Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Do you play your own games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 01:31
Do you play your own games?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 17:29
Sometimes, usually I'm sick of them by the time they're done, but I often play my old Sudoku game when bored. I think the problem is that once you've designed a level for example, you already know it, so playing it is kinda dull - it's much more interesting to play other peoples levels than your own.

I am the one who knocks...
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 23:09 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 23:11
The game (well, demo) of mine that I've played the most is my D-Zone 2D game. It's predictable after a few plays, but there are 4 difficulty settings, the hardest of which I've only completed once. It also features my voice in the music, so how could I not play it?

Second most played was probably my Canyon Runner demo, which is greatly lacking in many areas and I haven't touched it in a while.

I realize that mine are not professional-grade games, but every new project is a learning experience which will lead to much better games down the road.

I'm planning on coding a simple flying arena-shooter (if that makes sense) soon, which will involve aircraft of some sort, bullets and heat seeking missiles and a basic large indoor arena with obstacles and upgrades to find. It will be nothing short of mediocre.

666GO†O666
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 23:25 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 23:34
Yes, I think we've mentioned the developer's curse before.

I've been playing my games quite a bit lately and digging up old barely started projects. All my games tend to be arcade style or skill based games so, for me, have replay value.

Part of me does because it gives me the chance to think about what I did right and what I did wrong, to better understand other people's opinions. I also find it gives me ideas for other games, i.e. building on something I've done before. However, I also feel that I'm probably a bit of a narcissist and just like playing the games I've made.

[edit : I was writing my post at the same time as Mr Darkly so didn't see his post and just replied to VanB]

@DD

Do you find that playing an unfinished game makes you want to finish it?

I currently have a project on the go that I keep playing through but I think that's because I'm not totally sold on the game play. I also think I'm driving myself crazy at the same time with it and not coming to any decisions as to what to do.

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 19:39
Quote: "Do you find that playing an unfinished game makes you want to finish it?"

I am actually one of the worst procrastinators I know. In fact, my tendency is to get a good, strong start on a project and as soon as it's time for the thing to really gain momentum I'll lose interest and start something else.

Quote: "I currently have a project on the go that I keep playing through but I think that's because I'm not totally sold on the game play. I also think I'm driving myself crazy at the same time with it and not coming to any decisions as to what to do."

I would recommend asking someone you trust to play test what you have. An outside opinion is almost always helpful. I realize this decision comes with hesitation, as someone could try to "borrow" your assets.

I'm approaching my 3rd year of using DBPro (before that I had only used Q-BASIC) and I am starting to realize that it's no so much the simplicity or complexity of a game that makes it a success, nor is it stunning graphics, although that helps... I mean look at Angry Birds or Flappy Birds or whatever the kids play - nothing complex or stunning about that.

I believe it's none other than the HUMAN REWARD SYSTEM that makes a game work. For example, I still play Skyrim after 3 years and I always love finding and searching treasure chests. Somehow it never gets old for me. You just never know exactly what's going to be in those chests!

My advice is, trinkets - rewards - treasures - upgrades - bonuses. The only thing cool about my D-Zone game, other than blowing stuff up, are the special weapons and upgrades.

People love the sense of accomplishment they get from finding and collecting things.

666GO†O666
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2014 14:31 Edited at: 24th Aug 2014 14:35
I have quite a strict policy on not finishing my games.
I tend to not make things anyone would call games though, interesting little programs that only a programmer nerd would find interesting, I like to play around with those. That is why I love procedural generation (one of many reasons), it is one of the few times that even you the programmer don't know what to expect from your own program, it's really fun to play around with, and I have spent hours generating hundreds of pixel spaceships and character names.

Quote: "I am actually one of the worst procrastinators I know. In fact, my tendency is to get a good, strong start on a project and as soon as it's time for the thing to really gain momentum I'll lose interest and start something else."

This is me too, and I think I understand why now. It is because I have only made games for my own fun, so when it stops being fun I lose interest. If I made games thinking about the finished product and how I would like to see people play it and have fun with it, if that were my main motivation then maybe I would overcome the tedium of those boring parts in game development.

Formerly OBese87.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 18:43
It's funny how most Game Design Theory conversations turn to talking about staying motivated and the perils of procrastination.

Personally, I find continually playing a half finished game to be the worst form of procrastination.

Quote: "I would recommend asking someone you trust to play test what you have. An outside opinion is almost always helpful. I realize this decision comes with hesitation, as someone could try to "borrow" your assets."

I was thinking about just sticking it up on the forums and hoping for the best. As for having my ASSets pinched, I'll take what I can get. All jokes aside, I'm never that fussed if people steal the media from my games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:12:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:12:08