Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2 Alpha 6

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 22:40 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 04:15
I've added Alpha 6 to the downloads page with the following changes (some of these you might recognise from 5.1 and 5.2, they have been merged into the Alpha 6 release)

Key points are
* Broadcasting now supported on Mac
* Export to APK on Windows and Mac
* Export to IPA on Mac
* New sensor commands on iOS and Android
* GPS support on all platforms (where available)

I've done my best to test the export functions, but there may be something specific to my machine that made it all work, so let me know if you spot anything broken. You shouldn't need to install anything for Android export. For iOS you will need an Apple developer account, a provisioning profile for your app, and the corresponding certificate and private key in your keychain.

Edit:
Known Issues
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 23:13 Edited at: 16th Sep 2014 23:14
@Paul

Thank you, downloading now.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 23:29
Awesome, can't wait to try building IPA's on the Mac! I'll try to test it on a real project ASAP...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
keep them coming

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 23:53
Say, did Load/Save Array ever make it into AGK2? I know the stretch goal for it was reached, but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

I've put a couple of projects aside waiting on these commands.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 23:58
Quote: "did Load/Save Array ever make it into AGK2?"

Not yet, I will get around to it at some point
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 00:01
Quote: "Not yet, I will get around to it at some point "

Excellent. In the meantime I'll go back to playing games.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 00:12
Another download bites the click!

Still waiting on the enhanced 3D functions... and Physics!

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to see the new commands but sadly for me it just crashed out on every single bit of compiled code.

I tried resetting the compiler paths but that's made things worse and no matter what I do it can't see the compiler path anymore. If I point to the location in previous AppGameKit mac build it works fine (with older compiler files).

As it's an .app it seems to dislike being messed with at all so it's not happy when I merge files etc.

The log keeps referring to AGK: being a folder or then not a folder when I compile now.

I'm sure there's something simple going on here or folder / pref related. Really looking forward to playing with the new commands.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 04:06 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 04:17
Quote: "for me it just crashed out on every single bit of compiled code"

Sounds like a mismatched compiler and player

Quote: "I tried resetting the compiler paths but that's made things worse"

It looks like the default compiler path may be incorrect on Windows, but the path on Mac should be fine as it recalculates itself every time the app is run. You could try deleting the folder ~/.config/agk which will set everything in the IDE back to default.

Edit: I did some testing and found out that placing the Mac IDE in a path with spaces causes errors like you describe. For now place the AGK2.app file in a path without spaces.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul,

Dragging the .app solved the compiling issue but still everything just crashes out now and asks me to report or ignore. I think there's something alpha 6 doesn't like on my mac.

Process: AppGameKit Player [11373]
Path: /Volumes/VOLUME/*/game.app/Contents/MacOS/AGK Player
Identifier: com.thegamecreators.AGKTestAppMacOS
Version: 1.089 (1089)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [256]
Responsible: AppGameKit Player [11373]
User ID: 503

Date/Time: 2014-09-17 02:22:48.526 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
abort() called
*** error for object 0x225: pointer being freed was not allocated

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 04:29
Does this happen with a particular project or all of them?
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I'm getting weird things. One project just crashes.

The other one is strange as I can't work out why when I run it I get an error message about encountering a return statement when not in a gosub when it's a simple label and then return which runs in alpha 5 without any problems.

The render to image example works fine so I'm a bit miffed.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 04:49
Please send me the project that crashes so I can try to replicate it.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 04:49 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 04:51
Cool! Now I'm starting to wish I backed V2 after all Is it still possible to back V2 in any way?

Also, did you end up considering my suggestion (in an old thread about something or other) about intellisense working with command initials? ie. type SSP and it'll suggest all of these:

Type SSPosi and it'll suggest SetSpritePosition() and SetSpritePositionByOffset()

It would make coding considerably faster once you get the hang of it.

Also, just one tiny other thing, does the intellisense order it's suggestion alphabetically or by how often you use each command? I find it really annoying when you start typing a commonly used command and it suggests something I've only ever used maybe once

Quote: "* GPS support on all platforms (where available)"

This should make Engineer happy

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 04:55
Quote: "Is it still possible to back V2 in any way?"

The page content isn't quite ready yet but you can pledge here.

Quote: "did you end up considering my suggestion ... about intellisense working with command initials? ie. type SSP"

I couldn't think of a way to do it at the time but I've made a note of it.

Quote: "does the intellisense order it's suggestion alphabetically"

Yes, I don't think that will change any time soon due to the way it works.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok project sent (hopefully).

I'll send over the other project if you like where I'm getting the return / gosub error. It seems a bit strange as I forced 2 goto's where the error occurred and the error jumped forward through the code. It might be my coding but the code has worked from V2 up till alpha 5.

PS (aside from recent issues) I'm loving the mac editor, it's a game changer being able to code natively on the mac and compile etc without having to run virtual machines.

