Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Editor Problem and DarkLights commands not working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 18:21
I bought few days ago DarkBasic Pro (used it for years the free version though so i am not new to it), i have Windows 8.1 and i cant get to work the new editor (it tells me to disable the compatibility mode but i didn t enabled it), so i must use the old editor version (updated 2003 instead of 2010 of the new one).
I wish to use the new editor cause i think it has less bugs and maybe more things to use but the TMG support didnt helped me (and didnt even seems to care about it, only reply was go back to win 7, which i dont have and don t want to downgrade to it just because of the editor bug)
I noticed some bugs on the old editor, for example when you try to minimize a function and then reopen it, if you try to edit the text there it doesnt update on the screen unless you scroll the page up and go back down again).
But probably the biggest problem i have is that i cant use darklights (it was included in the bonanza pack which i bought), i did installed it correctly, but if i try to click some lights commands such as "lm start", the text highlight like its a valid command, but if i compile and run the program it says "could not understand command and line x".
How can i fix this problem? i need to do some lightmaps for my game but i cant because of this bug
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 22:06
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 06:18
This editor too seems to have some problems, if i try for example "lm start" that is one of the commands of lightmapping, used by dark lights, it say could not understand command at line xxx
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 21:12
Did you install Dark Lights?

Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 02:41
yes i did install dark lights and dark shader and all the other stuff i get with the bonanza pack ( the one discounted by 91%)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 00:35 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 00:35
Installed DirectX9.0c?

Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 01:20
I do, otherwise it wouldn t work at all, also it doesn t mean anything with the error i am getting, is something related to the editor itself or some plugins added to darkbasic, i do get "could not understand command at line xxx", also some commands like set effect camera (or someting like that) compiles but has no documentation, not even the syntax i should use (like how many variables to add after the command and which ones)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 01:45
Can you explain what 'it' is?

Can you create and rotate a cube in 3D?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 01:46
Do you have the file Lightmapper.dll in your DBPro/Compiler/Plugins-licensed folder? If not then your Dark Lights installation is probably faulty.

Powered by Free Banners
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 01:52
Try the attached demo. Does that fail? If so, which line?

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 01:56
Thanks GG, on mobile 📱 about to sleep 💤...

I think DX is not installed properly or plugins not activated...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 11:36
Cescano Which version of DBPro are you running? I'm using U77RC7 which is the latest unofficial version (oops - see below ). You can find out from the DBPro editor main menu Help/About Dark Basic Professional. My copy says Version 1.074 (!! because I recently downgraded to check something and forgot to change back - guess what my next task is going to be ).

Computers are an infinite source of joy and confusion.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 20:48
Yes lightmapper.dll is on the folder.

If i try to execute your code i don t get any errors BUT the program doesn t start and the editor higlight the line:

lm start ` initialize the light map process

By the way i got a new editor now updated 2008, i found it in the DVD that TGC sent me when i bought the bonanza pack, its newer than the old one i was using so probably less bugs (old one was updated 2003), anyway, i dont know why they removed the minimizing function option which was very usefull (but bugged in the editor i used before)

For the lightmap stuff, all the lightmap commands are highlighted blue, so the editor recognises them as commands, i dont know why it doesnt start though, this editor by the way seems to have a bug that the old editor didnt had:

If i open your code just as file, and i click execute, it starts the old program i executed but not your code, and this just after opening the editor so nothing should be in memory from the old project opened, to be able to open your project i must open it as project, and doing that the program didnt start and the editor highlight that like i pasted before.

Another thing i am concerned about is why the hell the editor save the file once i click execute? this happened with all editors i used (updated 2003,2004 and 2008). If i click execute i expect just to run the program not to save the file, because if i made some mistakes and noticed them running the program obviously i would NOT to save the file!

to moderators (please remove my noob status as is annoying waiting hours to get the message added to the forum and this will take my problems to be fixed so much longer, i think its clear that i am not a spam bot, thank you)
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 20:50
I do not know how to "edit" the message instead of making a new one, by the way moderators nevermind what i said as i see my noob status went away (thank you!)
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 20:57
another thing, if i try to use the lightmapper IDE, whatever options i chose, when i press f3 to do the lightmap the program crashes
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 21:14
Oh and gandalf i updated db pro to version 7.62, i tried the version 7.7 but it screwed up my water (made with evolved shader)

For the lightmapping thing i still have to understand what exactly is (transparent texture on a plane object? object scaled on the vertical size and made black?)

