Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / WANTED! AGK expert to author an AGK course

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 16:38
Hi,

I'm looking for an AppGameKit expert who can help TGC create a video course on learning AGK. The course would be hosted on the UDEMY website.

If you know AppGameKit inside out and can create easy to follow videos with clear voice over then please get in touch.

Thanks,

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 21:14 Edited at: 15th Sep 2014 21:16
i believe the main problem is, transforming a game idea into a source code.
and before the developer must understand the usable of all the functions provided by agk/language.
about what steps u think the course should contain?
course for v1 or v2? (v2 make sense)

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 00:44
Quote: "If you know AppGameKit inside out and can create easy to follow videos with clear voice over"

It might be an idea to split the requirements.
The best person to design the course, might not have the best "voice", similarly the best presenter might not be the best at designing the course.
This would also open the idea to some of the talented international programmers who may be put off by limitations in their spoken English.

Just a thought.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 10:18
Hi,

Some good points made! Who then would be interested in creating the content and who would be interested in voicing the videos?

Our main focus is to support V2 within the course.

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 10:51
The disadvantage to this is the extra work required to ensure that the presenter doesn't misunderstand anything. It really makes a lot of sense to only have one guy. I am interested myself but have no experience with making videos. There are so many things I could teach. State programming, saving and loading, supporting multiple resolutions, input agnostics etc. I am self taught, using TGC software since DB classic.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 11:13 Edited at: 16th Sep 2014 11:27
The more I think about it, the more excited I get. How about a simple top down RPG? Including making an editor. Making use of the new array commands in v2. Possibly using Spine for character animations and replacing equipment.

I got plenty of ideas on how to make this. It would be made to work on any resolution and any device. Very simple, just 4 buttons, turn based. Lots of basic concepts can be worked into this, without making it too complicated. Things that can then be applied to any project.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 11:54
I have already begun structuring this up in my head. I have loads of experience from RTA and I am constantly thinking about RPGs so these things comes naturally. It's in my head now and will be for the next 2 hours or so while I take a walk and until I start on RTA. I have taken this week of from work so plenty of time to ponder on these things. Paul has seen my code for RTA. This will of course be less complex, better structured (using new ideas) and better commented.

Do you want a more formal application through email?

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 22:13
Well i will continue to create my videos anyway.
I don't think my english is good enough for a course, but i will do with my creations and codes.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 23:47
Quote: "The disadvantage to this is the extra work required to ensure that the presenter doesn't misunderstand anything."

The standard process is for the course designer to present the course in the best way they can, on video if appropriate. Then the professional presenter can understand the concepts, and present it as intended.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 00:53 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 00:54
I think splitting the production may be more hassle than needed--all of the videos on Udemy and elsewhere that I've seen are each done by one person acting as both programmer and presenter. They may not be the greatest speakers and sometimes have strong accents but the content is still perfectly watchable and enjoyable. A lot more work will be required to separate the programmer's presentation from the speaker, likely including a complete script that the speaker can read which then must be synchronized with the video.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 02:51
Quote: "The disadvantage to this is the extra work required"

Quote: "I think splitting the production may be more hassle than needed"

While both comments may be true, they miss the point of the suggestion, which was to open the field for more people to contribute.

If one person feels up to the task, that's great - go for it. If not, then surely it's better to have options than dismiss the idea completely.

Point in case;
Quote: "I don't think my english is good enough for a course,"
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:23
I got FRAPS for recording. Currently don't have a good video editing software but am looking into that for trailers anyway. Got some experience with editing. I currently do not have a microphone. But I've been thinking about getting a headset anyway.

I think my spoken English is quite good, especially if I focus on it and I could do multiple takes. I do work at customer support and sometimes have to speak in English. Would probably have too look up some pronunciations. Until I saw Daniel's Pong video I did not know how to pronounce integer, I have always used the Swedish pronunciation in my head. Would also have too look up some programming terminology. I pretty much never use that as I have no need of it when I code myself. Maybe that's a good thing when speaking to those who have never programmed before?

