Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Sticktrix Online <SXO>

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:52 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 21:52
UPDATE 03 AUG 2014:
I finally have the server keeping track of all the abilities, stats, equipment and inventory. Touched up the NPC code to make it easier to add new ones. Up next, missions... gonna be a huge update for that

Newest video:

Link to original post: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198579&b=8

ORIGINAL POST:

The Sticktrix Online(SXO) -MORPG (DPRro), is a project I started on a few years ago and have slowly, (very slowly at times) working on. It is greatly inspired by the game The Matrix Online(MXO), which is no longer around. While MXO is the inspiration behind this game, SXO will be very unique in story progression, combat, and many other things. While this is still early in production, I am pleased to say that I have put a lot of time into the design and the game is aimed to support a around 50 players in a server at a time. Time will tell if this number will be able to be increased or decreased.

Story:
The story behind the game is you are a normal person (stick figure), that one day discovers the world is not what it seems. You find that there is an entire new dimension (and some lack of dimension) all around you that is threatening the world you live in. You have the option to either join the fight to save the world, help destroy it, or simply don't care. Either way, you will gain enemies and friends.

The world consists of a huge city, segmented into various "sectors" that contain various different environments. For example, there is a residential type area, a large metropolitan area, and a few other less "friendly" sectors. Every building in the game you will be able to walk in and explore. This makes the already large city have even more content to find and do. Currently, the world is divided into 100 sections, each mapped out to the various sectors.

How combat works:
Combat is based on abilities and the "basic triangle system". There are a wide range of abilities in the game, from basic damage dealing attacks and healing moves to status inflicting moves. There are two ways to initiate and commence combat, close combat and free-fire attack. In close combat (hand to hand), any weapon and ability can be used, and there is combat time based system for determining when an attack will proceed. This means in a battle, only one person is attacking at a time. Free-fire attack is a ranged battle and only guns can be used, however, a person wielding a Sword has a chance to deflect bullets if they are being fired upon.

The "basic triangle system"(BTS) is focused around the three different weapon types in the game: Martial Arts(Hand to Hand), Guns, and Swords. In general, Martial Arts > Sword, Sword > Gun, and Gun > Martial Art. Basically that means if you have a Gun equipped and have trained you Gun skill, you should much more easily defeat a character specialized in Martial Arts. Each of the three weapon types also has its own abilities, so a character who only specializes in Swords attributes won't find much use in Gun abilities.

Gameplay:
Starting at level 1, you don't have very many combat options, so getting used to combat will be a good idea. There are many NPC's around the world who you can fight that will drop items when defeated. Once you decide which of the three factions you will join, you are available to start doing missions and gaining addition experience and items. In addition to the main missions, there are a lot of random NPC's who you can talk to and get side missions. While most missions will require someones life, there are some where you finding items will be crucial. The side quest system will have a wide diversity for game play options.

Done and working:
-World loading and handling
-NPC loading and handling, synchronized over the server
-Combat handled by the server (each player can have up to 4 different opponents at a single time, this number will probably increase)
-Inventory
-Abilities
-Synchronized server/client inventory

Working on:
-Modeling/building the world (world approximated 2% built, but I bought a few model packs that should speed up production time)
-More Characters/NPC's
-More Abilities
-More Animations
-More buildings (currently 7 buildings with interiors)
-Missions system handled by server
-More weapons (guns and swords)
-Adding music and sound (I have a lot, just haven't added any yet)
-Other stuff to be listed

Here's a link to some pictures:
http://photobucket.com/SticktrixIngameShots

And some screens:

Free-fire attack

Matrix style bullet dodge

Inventory

Here is a quick video of the game as it currently stands, this is connected to the server and running on my slow laptop:

I have been making good progress lately with some free time, any questions/comments welcome

7/21/2012 Video:

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 00:29 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 00:32
I remember this project, looking forward to seeing more progress

EDIT

Have you tried running the server remotely on a dedicated machine?

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 00:37
Thanks MrValentine! Yes, I've been successful in running it on a dedicated machine and having other connect to it. There's been no issues so far but testing has been limited to about 4 different people. I'm not ready to release any kind of test demo to the public, but if there's anyone on here who has a keen interest in the project, I can send out demo's via email.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 00:49
Sweet, I would love to test out, but not sure I would be able to commit to detailed feedback, but I say that now but yes keep the testing locked until you are further down the stream

Shall keep my eyes on this project, it looks promising

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 02:02
Awesome MrValentine, expect an email from me sometime soon (may be a few days). I've been playing with a lot of different things and have to tidy it all up before I can send out a new demo. Please note that the game is currently about 300MB in size (the email will contain an updater that is about 10MB). One of the things I've been playing with is compression so that when you connect to my server and download updates it won't use up as much bandwidth to get it all.

Will keep you posted!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 02:18
Even if it was 10GB, I am not too bothered ^^ not at present anyway but maybe when I move to ASIA it may be an issue

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 12:39
I look forward to playing this one. All I can say is the only way it will get done is to keep working on it; don't let anything prevent you from placing your major creation in the forefront of your mind.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 02:55
Thanks Chris. Yea, this project is my baby, it's not going anywhere

Today's progress so far has been encryption! I have a pretty cool function that can encrypt strings. Particularly useful for password storage and other important data handling. Here's an example:

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 01:14
I seem to have missed this earlier, looks really cool and it would seem you have a solid foundation to continue building on.
Will be interesting to follow along and see how it turns out, good luck!

