Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Scifi Scene Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 19:23 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 19:24
Hey there community!

I'm currently working on a new 3D Scene. Every models works towards a scene and the models I design for it will be sold as a pack later on.

The scene is scifi themed. It will have a young woman fighting off drones of an oppressive government between the swamped ruins of an old terraforming site. There will also be a rusty battlemech overgrown with algae in the background which is what I started the project on. It might end up a one-level minigame.

This will be set up in UDK and FPSCR.

Battlemech
When I was a kid, one of my favorite games was Mechwarrior 3. This is a nostalgic nod to the "Bushwaker" Robot. (my favorite was the owens though)
Polycount: 5874 (not yet optimised.)

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 22:58
Looks great can't wait to see it textured

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2014 23:15 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2014 23:15
Thank you! Unfortunately, that might not happen:

I was getting to unwrap the mesh, but unfortunately something went horribly wrong.
For some reason, the mesh has holes in it. Its as if the vertexes where cloned and separated on many parts of the model.
I'd either have to remodel or add aditional faces there...I'm not terribly motivated to do either, which is why this model will likely go to the
"freezer". Now, this never occured before and if someone who is more experienced in 3D apps explain to me what could cause that I'd be really grateful!

(It looks a lot less chubby with the longer legs though)

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 06:48
Hmm, I've seen that sort of thing happen in Blender when the modifier stack gets out of order involving subdivision and edge splitting. Basically, if the edges are split or otherwise made non-manifold and then subdivided, gaps will form, however if it is subdivided and then split it will remain seamless visually even though it is technically still non-manifold.

I'm not sure which package you are using, I know Max uses smoothing groups instead of edge splits and that they work somewhat differently, so I couldn't really say if the issue could be related.

Do you not have an earlier file version to restore back to?

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 01:01
Quote: " I've seen that sort of thing happen in Blender when the modifier stack gets out of order involving subdivision and edge splitting. "

I use Milkshape and Fragmotion. Your post made it dawn on me that I randomly messed with smoothing groups on this mesh...this must have caused it then Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote: "Do you not have an earlier file version to restore back to?"

Unfortunately no! I either need to model another one or something else in its place.

-Wolf

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 17:29
There's a very handy (free) program called Meshlab, I usually use it because it can decimate models while not messing up UV data. You may want to give it a shot for it's automatic hole filling command, it can be hit and miss but worth a shot.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 18:45
I use wings3d (which is free) and Fragmotion. Sometimes when loading into Fragmotion especially X files they become unwelded.
In Fragmotion goto Vertex->Weld All. Also Wings3d has a close holes
option.I have used Milkshape in the past and it will unweld when you use soothing groups.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 21:29
Thanks for your input! I tired meshlab. Its a decent program! Nice tipp

As for the welding, I never got the correct value to have it close the holes...and milkshape has never done this before. I'm confident this happened when I was working around with the smoothing groups. I shall refrain from that in the future.

As for the mesh! Fellow modeler Unfamillia fixed it for me! A very generous gesture . Next will be texturing it.

-Wolf

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 23:41
Glad it's fixed. In the future you could always go in and manually connect the vertices, though it's a big pain in the butt to do so.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2014 10:37
@wattywatts: I know, but I guess that is nobodies idea of fun

I might update this a few times before I get that mech textured. Now that unfamillia has done all this work on my mesh, I want it to look extra polished when done. In the meantime I remade some of my models to go with the look of the scene:

These can also be purchased as everything that will be part of this project.

Have a nice weekend!

-Wolf

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 01:26
The most annoying mesh I ever had to deal with. Texturing it took me an eternity and it felt like an eternity. It was a relief when I finally got the last face into place on the texture map.

I made the rusty version I need for my project and a standart gunmetal version for the store.
Its carefully specular mapped and the windows simulate a primitive reflection. As this took me rather long and I went through some pain getting this done, I hope you can indulge me throwing in a whole lot of screenshots :

[center]

-Wolf

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 04:52 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 04:52
Looks good man, I definitely prefer the rusted version.

I do have to say however that some of the metal is reading more as stone, particularly on the main chasis:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 15:29
Good catch! The normalmap has been made for the rusty version, I believe if I flatten it out, I can remove that effect.

-Wolf

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 09:22
In the robot, the missiles that are stuck beside the weapon (inward) look quite awkward.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 18:20
Quote: "In the robot, the missiles that are stuck beside the weapon (inward) look quite awkward.
"

They aren't used to being shown publicly, give them some time and they'll relax.

I had time to finish the background buildings for the scene:

Huge futuristic tower with propane tanks.
Part of the scifi pack
Around 10500 Polygons
As this looks rather dull in a rendered image due to it being a very long and narrow prop, I decided to throw a quick in-engine set of pics together so you can get a sense of scale.
[center]

Top Part of the tower with windows.

I find that these add a lot of character and scope to an outdoor scifi scene.
They are pretty huge (and I'm not that good at texturing huge objects, so it was quite some work)[/center]

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 15:32
Quote: "As for the mesh! Fellow modeler Unfamillia fixed it for me! A very generous gesture "

Always happy to help a fellow modeller!

Quote: "In the future you could always go in and manually connect the vertices, though it's a big pain in the butt to do so"

I thought I might be able to fix it with super duper Blender wizardry, however, this was not the case. So, I did in fact end up manually connecting all of the individual vertices. It took a long time, but, I felt the model (and Wolf) deserved it.

Quote: "They aren't used to being shown publicly, give them some time and they'll relax."

Best comment ever!

Good to see the new models mate. All looking great!

Cheers

Jay.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 17:56
Goodness! I forgot I also opened this thread.
The project has been up for sale a long while now, but oh well: No loose ends:

-Wolf

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 19:32
Nice texturing job

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 07:11
Somebodies been busy, Looking great. DDo or substance painter. I got the quixel suites and it sure does make a difference.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 22:59 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2015 23:05
That tower is gorgeous, Wolf great work all around.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 01:48
Thanks a lot, guys!

Quote: "DDo or substance painter."

I use Paint Shop Pro 14 and I recommend the series
Unfortunately plugins like those from quixel don't work in it. (but yeah! They are cool!)

-Wolf

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 02:45
Looking great with there stuff also. Cant knock the results at all.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:47:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:47:48