Oh it's exciting that Poser (character creation software) have released a game dev version which lets users use any of their own content (.fbx meshes etc in your own games). This may prove handy for the future when AppGameKit builds on it's 3D command set.

Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul for your help.

If any other mac users have any crashes, odd compiler issues it's worth deleting the generated .app and .byc files in your project folders as these for me caused the issues and sending both to trash before a re-compile fixed everything.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul for the enhancement of the autocomplete box. But I prefer to get a complete set of commands and not a partially list with the 3 dots indicading that there are more commands. What was the reason to implement the "3 dot" thingy?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 08:05 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 08:05
In the export dialogs, you can only pick one icon file. What about the other sizes of icons? Aren't they requiered to be there when you want to publish to the itunes appstore?
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 08:45 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 08:46
Hi TGC...

The New Alpha 6 is great... all is working...
The Export To apk is great...
Please, please, please add Interstitial Ads for Google !!!

Thanks
Sascha
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 09:45
Paul, maybe I am missing something but I can't set the window size or set to fullscreen on Mac. Does it use the setup.agc file at all?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 11:13
Since v2 have commands for everything that's in setup.agc I don't think it should be used anymore. I have not been using it for quite some time. It also seems weird to have it included in a release.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:43 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 15:15
Paul - Alpha 6
Whenever I start the program on Windows, or when I click OK in the preference dialog the message window expands to take up about 80% of the height. BTW, did a complete uninstall of alpha 5.

Never mind, this problem was solved after a reboot.

Did you include themes for darkening the sidebar and the message window? If so I can't find them. I quite like Geany Tango Dark, but would prefer everything in that color scheme.

As soon as I type ( after a command the "tooltip" for that command shows up. There's a lot of things that will make this disappear and it won't come back again. Would it be possible to have it appear again whenever I edit anything within ( and ) and there's nothing else to show? Also always displaying the tip for the current command at the bottom row, that is the command where the cursor is currently located. Both on or after the command. These things would be such a timesaver.

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 13:01
Great work Paul!

APKs generated from alpha 6 crash on my Motorola Xoom.

I built a version of the same code using the online builder (built against 2.4) and that didn't crash. The only difference in the two logs that I could spot was this:

The log file is attached.

Twitter: @itanican

Attachments

Login to view attachments
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 13:20
@ Wilf... habe you check the Compiler path ? I must change it form 05 Tod the 06 ditectory... thats work for me... i have for every Version a directory created....
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 14:46
Aha that worked, thank sdl!

Twitter: @itanican
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 15:40 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 15:41
Paul:
Regarding new projects. Why is it asking me if I want to create the directory? This makes no sense to me and the dialog looks like an error message, like I did something wrong. Wouldn't it be better to only inform the user if I am trying to use an already existing project folder?

Can we get rid of the setup.agc file now? And instead start every project like this. Where *name* and *date* are automatically filled in? And perhaps stick to a more modern 720p resolution that is better suited for multiple platforms? And some consistency with spaces? Not sure if set virtual resolution should be in or not. That differs from the previous percentage system default. Seem like the internal default is 1024x768 which makes setting the screen resolution to 1280x720 look weird. So I left it in for now. But maybe the default should be 720p?

There's no way to delete files from within the editor. Could that be added to the menu when right-clicking on a file?

Oh, and the default saving location is Users\Name\AGK Projects. Shouldn't it be Users\Name\My Documents\AGK Projects? It took a while to find the project folder at first. Also My Documents is a lot more common. It's easy to access. And if you want to backup your documents you also get your AppGameKit projects.

BTW, do we still need the files to be created within the My Documents\AGK folder? That always looks unprofessional to me. Yes the files are deleted by the folders remain.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 16:26 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 16:27
@paul,
if u have time,please can u save the export .apk settings
in the agk project file?
today i peek in new alpha 6, great work

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 16:30
Quote: "please can u save the export .apk settings in the agk project file?"

I second that

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 16:43
I tried to open an old V1 project in V2, and tried to make a new project file in the same folder since the V1 project files could not be opened in V2, and then AppGameKit V2 wrote over the exixting main file, and I did not have a recent backup... lost alot of code :-(

AGK should give a warning before it overwrites files!!!

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 16:45
Quote: "I tried to open an old V1 project in V2"

Old projects needs to be imported.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:05 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 17:06
@pawprints
Quote: "Thanks Paul for your help.

If any other mac users have any crashes, odd compiler issues it's worth deleting the generated .app and .byc files in your project folders as these for me caused the issues and sending both to trash before a re-compile fixed everything."

Thanks, that was confuzzling me for a while, but after doing that it works like a charm.

