Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Can I open up an .exe file to see what I wrote?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 11:24
Some time ago I wrote a programme in DBC and compiled it into a stand alone (.exe) file. Unfortunately I didn't save the source code. Is there any way that I can open up the .exe to see what I wrote or is that impossible?

Thanks

Fool's gold is at the end of the rainbow, the real stuff is along the way
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 17:52
nah the source code isn't inside the exe file, rather the original source code was translated (by the DarkBASIC compiler) into a custom byte code.

It's possible to pull the byte code out, but you'd need to decode the dark basic instruction set in order to recreate the programs logic.

The Wizard of Aus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 03:41
Thanks Kevin.

How would I go about doing this? I'm not savvy in these things.

If it's too complicated I won't worry about it. It's just that the programme was set up for a specific purpose and I would like to set it up for a more general purpose.

Thanks.

Fool's gold is at the end of the rainbow, the real stuff is along the way
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 19:51
Quote: "How would I go about doing this?"

You'd have to reverse engineer DB's byte code instruction set in order to create some type of DB disassembler -> BASIC. Which wouldn't be easy, even for those who're familiar with such things.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 23:51
Alternatively you can observe the logic and note it down... Then rewrite it from your observations...

Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 11:22 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 11:25
If you are using darkedit, search files ".tmp" in the darkedit folder and opens these files with wordpad. Darkedit automatically makes these files each time you executed the source code. These files are copies of the work, so you may be able to find the source code you're looking for.

DirectX 9.0c (February 2010)/ DBClassic v1.20

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:15:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:15:55