By the way for the moment i managed to make static shadows using 3ds max, paint, and a little program made myself in db pro.

What i do is load the model in 3ds max, make a plane below the object (big enough to show the shadows), make a spot light pointing it from a position i know that will be the same as my light source is on my game, make the main object not visible to camera, make the plain object completely White (255,255,255) and the shadow color to (10,10,10) to make almost maximum contrast, then i set rendering to 1024*1024 and render, saving the image (bmp so its lossless as i need it for transparency).
After that i open it on paint and cut just the part i need, then i load that image on my program which check every pixel too light and making it (0,0,0) for transparency (so that the plain object part will be hidden).
Then i make a plain object in dbpro and texture that plain with that texture, making the object texture transparent, then with the command set Alpha mapping on (if i am not wrong), i set the Alpha amount to 80 to make the shadow fading with the ground and not shown as just black which would be unrealistic. Here is a screenshot on how it looks like, to me its pretty cool, but i still want to understand how ligthmaps works (i checked on internet but didn t found something very clear).
After these static shadows i will need to make dynamic shadows and that would be a major problem.

For the shadows i made myself i am pretty happy though as are accurate shadows with just 1 polygon (maybe 2 if triangulated), but i still want to understand the lightmapping in darklights to see the difference

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 22:23 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 22:28
Quote: "If i open your code just as file, and i click execute, it starts the old program i executed but not your code, and this just after opening the editor so nothing should be in memory from the old project opened, to be able to open your project i must open it as project, and doing that the program didnt start and the editor highlight that like i pasted before."

That sounds like an old bug with early versions of the editor. Which version are you using? You should be using version Build 23 June 2010 (Edit You might need the new version mentioned by John Y in his earlier reply since you are using W8.1). Check Help/About Dark Basic Professional Editor to find out.

One thing you could try is to create a new project of your own in the same folder where you put my project and copy/paste my code into your new project. Also, if you delete any existing executables in that folder then the editor cannot run the wrong exe file.

I have no idea why the editor doesn't like that particular line. I see you are using Windows 8.1. Where have you installed DBPro? I'm not familiar with the specific requirements of DBPro with Windows 8.1. Have you checked the thread?

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 23:14
I tried what you say and still the editor highligh "lm start
" and doesn t run your program.

The last editor updated 2010 doesn t work on Windows 8.1, if you try to run it, it will close automatically saying "you need to disable comatibility mode" which is not disabled, and even enabling it nothing changes (there are a couple of threads about this is think, other people getting this problem too)

DBpro is installed in C:\Program Files (386)\The Games Creator\ etc
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 23:37 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 23:39
Cescano - If you are struggling with setting up DBPro on Windows 8.1 please click on the 'Download from Windows Store' image in my signature for my app which walks you through setting up DBPro with both images and text, if you cannot understand my dotdotdot... English you can just follow all the images, I have documented EVERY installation for all the paid plug-ins including all DGS packages...

I also just ensured I had Dark Lights working on my system by simply starting it up, typing lm start and compiling the app as well as running an example demo as well, so I am certain you can get everything working through my guides, I also link to all required downloads within my app...

I am working on follow-up applications including enhanced Command Help Documentation in a standalone App, and an app which contains many useful code snippets which make use of the paid plug-ins, I focus on paid plugins to ensure everyone has the same tools and versions as well as doing my bit to help TGC in respect of being my only route into game development...

If you choose to invest in my guides I appreciate it in advance, thanks!...

EDIT

Also that Lighting tool does not work so well, you need to tweak it or use DL inside your application or create your own light mapping tool from scratch... As far as I know...

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 23:41 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 23:42
Quote: "If i try to execute your code i don t get any errors BUT the program doesn t start and the editor higlight the line:

lm start ` initialize the light map process"

I remember to see this problem long long ago . When we install and activate darklights, it generates a file into Copiler/certificates folder . something like this :

Check if you have something like this file .

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 00:30
Quote: "The last editor updated 2010 doesn t work on Windows 8.1"

I know - that's why I edited my message. You will need to follow John Y's instructions given in his link.