Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Third party Push Notification service?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone had any success with using a third party Push service with AppGameKit instead of 'rolling your own'?

If so could you post some details? link to the third party site?

If rolling your own, any good sources to start with? like EasyAPN?

Cheers

LittlePIC
LarsenSerna
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2014 23:33 Edited at: 9th Oct 2014 16:27
LittlePIC, I'm using QuickBlox.
The Android API aloing with a detailed tutorial is here: http://quickblox.com/developers/SimpleSample-messages_users-android
It's easy to use and free of charge. Hope that helps you.

I think that I think, therefore I think that I am
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 09:31
We use our own server scripts for Android and iOS. Android is super simple and works very very well. Apple Push Notification Service (what EasyAPNS is made for) is fairly horrible. We have had a hell of a time with it and are moving to EasyAPNS which might be easy for someone with fairly extensive background in server IT, but not me
Main problem with APNS is that we send messages to the APNS servers just fine but for unknown reasons sometimes users just don't get them. Apple does not report any errors other than uninstalls/unregisters of your app/push token. In my opinion it is crap.
Apparently if you have better volume then APNS is mostly more successful. The kicker is that you will never know when it fails to be received by the user. So keep that in mind when setting up the notification system. We have reminder notifications go out for when players don't make their turn in a certain amount of time to help with this.

Tell me if you're looking at GCM or APNS and I can point you in the right direction for stuff. Also do you plan to send them on demand like one at a time or can you batch them and send periodically?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:31:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:31:48