Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK v2 Alpha 5.1 Live Programming with Pong

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2014 22:21
Hi guys,

This is a live programming exercise for Pong, using the latest version of AppGameKit v2, Alpha 5.1 release. I program a basic medialess version of pong using the new IDE from scratch without referencing anything.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 00:00
Daniel - That was very brave and very enjoyable to watch. Great to see other programmers scratching their heads!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 10:41
Thanks Jim. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 11:01
Enjoyed watching this too! Not sure I'd want everyone to see some of the stupid mistakes I make You managed to make a fun, interesting and informative video without making a fool of yourself which is more than I could do I think.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 21:18
Daniel, fantastic, well done, great to put a face to the voice.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 16:36
Quite fun to watch. You did some things I thought was weird but then we all do code differently. Did you know that your project automatically saves whenever you compile? You also had broadcasting on for the entire video, that has to be stopped manually now.

Retrific
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 20:04
Very interesting video. Thank you very much.

I also learnt something new - I didn't realise you could find/replace in selections. Yes, it was probably always there, I just didn't notice.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 11:13
Thanks baxslash and Tone

@Retrific - To be honest I've only just started realising that I could do replaces like that as well, I've recently been having to remove a lot of content from scrivener generated XHTML files (styles and the like) and learned a lot about creating expressions. This made me spent a lot of time in the search/ replace dialogues.

@Digital - Yeah we're all mostly self taught around here, I'm no exception. We're going to come up with different ways of doing things. But if you see me doing something wrong, I'm always up for constructive criticism. Any new coding techniques will ultimately make me a better community teacher.

To be honest the save-all thing I do, has more to do with my authoring habits. There's nothing worse than writing 3000 words, having the software crash on you, and then realising you never hit save-all. So I maintain this habit no matter which software product I use. If I do it for one, but not another, there's a risk I'll fall into bad habits again.

I'm not sure what you mean by broadcast, in 5.0 I think broadcasting doesn't work at all.

I'm about to install the alpha 6 update however.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:04
Quote: "Yeah we're all mostly self taught around here, I'm no exception. We're going to come up with different ways of doing things. But if you see me doing something wrong, I'm always up for constructive criticism. Any new coding techniques will ultimately make me a better community teacher."

You wrote: ball.sx = ball.sx - ball.sx - ball.sx + 0.025
Took me a while to figure out what you were doing.
I would have done: ball.sx = 0 - ball.sx + 0.025
Which would have worked for both ways, instead of using abs().

Quote: "To be honest the save-all thing I do, has more to do with my authoring habits. There's nothing worse than writing 3000 words, having the software crash on you, and then realising you never hit save-all. So I maintain this habit no matter which software product I use. If I do it for one, but not another, there's a risk I'll fall into bad habits again."

OK

Quote: "I'm not sure what you mean by broadcast, in 5.0 I think broadcasting doesn't work at all."

If you click the red arrow in the toolbar you start broadcasing, until you click the red X thing to stop it. The green arrow is now for compile and run. Which works fine for me BTW.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 14:34
you know the 0 - ball.sx trick never occurred to me, I'm stealing that one!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 01:47
Just wondering, what software did you use to record this?

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 00:36 Edited at: 19th Sep 2014 00:38
Camtasia. Running under Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac OS.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:38:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:38:29