Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Exporting DirectX model?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Konichiwa, everyone! I found this great source code that apparently exports DirectX models which is exactly what I've been looking for - for a very long time now. But is there some way somebody can help me make this code also export an X file's textures as well as animations?

Link to original code:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=123576&b=6

DirectX_XPorter.dbp:

Note that you'll need Ian M's plugins to make this work.

Thank you SO much for all your advice!

Have a great evening!

Sasuke

平和愛ユニティ
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 06:27 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 06:31
.x doesn't store any actual textures, the best you can do is reference the texture's file name as a material:

What are you trying to export from exactly? .dbo?

If it is from any other format, you would almost certainly be better off using a modeling package to do the conversion. Blender is free, has a good .x exporter (written by a TGC forum member no less) and can import from most of the common model formats, it can usually preserve textures and animations and can definately include this data in the export.

Sasuke18
Years of Service
User Offline
Konichiwa, Ortu! I am trying to make a program which can export .x animated, multi-textured models. I plan to use this because X is the most common export for DirectX-enabled computers. I prefer not to have to make the users of my program download something such as "Blender" just to be able to use my program.

Thank You again for the help!

Sasuke

平和愛ユニティ
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 18:37
Ortu has shown you what you need to write to the X file in your exporter. You need to study how it is done in actual X files and also check how X files are constructed. Documentation on the X file format can be found in the MS DX9 SDK which you can download for free or look up directly on the MS website:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb147192(v=vs.85).aspx