Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D level design

Author
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 13:17
Does anybody have any suggestions for easy ways to create 3D levels for AppGameKit? I notice there is a exporter / code-builder to get FPSC2 levels in to AGK. Will there be support for a similar thing in the 3D World Builder product perhaps?

Any 3rd party solutions?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 16:30 Edited at: 9th Sep 2014 16:31
FPS-2-AGK: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2332

I haven't used it much. Anything that will export to "obj" format [I]should[/I] work...

Edit: If you mean reloaded that won't work by the way...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
suggestion: just like TGC looked into 3rd party opensource for the AppGameKit IDE, may I suggest they look into a set of 3rd party software like 2d & 3d level designers and other important game making tools, and support their format natively so as AppGameKit can have a kind of suite like Unity etc
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 19:47
I think it depends on what kind of levels you're trying to design.

The problem with AGk... I mean to say, the challenge with AppGameKit is texturing the different parts of the level. There's no straight forward way of linking the model with the images for the textures, you have to do it with code. But it is do able.

The way I did it for Hover Car (see link in signature) was to set up an external data file that linked everything together. It's possible to make a level editor in AppGameKit to create the data file or you could just construct it manually (using notepad, for instance). I don't recommend doing it manually if there's a lot of details but it's a good way to get started.

Actually creating the level again depends on the type of level. I mainly do interiors so just use Blender and then export it.

This is my current "big" AppGameKit project (it's changed quite a bit recently).

There are no textures, yet, but the map is split into a number of sections and coloured differently, to give contrast. It was all modelled in Blender, split up and exported as a number of obj files, it's made up half a dozen bits. The obj's are then loaded and coloured individually.

It's all controlled by an external human readable text file so I can edit that, or create a completely different level, and not have to change the code.

With a bit of thought the code for loading a level in can be very concise, it all just has to be set up in a logical manner.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 19:18 Edited at: 11th Sep 2014 19:21
yeah the easiest way to get around the texturing problem is to have an atlas texture. When designing your level all you need to do is adjust the texture alignment within the scene. Your scene should only be textured with the single texture file.

Agk does not mind rendering few objects that are huge... agk does not like hundreds objects making the scene. If you can find a way to make your full scene within a few objects your doing good and will have great frame rates.

Ive done testing with a tile based engine and found bad frame drops across machines when you go over ~500 objects. This was using instanced objects and were very basic cubes for the most part.

I have also drawn up big scenes and loaded them in as one object... the framerate was much better!

Its not mentioned much but the collision detection in agk with 3d is amazing! it actualy works really good! Much better then collision detection in darkbasic without going to a 3rd party plugin.

check out this code if your interested in making a 3d level editor in agk.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212011&b=41

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 15:27:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 15:27:03