Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A week after release - And why you should develop for Ouya

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 20:45 Edited at: 11th Aug 2014 20:46
I released the alpha of Rush to Adventure 9 days ago. So far about 560 downloads across all platforms: Ouya, PC and Android. I have no idea if that's good or bad considering it is the alpha version of an unkown indie game with no marketing experience or budget.

However, 75% of these downloads are on Ouya. I believe the biggest reason for this is that the game is listed as a new release and everybody checking the store will see my game. 58 people have rated the game, over 13.5%. The Average 4.5/5 rating tells me this game is quite popular Up there with the best of what's on Ouya. And if I hadn't released on Ouya far fewer would have downloaded the game. My O-Rank is 182/889 games and climbing. Top 32 are listed as trending in the store for even more exposure. Except for peak day at 111 downloads, I am getting 30-50 daily downloads on Ouya.

I am trying to get some articles and videos. I am on Super Game Droid's weekly indie roundup and currently winning. The prize for winning is to make their front page. Please do vote for Rush to Adventure These things are sure to boost downloads on other platforms but they do require more work than Ouya.

Should note that Ouya has asked devs for games to show at Pax, if selected. That's a huge opportunity as that would be very expensive for most people, especially if you live outside the US. Even if not selected there will be a special Pax playlist in the store featuring all submitted games. So more opportunities to get the game in the hands of players.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
well done
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 01:10
That's pretty good, how many installs are you getting on Google Play?

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 01:58
did you manage to submit to pax before the dead line? sunday was the deadline i believe. I just squeeked My new hockey game in there but i doubt it will be selected. The way i see it its like playing the lottery. If your not buying tickets then your chances are 0.

Will be neat to see whats selected for the list...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 09:50
Thanks guys

easter bunny:
Currently 40. But I haven't done any PR work for that version. Really don't know how. That's far easier on PC and Ouya. Thanks to Super Game Droid it is currently doing better than the PC version, still only half as many downloads.

SoftMotion3D:
Yeah, I submitted my game on Saturday. From their description, all games submitted will end up on the playlist. Sounds like it could end up a very long playlist.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 00:13
I just got this in my inbox, from Ouya

Quote: "Congratulations! Your game has been selected to showcase at the OUYA booth at PAX."

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 01:29
Congrats!!!

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
That is AWESOME, well done Digital

The code never bothered me anyway...
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 06:34
Hi Digital,
well is normal, some games doesn't raise immediately, also if your game looks interesting to users.

The Ouya have less games, so is much easy.
Some patience my friend. You will reach your objective!

Long life to Steve!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 09:31 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 09:34
Thanks guys

Super Game Droid is doing another roundup. This time they are doing their first Ouya roundup. In the Android roundup, Rush to Adventure managed 54% of the votes. Going up against other Ouya games will probably be harder. First prize is a video review and I would love one of those. The voting is at the bottom of the page. You do not need to sign up to vote, you can vote anonymously. Please show your support and vote for AppGameKit made Rush to Adventure.

Click here to go to the roundup!

I also made their news last week so check out the article here.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 22:24
It's been about a week since I started this thread. Ouya is still doing strong with 600/800 downloads. Android and PC makes up about 100 downloads each. RTA is about to drop of the new releases list but has been added to the alpha list so it's still on the front page of Discover. Next week it will be on the PAX playlist as well as shown at their booth. I also hope they will do some Twitch streaming. Exciting times! Once again, I am so glad to be on Ouya right now. Best v2 feature by far

kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 02:56
Nice work, Digital Awakening. I'll be interested in continuing to follow your progress on that platform. Seems like a great opportunity.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 09:31
Thanks kaband

Yeah, I am hoping this leeds to some good things Will keep you posted. I want people to know it is a good platform to develop for. And also inspire people to make more complex games, not just simple mobile games. Those are fine too, but we need some larger games as well.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 17:07
I'm adding Ouya to my list, I've only got a cheap Android tablet and cheap Android phone - neither of which are ideal for developing for... I want to try some ideas that need a controller, seems that Ouya is a great platform for that, making games that are a bit more traditional and a bit less shallow.

Now, do I get a cheap Ouya from eBay, or do I put money aside and get an Ouya2... any advice on that front DA?
I'm not looking to do anything too insane, just getting EatDrinkSlay on there at first would be cool. Is there a lot of justification in getting an Ouya2 instead?

I am the one who knocks...
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 17:34
Quote: "Now, do I get a cheap Ouya from eBay, or do I put money aside and get an Ouya2... any advice on that front DA?"

For me the answer is clear: the Ouya2 or none of them if the Ouya3 will come soon
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 19:14
I would say that as a dev you want Ouya 1. This is because everybody got one of those and if you make a game for Ouya 2 it probably won't run fast enough on Ouya 1.

Ouya is currently selling refurbished units for devs
$65 for 1 Ouya + 1 controller
$20 for an extra controller

Ouya did initially say that they will launch a new version every year. So far they have only said that Ouya 2 is being worked on.

I think EatDrinkSlay would do great on Ouya. A perfect platform for you. That game looks like it would do very well to be played with a physical controller and you will definitely find an audience there. Check out http://ouyaforum.com, it's the biggest Ouya community. You can start a WIP thread on their upcoming board.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 23:55
Just realized that Google Play lists current installs by default, not total installs. So total installs on Android is now 200! Current installs is dropping though. Almost 1000 total installs on all platforms

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats on the Ouya success! I feel shameful that I bought an Ouya almost a year ago and haven't so much as even turned it on this year. I did set to download your game onto it, but just haven't gotten around to playing it (and it will probably be at least a few months before I have the time).
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 02:23
Quote: "Ouya is currently selling refurbished units for devs
$65 for 1 Ouya + 1 controller"

Thanks for the info, especially the #'s for downloads.
Ouya seems to be the way to go, so I plan on taking that journey soon.

Congrats on your game's success.
You used AppGameKit v2 for this? Tier 1 or 2?

Kaev
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded it, will play it when im at home. I hope it's good!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 10:57
I did reply in my WIP thread, since I get email notifications. But in case anyone is looking here and not over there. AppGameKit 2 is better for OUYA. And I am using tier 1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:35:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:35:32