@DA
Quote: "Did you include themes for darkening the sidebar and the message window? If so I can't find them. I quite like Geany Tango Dark, but would prefer everything in that color scheme.
"

That only changes the actual code theme. To change the IDE theme, you have to go to a config file to load a different one. There is a dark theme (ClearlooksDark) that complements Tango Dark perfectly and darkens everything nicely. (Where the file that you have to edit is located depends on your OS.)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:21 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 17:26
Quote: "That only changes the actual code theme. To change the IDE theme, you have to go to a config file to load a different one. There is a dark theme (ClearlooksDark) that complements Tango Dark perfectly and darkens everything nicely. (Where the file that you have to edit is located depends on your OS.) "

Ah! Did not realize that was in the Changing IDE Theme.txt file. Looks awesome, except for the weird 3D effect added to selected tabs.

The Run and Broadcast icons needs to have their edges fixed to work with a non-white background.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 17:53
So, I've finally got around to alter the color of the numbers to pink instead of green like the strings. Which looks great.

But I can't figure out how to remove the white faded lines on the sides of the selected tabs. I don't like it how it makes the tabs look thicker on top. It's not a huge deal but if anyone can find where to make a change that would be appreciated.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 18:10 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 18:12
@paul,
please can u add a return value with index at insert?
and i think a better name for insert is add

a as TTest
a.name ="Hallo"
myArray as TTest[100]
index=myArray.insert(a) //sometimes useful
myArray.insert(a) //normal syntax

Timshark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 18:48
@Paul

I´m testing on mac and Geany asks this question before starting up:

"Configuration directory could not be created (Permission denied).
There could be some problems using Geany without a configuration directory.
Start Geany anyway?"

How do I fix this?

I never want what I know.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 18:49 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 18:59
Quote: "I prefer to get a complete set of commands and not a partially list with the 3 dots indicading that there are more commands. What was the reason to implement the "3 dot" thingy?"

That's how it was implemented in Geany, I don't know if there was a performance issue or something, but I'll see what I can do.

Quote: "In the export dialogs, you can only pick one icon file."

It is scaled to produce all the needed icons, that's why it should be at least 96x96 (or 152x152 on iOS) but it can be any size.

Quote: "Please, please, please add Interstitial Ads for Google !!!"

I have made a note of it.

Quote: "Does it use the setup.agc file at all?"

Currently no, I must have forgotten when rewriting the Mac interpreter, but you can change it with SetScreenResolution()

Quote: "the message window expands to take up about 80% of the height"

There was a change to the way the height is stored in the settings so if you had an old version of the IDE installed it would have set an incompatible height value (saved in %AppData%/Local/agk). Once you resize the window in the new version it will get overwritten.

Quote: "after a command the "tooltip" for that command shows up. There's a lot of things that will make this disappear and it won't come back again"

Yes, I've noticed that as well, I'll see what I can do.

Quote: "Regarding new projects. Why is it asking me if I want to create the directory? This makes no sense to me and the dialog looks like an error message"

You're right, I'll remove that for the next version.

Quote: "Can we get rid of the setup.agc file now? And instead start every project like this. Where *name* and *date* are automatically filled in?"

I'll keep the parsing of the setup.agc file since existing projects might rely on it, but I will remove it from the new project process. I'll also update the main.agc file to have the commands and comments you mention.

Quote: "And perhaps stick to a more modern 720p resolution that is better suited for multiple platforms?"

Since we still target XP there might still be some people out there on 1024x768, crazy I know, but it is easy to change if you want 720p and a new user on 1024x768 won't get unexplained window resizing on their first project.

Quote: "There's no way to delete files from within the editor. Could that be added to the menu when right-clicking on a file?"

That might be useful, I'll make a note of it.

Quote: "the default saving location is Users\Name\AGK Projects. Shouldn't it be Users\Name\My Documents\AGK Projects?"

I guess that makes more sense, I will change it for the next version.

Quote: "do we still need the files to be created within the My Documents\AGK folder?"

I'll move it to the AppData/Local/AGKApps directory

Quote: "if u have time,please can u save the export .apk settings in the agk project file?"

Sounds useful, I'll make a note of it

Quote: "AGK V2 wrote over the exixting main file"

I've changed it so a new project will no longer create a main.agc file if one already exists, sorry about your code

Quote: "But I can't figure out how to remove the white faded lines on the sides of the selected tabs."

The ClearlooksDark theme is controlled by share\themes\ClearlooksDark\gtk-2.0\gtkrc (open it in wordpad) I don't know what all of it does but there are some colors in there that you can change.

Quote: "please can u add a return value with index at insert?"

The last index will always be array.length

Quote: "Configuration directory could not be created (Permission denied)."

The configuration directory on Mac is ~/.config/agk which expands to "Users/<me>/.config/agk", ".config" is a hidden folder so you have to follow these instructions to see if it's there.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 19:32
Paul:
Great

I think you missed this one since it wasn't directed at you: The Run and Broadcast icons needs to have their edges fixed to work with a non-white background.