I do hate the sound of my own voice though

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:49
I used to be a BBC Producer and Presenter. I'm happy to do some voice overs if would help.

I've also got lots of video editing software - because I teach screenwriting and video production - and Camtasia, which is the best for producing tutorials.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 13:45
Wow Jim, is this you?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:14
Quote: "Wow Jim, is this you? "

Wow, that's awesome

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:14 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 15:17
No. This is me:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1208791/

Or this:

http://www.aui-magazine.net/celebs.html

where I'm holding the first ever CD publicly written on an Amiga at the DevCon in Buxton. Proof here:

http://www.iol.ie/~ecarroll/devcon.html

Things were fun (and scary) in the Amiga days. Younger people should check out the numbers in this article. 64 megs was a LOT of RAM. A CD writer cost over £4000. A CD blank cost about £22.

I think Lee Bamber of TGC was there for that DevCon.

I did NOT program F19-Stealth Fighter! I did do several CDTV adaptations for games, including Theme Park and Syndicate.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:25
Ohh, you wrote an episode of Boon! - I fricken loved that program

I am the one who knocks...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:38 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 15:38
Tucker's luck and The Bill too!

How much further off topic can this thread go?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:43
Quote: "No. This is me:"

Still awesome

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:43
@rick are you mainly just looking for new examples to showcase v2. but at the same time explained while written?

I could probably find the time to do some...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:16
Quote: "How much further off topic can this thread go?"

Just answering bax's question! Do you want my science fiction credits as well????

Seriously, I've been a professional in many media since just after the dinosaur extinction, and I'm happy to help.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:22
today i think about the topics for learning agk.
editor
display settings
variables/udt's
images/sprites
user input joy/mouse
math
file i/o save/load data
strings
debug
music/sound
particels
physics
network/multiplayer
sensor input

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:55 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 17:56
Sorry to continue the off topic debate but yes please Jim

EDIT: Actually it's on topic if we're discussing your CV for the job
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 18:19
I think people would get a bit bored!

Here's one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Years-Best-Science-Fiction-Twenty-Eighth/dp/0312569505

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 00:52
So, been thinking about this for a while now. How I would teach the new IDE, commands and how to code a game. I read a lot of board game rules and teach them to my friends.

So as I've said before I would be using a simple RPG as an example. If you cut down an RPG and make it super simple it will still cover almost all aspects of 2D game programming. Except physics. And structured the right way you can start simple and then build on it and make the course longer if needed. Going with a real project is so much more stimulating then covering separate topics and shows how to actually making a game. Which I think is the hardest part for new programmers to understand. How all these commands actually turn into a working game.

We will be starting with an editor. Which is way easier than creating an actual game and a huge timesaver. Almost every game would benefit from an editor. This covers all the basics like sprites, images, text, camera, input, files etc.

First lesson: Starting AppGameKit for the first time. Creating a new project. Describing the main.agc file. Going through what the initial code does and finally running it. With the suggested default code I gave to Paul, this would be the perfect start.

Second lesson: Every programmer needs to understand variables. We got the screen FPS so why not use that with integers, strings and floats. Print stuff to the screen. We can also get the mouse X and Y coordinates and print them. We will be needing them for the editor anyway.

Third lesson: Let's start structuring up this project. Create a new file and include it. Create your first type, that we will be using constantly throughout the project. We'll be going into screen resolution and setting things up for the way an editor works. This is different from how I would make most games.

Fourth lesson: Time for sprites, and also functions. We will make the basics for the UI. That can scale to any resolution in real time. Like if the user maximizes the window.

Fifth lesson: Creating a grid. We can now start moving the camera/screen and see the results. We will be using keyboard input for this. We can now talk screen and world coordinates. Using the mouse screen coordinates we can show the world tile being pointed at.

