i just blew your mind right? No one has ever made such a bold statement). Better than 8, but that doesnt say much.

Is it possible that the ASUS bloatware was causing some of the issues at the very least with the ads? First thing I do with any new personal machine is immediately format the drive and install the OS from scratch without the manufacturer's extras. It might be worth your time to do a brand new install of win 8.1 unless you have already done that.

I can't help with the xAudio portion, but I can at least test my experience. As far as graphics, I do know that the times when I've gotten things like white (blank) screens where there should be graphics its usually a video driver issue. I take it this bad bay has an intel video card? My laptop has an intel video card and althought Lenovo does a decent job of releasing driver updates, I can always find the latest and greatest on intel's website.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 10:41
I'm not bothered. This is only a reference machine for company software on W8.1 I was simply testing george+++'s problem installing AppGameKit and reporting back.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 13:05
OK, the key to success: I had to place the installer into the root folder "c:\" as Jim suggested.
The computer is a company laptop having the Windows 8.1 installed. I took it in my home on the weekend in order to test the AppGameKit under the new operating system of Microsoft (my home PC is based on Win 7).
The downloads folder lies within the user folder which is named with Greek characters:
"C:\Users\Μιχάλης\Downloads\AppGameKitFiles10821".
This I believe is the problem.
But after successful installation I cannot run some of the examples. Here are the error Messages:
Quote: ""Failed to open file for writing media//JoystickOuter.png at line 0""

and
Quote: "Failed to load image:/Avenir.png at line 5"
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 13:51
The double-slash there may be a clue.

Glad it helped. Your fellow-Greeks will be helping me with cold Mythos and great food in a few days' time. Stini yiasou!

Why is your user name on the laptop Mixalis, and your forum name George? Are you George Michael in disguise????

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 14:50 Edited at: 6th Jul 2014 14:57
Quote: "The double-slash there may be a clue."

This is going to be happen first. Then I'll try to rename the user folder by using English characters.

Unfortunately I've never been in Kerkyra, so I can't give you some tips, but I am sure your Greek friends out there will help you a lot to have a great time.

Στην υγειά σου Jim!!!. May the Gods be with you

PS: Mixalis is the name of my colleague and the laptop is for him.
Ha ha, as far as I know George Michael is from Cyprus
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 15:11
Caught you out there, Yiorgo!

Been to Kerkira many times, and to Greece even more times. No need for tips! We have lots of Greek and other friends, and it's like going home.

For those who haven't been to Greece (poor you), the ancient tradition of Xenia (kindness to strangers) lives on, at least in the islands.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 06:32
Using V2A3 with Compiler Update 2 in C:\AGK no issues installing, no issues compiling, no issues running samples, no issues when copying from compiled directory to C:\, Desktop, Downloads folder... Shaders example works as well... [that is a compiled app moved away to test in other locations to see if they run]

I am on a Surface Pro 2 running 8.1 Pro, maybe it is an issue with standard 8.1? [Not touched standard Windows {Home Premium etc.} in like since Vista came out..]

I never touch UAC [Since coming to 8/8.1] as it works flawlessly now... I only need to touch DEP for TreeMagik and PlantLife... otherwise not had any issues with any of my paid software...

Don't lay blame until you have tried every avenue...
When you have tried every avenue, you turn around and shuffle back to where you began and repeat... [Well that is what I do anyway, 'tis my mantra]

Which releases of AppGameKit are you guys using? it helps to diagnose issues by first looking at the tools and which release you are utilising... look for 'AGK.txt' in the same folder as "AGK.exe', it should state your current version, mine states...

AGK Change Log
==============

Build 2.0 Alpha 3
------------------------

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 08:10
That's the version I had issues with.

I merely reported what happened. Don't shoot the messenger!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 17:30
Sparta! Haha

Umm are you using a third party antivirus?

Add the AppGameKit folders to exclude lists

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:19:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:19:22