Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Do I need Visual Studio?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:39
I have a few apps that I would like to publish to the Windows App Store. I am trying to work my way through the Windows/Dev Center. However, I have come to a part that tells me to, "Use the control to upload the packages (the .appxupload file) that you created with Create App Packages in Visual Studio".

I have never used Visual Studio. What is it and do I need it? I have my apps as packed .exe files and can email them to my daughter, a teacher, who can use them with her class. I had foolishly thought that submitting an app would be as simple.

I'd also thought to try them on a Tesco hudle. Will this be just as difficult to do?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 17:38 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 17:41
in short Visual Studio is a IDE,
editor,compiler for c++, c# .net , basic .net.
Visual Studio exist in many versions or plugins.
often there exist extra sdk for mobile or driver development.

the kind of (new) project/solution decides at what target u can start your app.

u can read/compare/download here, express version is free but limited.
http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-with-msdn-overview-vs

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot create windows8 apps with AGK
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 17:43 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 17:48
@bjadams
i believe because of the interpreter core runtime requirements, true?
the windows shop is only for tile technique app's?
the agk vs 2010 c++ template i can run at windows8.

i know from xbox store,
ms had many rules before u can upload in shop.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The biggest obstacle is that AppGameKit is currently OpenGL only and Microsoft wants DirectX for native 'metro' style apps. If you purchase a 'business' developer license from Microsoft for $100 vs. $20 for an 'individual' then you can technically list desktop apps in the store (i.e., EXE binaries). However, doing so will simply link to an external site you specify so you'd have to host and build your own infrastructure for people to download and is definitely not as nice as being able to download right from the .

To publish native Windows 8 tile apps you would need to go through Visual Studio for at least many steps (and be using Windows 8 on top of it). There are a lot of rules and requirements that AppGameKit would not satisfy for publishing. Lee indicated some time ago that some internal build of AppGameKit technically supports Windows 8 Phone dev so in theory could be ported without much hassle to Windows 8 Metro, but I think that is a long ways out as Paul never mentioned it yet.

From personal experience, the Windows 8 Store has hardly been worth pursuing compared to Android and iOS. One native Windows 8 app I released (non-AGK) has received about as many downloads in two months as the same app receives in less than a day on Android or iOS.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK can only produce Win32 apps. Even though these run on Windows8 desktop mode, Windows store is mostly for WinRT Windows8 apps.

Windows8 apps are only good for taking part in coding competitions!
Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 12:12
Thanks, everyone, for clearing this up. I'll go on now to look at publishing on Android.

I might also resurrect an old web site of mine, "http://robslearningfun.webs.com/", where I used to keep my old DarkBASIC educational programs. I'm retired now and not programming for money, just to try to stop my brain from atrophying.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:59:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:59:07