And then it goes on from there Thoughts anyone? This is a crash course on how to make a game. Showing how easily it can be done in AppGameKit, when you know what you are doing.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 00:35
Well, just put an order for a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset. I have been thinking about getting a headset for months to play with friends and this one was on sale right now. I have seen video reviews of it and the mic seems quite good for a gaming headset. I have also tried recording video from AppGameKit using Fraps and that works just fine. Will try it with the headset when it comes and check if I sound OK.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 03:38
Gaming headsets are horrific for good audio recording. They offer too much mic noise, they focus on sound quality through the speakers rather than through the mike.

For decent sound recording you need at very minimum a Blue Yeti standard USB microphone. Don't be tempted with the Blue Yeti Pro unless you have an XLR mixer board it won't offer you any benefit.

The blue yeti's biggest issue is that it picks up noise through the base of it's stand, even though it claims sound damping rubber, in reality it doesn't work all that great. I worked around this by grabbing a microphone stand and hanging it upside down from it. IF you get the right kind stand with a thread you can also screw it onto the stand.

If you want to go really fancy, you can grab a sprung ring mount this will help filter out any jarrs to the stand itself.

All in all the Blue Yeti is the most affordable, radio broadcast quality mic I can think of.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
From the USB Microphone point of view, I heard that the Rode Podcaster is also a very good one.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 10:02
I know it doesn't compare to a proper mic. Even the Blue snowball that I see a lot of youtubers use is way better then what's on a gaming headset. But that alone costs more than the headset. The Yeti costs more than twice what I paid for the Siberia v2. Now, if I were to do this video series I would start up a company and then I can buy equipment with untaxed money and without VAT and that makes a massive difference. With social fees, income tax and VAT I think we pay somewhere around 70% tax in Sweden. That makes equipment way cheaper for a company.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 15:07
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am currently discussing this with a candidate so I think the position is filled.

It's still great to see so many people offering. I believe AGK2 will be a much bigger hit than AGK1. As such users will be looking for resources to help them learn more about AGK2, so please still consider making your own videos and tutorials if you wish.

Development Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 15:54
@RickV
Quote: "so please still consider making your own videos and tutorials if you wish."

if i find free time i want do this.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Rick I would suggest TGC to keep an eye on user videos and if you spot good quality ones you list them somewhere on the website as part of the resources to check
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
My input would be...

Tutorials should be about getting concepts across whilst covering commands etc rather than trying to get a great game at the end. I do a lot of 3D and have watched numerous tutorials. Some rapidly fall into paint-by-numbers where at the end you're left with little transferable/reusable knowledge - you feel you could replicate what you've just watched but you don't have any added confidence about how to approach the next project. Others I've watched make you feel like you can do anything at the end because they open your mind to new concepts and explain things in a generalised form that will be applicable to future projects. So my 2 cents, don't worry too much about the end result - don't be constrained by it, make it about getting solid concepts covered.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's an example of a concept that threw me and made me feel like I didn't understand things when I started...

Variables set in a function, unless specifically defined as a global variable, do not retain their data when the function ends. I got that concept....but then if you say moved a sprite in a function, the inherent variables of the sprite's X and Y position WERE remembered on exiting the function. I assumed they wouldn't and that threw me.

If this had been explained to me as a concept it would have been great. Maybe everyone's a bit sharper than me...but who knows but general explaining of concepts like that are super useful IMO.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 21:41
Quote: "so please still consider making your own videos and tutorials if you wish."

I might do that. I am currently looking at Udemy. I see it as a way to use my new ideas and concepts, learn something new and maybe make a bit of cash.

Quote: "Tutorials should be about getting concepts across whilst covering commands etc rather than trying to get a great game at the end."

My idea is to cover concepts and commands and then use them to make something. I am thinking of making a simple and functional game where I can, step by step, introduce new commands and concepts to the viewer. Rather than covering commands and concepts by themselves, this shows how they work together.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 01:37 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2014 01:37
I disagree a little about microphones. On the whole, a USB microphone is going to be better than a desktop microphone in anything but a totally silent environment, because headsets have hypercardioid fields, which have very close focus.