Quote: "The ClearlooksDark theme is controlled by share\themes\ClearlooksDark\gtk-2.0\gtkrc (open it in wordpad) I don't know what all of it does but there are some colors in there that you can change."

Yeah, found the file already. But I can't figure out what controls those lines. The things I've tried have not worked.

Quote: "Once you resize the window in the new version it will get overwritten."

Nope, it doesn't. I tried turning off Save window position and geometry and that made it stick to a very small size with only 1 tab showing. Now altering that setting does nothing. Whenever I restart the editor or click OK in the preferences it goes back to that small size. It's an improvement but still a bit annoying.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 19:35
@paul,
Quote: "The last index will always be array.length"

yes but i want it in one call.
if insert() return array.length would be fine.
i did not try this syntax, array.insert(xy).length would also be ok.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 20:18
Quote: "The Run and Broadcast icons needs to have their edges fixed to work with a non-white background."

Not sure what I can do about that but I'll take a look.

Quote: "Yeah, found the file already. But I can't figure out what controls those lines."

Me neither, main thing I found was that the colors in the second line seem to effect most things.

Quote: "Whenever I restart the editor or click OK in the preferences it goes back to that small size."

I just did some tests and if you resize the message window and then close the editor it doesn't save, but if you resize the window and then click somewhere else to make it auto hide then it will be saved, I'll see if I can fix that.

Quote: "yes but i want it in one call."

I'll have a think but I'm not convinced, "if insert()" would always be true as an insert can never fail.
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 20:51 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 21:40
to Paul Johnston:

unfortunatly, shortcuts for copy-past and undo-redo still do not works in dialogs such as 'Find', 'Preferences' and 'Export Android APK' on Windows with russian localization of input.
but I found a 'Find Usage' and it is awesome!

'Close All' in 'File' menu do not close projects, only files.

I suggest to drop question for 'Wrap search and find it again?' and do search wrapping by default or create an option for this.

to Digital Awakening:

I guess you like also
https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/blob/master/screenshots/monokai.png
https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/blob/master/screenshots/steampunk.png
https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/blob/master/screenshots/dark.png

I prefer Monokai.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 21:09
Quote: "I just did some tests and if you resize the message window and then close the editor it doesn't save, but if you resize the window and then click somewhere else to make it auto hide then it will be saved, I'll see if I can fix that."

Seems like it only saves the size if it is set to auto hide. I don't use that feature, at least currently. I don't think there was a problem with this in alpha 5. I remember it saving correctly.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 21:14 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 08:13
Thank you for the ultra fast fix Paul, did you discover some new energy drink lately ?

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 21:58
Quote: "I guess you like also"

I have modified the existing Geany Tango Dark to my own liking.

CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Paul for including the Export to APK, but could you make including an icon optional?

Thanks

Amd Quad Core FX-4100 3.6MHz,GTX550Ti 1GB GDDR5,8GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 Pro
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 23:24 Edited at: 17th Sep 2014 23:31
Okay, I fixed the path to compiler, I think. Now it's telling me

15:21:25: Process failed (Failed to execute child process (Invalid argument))

When I try to run or compile the default new program. Anything else I should try?

Whoops, never mind. I closed the editor, and windows popped up an error message that said AGK2 would run in compatibility mode from now on. I tried AGK2 again and it works now.

traumvogel
Years of Service
User Offline
I suggest to enable the IDE to automatically load the last opened project again at startup in a similar fashion V1 did with opening the default workspace on startup (configurable in the settings).
traumvogel
Years of Service
User Offline
Can the editor be fixed to keep the ordering of the open files tabs from the last session? As it is possible in the editor to sort the open files tabs to my liking the environment should save and restore this ordering to make real sense. Thanks!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 05:06
Quote: "unfortunatly, shortcuts for copy-past and undo-redo still do not works in dialogs such as 'Find', 'Preferences' and 'Export Android APK' on Windows with russian localization of input."

I'll see if I can find a way to test it.

Quote: "'Close All' in 'File' menu do not close projects, only files."

Technically it is behaving as designed, I'll rename it "Close All Documents" and then create a new item for closing all projects.

Quote: "I suggest to drop question for 'Wrap search and find it again?' and do search wrapping by default or create an option for this."

There is an option for it in General->Miscellaneous

Quote: "Than you for the ultra fast fix Paul"

It was only a couple of lines to check the file already exists, and bugs that might overwrite code get priority!

Quote: "could you make including an icon optional?"

The current default icon is just a place holder that I don't really want to see being used, it isn't even centered correctly. But if I find a suitable icon to use then I suppose it could be optional.

Quote: "I suggest to enable the IDE to automatically load the last opened project"

Quote: "Can the editor be fixed to keep the ordering of the open files tabs from the last session?"

I'll make a note of these.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:53:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:53:42