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 02:10 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 14:50
Thanks Rudolpho!

UPDATE: I've been working on adding client-side user profiles so that files specific to multiple users can now be stored instead of just one at a time. Also just want to say that progress is going to slow down until the weekend because I have a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 certification exam on Friday which I very much would like to pass

Will keep on posting progress as its made.

UPDATE 26 JULY 14:
Been doing a lot of behind the scenes work on every aspect of the profile handling. Fully implementing items, abilities, and xp into the server and client so that they sync up just right. Nothing new to showcase just yet, hoping to have everything tidied up before the end of tomorrow.

UPDATE 27 JULY 14:
Almost got everything I wanted to do done. Abilities/Statuses are going to take a bit more time to fully implement. Still nothing to showcase but I made very good progress this weekend code wise. The project is over 20k lines total now.

The server/client are now synced correctly when loading in so that it keeps track of equipped items, inventory, and basic attributes.

Still need to add syncing on the Abilities, then I will be happy with a new demo.

UPDATE 28 JULY 14:
Back to work this week, but still rolling along on this project. Progress today included added a new sword ability called Tornado Slash. Will post a video of it when I can.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 05:46 Edited at: 16th Aug 2014 21:25
UPDATE 03 AUG 2014:
I finally have the server keeping track of all the abilities, stats, equipment and inventory. Touched up the NPC code to make it easier to add new ones. Up next, missions... gonna be a huge update for that

New video:

I have the new demo ready now, I am sending it out to all of the testers I currently have. Hope there's not too many bugs

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 17:16
Looks pretty cool. I hope you finish it.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 22:40 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 22:43
Thanks seppgirty!

UPDATE 10 AUG 14:

-Added in-game friends menu access (see screen shot below)
-Fixed a bug where NPC free-fire damage was not calculating right
-Fixed a bug with inventory on server side that was not letting client receive item benefits unless the item stack was greater than 1 when used.
-Added more smoothing on camera
-Fixed NPC name display bug when targeting and deselecting them in combat.

Screen shots of in game friends tab/menu:

Still working on client side optimizations for close combat which will display next 5 abilities being used. This will be helpful in chaining abilities together making it easier to achieve a desired combat attack style.

As for the mission system, there are a lot of variables that are still being mapped out and designed on paper. Once I feel that it is sophisticated enough, I will begin implementing it.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 23:30
Nice work.

In the OP it states that this a title to derive somewhat from the Matrix Online massively online multiplayer game which I have not played.

Have you decided on a setting and plot for the players to immerse in? What will we be fighting for? And can you give a small hint on any new styles of gameplay you are going to introduce?

I loved the video; incase you are not aware, you can demonstrate your videos in the forums using the [ youtube ] tag with the youtube ID as the only parameter.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 21:48
Chris Tate: Thanks, and thanks for the info on how to embed the youtube videos, messed with it once before but never figured it out

As for the plot, the main story line missions are going to focus around a NPC (name TBD) that has extraordinary powers and is pretty much changing the world as he see's fit by speaking of the "other" dimension and by taking out anyone who he believes is hiding the truth from the people. He claims he is doing it to make the world a better place, that he knows the best plan of action for the future. It is up to you as a player to either side with him and help discover the truth by diving deep into the underground world of lies and deception, or to help the rebellion trying to stop him and to keep the world as it is.

There will also be many side quests that are related to the main plot, but do not affect the story as such. I want the player to be able to find missions anywhere and to have a fun diversion from the main story every once in a while.

As for new gameplay, there is still much more work to be done with the free-fire combat (gun play). I'm thinking about implementing an over the shoulder camera view so that when you shoot your weapon, you actually have to aim and hit your target and not just have it auto attack as it currently does. Also, I plan on adding weapon customization in the form of a item slot type system where gems can be placed to increase certain attributes or even grant certain abilities. That all being said, the main components of the game are not done, close combat itself is maybe 50% where I want it to be with status ailments, ability chaining, and cool-downs still needing full implementation. I'm currently working on ability chaining and will post a video when I have it where I want.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2014 22:12
I like the turn-based combat you have going here. Not something I expected to see in a 3rd person shooter.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 19:41
Thank you TheComet, I truly appreciate the comments from everyone.

Unfortunately I have been incredibly busy lately and there is no progress worth showcasing here. I want to re-iterate that this project is one of my top priorities when it comes to how I spend my free-time, and development will not stop until this game is playable. I am always open for any assistance, especially when it comes to media creation. So please don't be afraid to chime in with anything if you have any interest in the project.

Will keep posting updates as they come.

Pristine Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing. Don\'t suppose you want more music and or SoundFX?
I just do it for fun no sh!t needed in return, it just looks so cool and quirky I want in.
I can work pretty much daily to help out. Just send me requests and I\'ll work.

Call me Eric
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 21:46
Pristine Studios,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Yes, any music, and especially SoundFX would be of huge help. I have plenty of free time in the coming weeks and plan on putting out a new update here soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:55:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:55:29