Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've finished (until the next bug appears!) a map editor for a platform game I'm gradually building over time. It allows me to create two layer maps along with secret passages etc. Just thought I'd post an image of it as I always like yo see what others are working on - see attachment. Excuse the poor tile graphics, they are just place holders for developing and testing the tile attribute part. I've also started the game framework for the platform game - got parallax scrolling sorted and map loading and unloading. Next step is to detect tile attributes (solid, dangerous, slippery etc) and then move onto the character controller....Then the fun really begins! THe next editor to build will be the enemy/moving platform sprite placer but first things first - getting a character jumping around on platforms.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 03:58
Is your editor written in AppGameKit? Looking good!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers! Yes. It's Tier 1. It was probably too big a project for me to start with having last really programmed on Amos about 20 years ago! If I did it now it would be leaner, cleaner, faster and more flexible...but it should do for my needs. The actual game and next editor (sprite placer) will be better. For now though, it allows my to copy and paste chunks, have overlays so I can try ideas out etc and integrated secret passage overlays etc so whilst not perfect there's quite a lot in there.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 11:09
That editor looks very capable and like a lot of work on the UI

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
The UI I tried to keep simple and clear (yellow = on). I'm a fan of flat buttons for utility software...though I recognise that again the UI could be improved with more though....still it works!

I might have to start a thread of the game development - I like to read others like yours DA...gives you inspiration.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 14:45
Thanks Do that!

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 15:40
Really nice looking editor.

One of my pet hates is writing tools, especially level editors, so respect to anyone that takes the time to write a good, well designed one

haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 16:49
wow pretty nice man !!!
it looks like you put alot of thought into it and it shows
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers guys! You can see it in action here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212269&b=48

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 06:32:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 06:32:22