Try for a silent environment if possible. There is no point in using an expensive microphone if you have loads of fan and traffic noise - it will make the situation worse.

Never have the microphone right in front of your mouth. You are not a pop singer. About 5 or 6 centimeters to the left or right is optimum.

Any decent headset will be fine for this purpose. Unless you live in a recording studio you will waste lots of money buying expensive microphones.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 11:12
Quote: "Try for a silent environment if possible. There is no point in using an expensive microphone if you have loads of fan and traffic noise - it will make the situation worse."

I saw a video of a girl going from a Siberia to a Yeti and while her voice sounded better she got this weird background humming.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 13:15
I have made two of my computers totally silent by putting 750 watt power supplies in, plus silent fan GTX graphics boards (760 and 770). The fans on the power supplies never come on - they won't until the power load goes above 50%. I added a Soundblaster Z series audio board to one, and get very good 5-1 surround playback and very good recording quality.

My office also has wood panelling standing off the wall for a couple of inches (it was originally a piano-teaching room), which reduces sound reflections, so for a more "natural" voice sound I can use a Shure D202 on a mic stand.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 15:15
Finally getting my PSU replaced. I have had intermittent noise problems with the fan. My new gaming PC is otherwise quite silent.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 19:43
Quote: "Gaming headsets are horrific for good audio recording. They offer too much mic noise"

Just fit a condom over the mic

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 20:10
Used or unused?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 23:02
Quote: "Used or unused?"

Depends if you need squelch on your audio input.

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 23:04
Rick,

Contact me through my contact info.

Thanks,

- Jesse
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 22:18 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 22:19
I did some sound testing today, My built in Sound Blaster Recon 3D hardware does amazing noise cancellation and together with my headset I get really good sound recordings. Will see about making a test video according to the Udemy specs.

Could be an interesting way to fund extra dev time for RTA.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My son and I will get a Rode Podcaster soon. He is into Let's play vids and from all the reviews I saw, the Rode I like better than the Yeti.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 13:16
So, got some video captured with Fraps in 1980x1200 30FPS. I made a simple cut in the free version of Lightworks and saved it to 720p. It looks absolutely horrible. I can barely read the text. Do I need to record in 720p to get a good end result or can I use some other software first to scale it down? Would prefer some software that can also crop away the task bar.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 14:26
You could try this, I use the full version but I think the free one will give you what you need:

http://www.serif.com/free-video-editing-software/

If you are recording at 1980x1200 in Fraps:

* You should set the project to 1080p which is 1920 x 1080, which is a standard format.
* MoviePlus does cropping, you use the Transform layer of the video.
* Export to MP4, XVid or WMV to compress the file.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 20:50
Thanks for the tips BatVink. I have not heard of MoviePlus before. From the description it sounds more like what I am after. Lightworks is more complex than what I need.

Udemy wants their videos in 720p and I wonder if I have to set my monitor to 720p to make everything visible. Which is slightly annoying when I only have one monitor.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 23:39
I've looked at video tutorials of MoviePlus and it's the style of movie editor I have been looking for. Still haven't had the time to use it just yet. I hope I can tune the audio in the program. When I listen to my recording using my headset I sound OK. On my speakers I sound almost like I have a cold

I have also been thinking about my course plan. Can't seem to drop the idea The course will now have an introduction video and then be divided up into 3 sections. Those are Basics, Editor and Game. In the Basics section I am planning 4 lessons. First is a look at the IDE itself. Then I will step by step go through the default code and what it does. Lesson three is all about variables, how to use and declare them. In lesson four we look at sprites. It's something you can skip if you have used AppGameKit before. Then I can move on to the editor.

So here's what the current plan looks like:

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 06:13
I use FRAPs -> Blender -> Handbrake for all of our videos. FRAPs is the only one that cost me money Blender handles transitions, text overlay, resizing, and tons more that I don't use. Handbrake I use to have control over the final video file size and compression.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 10:48:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 10:48:37