Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK version 2 Alpha 7.1

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 04:28
I've uploaded Alpha 7.1 to the downloads area with the following fixes

and for those that missed it, the Alpha 7 changes

The iOS libs and projects have been upgraded to iOS 8, so I recommend upgrading to XCode 6 and the iOS 8 SDK if you want to use them, I don't know what happens if you try to use them in XCode 5 with the iOS 7 SDK. You can still target down to iOS 5.1.1. (Side note: Apple are removing armv7s from the default settings since those devices can run armv7 instead, but armv7s can give a slight performance increase on iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and iPad 4 so I've set AppGameKit projects to use it, you can remove it to save 3.5MB by using "Standard Architectures")

A huge thank you to everyone that downloaded, tested, and commented on the alphas so far, you've helped bring it to this point. The next major feature I want to work on is the tier 1 debugger, so the frequent updates may die down a bit whilst I work on that.
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 05:02
Wow, Paul you are fast. Thanks again. I uploaded fine using Application Loader and when submitted in iTunes got the following message:

The app's Info.plist contains the UINewsstandIcon in CFBundleIcons, which is a Newsstand feature. To enable Newsstand, the app's Info.plist must contain the UINewsstandApp.error.message=true key.

Just for your info.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 05:23
ok, I assume that was just a warning and it let you continue?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet, thanks! As part of the debugger process, I assume you will be adding a Log() function to log messages to the console? Freedom Engine had this command but AppGameKit never did.
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 08:53
And the Full Screen Interstitial Admob Ads In AppGameKit Tier 1 ? Can you add it shortly ?
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 10:06
+ ChartBoost
+ Flurry
BobH0905
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 13:21
Just posted this in V2 Alpha 7 area, then realised that it had gone, and v2 Alpha 7.1 was active. So probably a repeat.
But now with V2 Alpha 7.1 information.
----------------------------------------------------
Quote: "That's good, I was searching around to see if there was some reason that the AppData folder might not be writable but wasn't having much luck. Your message is still useful as it might help someone with the same problem, that reinstalling seems to have fixed it. "

V2 Alpha 7 running on Windows 7.

Fired up AppGameKit this morning, compiled my program (with no changes), and got the same problem again.

-----------------------------------------
Uncaught exception:
Failed to open file for writing/JoystickOuter.png
------------------------------------------

(Just to be clear, I have no idea what the "JoystickOuter.png" file is, it's not one of mine, or one that I'm knowingly referencing)

Also restarted my PC with no effect, problem still there.
As I've said a day ago, this problem appeared, and then disappeared.
It seems to prove the adage that "problems that go away on their own can come back on their own" (used to be a poster on the programmers' wall where I worked)

Not a problem for me, I can simply go back to 2 Alpha 6, just letting you know again.
This time I really will be waiting for the next release before updating.
I do find it odd that nobody else has reported this. Makes me think that I'm doing something that's initiating it. I'd be inclined to work on the basis that if 100 people report a problem, it's a problem. If 1 person reports it, that person's doing something wrong.
--------------------------------------
Added info,
Just before I walked away, I thought I'd try running V2 Alpha 7 as Administrator. And it all worked. Tried a couple of times without Administrator, and with, and it consistently works as Administrator, but not as a user (even with administrator rights)
THEN, noticed that V2 Alpha 7.1 had been uploaded, so installed that.
On initial installation of V2 Alpha 7.1, opening it from the install dialog after installation had completed, and without being Administrator, compilation worked every time. On exiting V2 Alpha 7.1 and reopening, compilation fails with the same error message every time (at least it's consistent, so I'm happier with that)
Opening as Administrator once again allows compilation with no errors.
Hope this is helpful.
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 13:32
Quote: "k, I assume that was just a warning and it let you continue?"

No Paul, iTunes would not allow me to proceed with submitting my app with the UINewsstandIcon error.
However, now thanks to your very helpful post I learned how to open up and modify Info.plist, I deleted the 3 icons associated with the NewsstandIcons and resubmiited with no errors.

However, I am not using any in game apps or newsstand.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
now we're talking!
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 14:34 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 14:38
Somehow i can't type any Strg + Alt + "Key" combination, because it doesn't recognize the Alt key, so can't type "[]".
The problem isn't new for me, it appears in all AppGameKit v2 versions.

And another quick question is how are we supposed to resize multidimensional arrays in one go?

traumvogel
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be perfect if now also the manual sorting of the open file tabs would be saved/reloaded.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 15:44
Ok downloading and testing!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 15:55
@ paul... is it possible for you to add a command to execute another application. I ask of this specifically for windows and dont really care if its not possible on other platforms.

It would also be nice to have access to the windows clip board.

just some thoughts.....

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 16:50 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 16:54
Hi Paul,
Downloaded the AppGameKit 2.7.1 and tested the screen and is all right.

now this is the problem on the pointer:

unexpected nil window in _UIApplicationHandleEventFromQueueEvent, _windowServerHitTestWindow: <UIWindow: 0x16dc3300; frame = (0 0; 768 1024); autoresize = RM+BM; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0x16dc4520>; layer = <UIWindowLayer: 0x16dc3630>>

When you try to click something mixed between obj c objects and agk objects it always give this error, and the obj c objects did not work!!

Sorry for those troubles, but nothings work on this sxxt iOS 8!!

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 17:16
Quote: "And the Full Screen Interstitial Admob Ads In AppGameKit Tier 1 ? Can you add it shortly ?"

It's on my list, but I'd have to spend some time learning AdMob again, and setting up Ad accounts.

Quote: "+ ChartBoost
+ Flurry"

I'm trying not to bloat AppGameKit too much, I already had some problems with Twitter and arm64. Maybe if I can find some way of doing plugins it would solve these problems.

Quote: "Uncaught exception: Failed to open file for writing/JoystickOuter.png"

Can you replace IDE/Compiler/interpreters/Windows.exe with the attached file, it will display the full path in the error. The JoystickOuter.png file is used by the interpreter for virtual joysticks, it should be trying to temporarily store it in the AppData folder.

Quote: "iTunes would not allow me to proceed with submitting my app with the UINewsstandIcon error."

I've modified the Mac version to remove the newsstand icon entry, same download.

Quote: "i can't type any Strg + Alt + "Key" combination"

What is Strg?

Quote: "how are we supposed to resize multidimensional arrays in one go?"

You can still use DIM to bulk resize arrays, or use a FOR loop to resize each element like so

Quote: "It would be perfect if now also the manual sorting of the open file tabs would be saved/reloaded."

Quote: "is it possible for you to add a command to execute another application"

They are on my list

Quote: "When you try to click something mixed between obj c objects and agk objects it always give this error"

Does this solve the problem? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25963101/unexpected-nil-window-in-uiapplicationhandleeventfromqueueevent

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 18:05 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 18:06
This is what i used in core.m :

with no luck. This don't work for us.

This is the result

I also tested some combinations but nothing.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 18:08
Quote: "@ paul... is it possible for you to add a command to execute another application. I ask of this specifically for windows and dont really care if its not possible on other platforms.

It would also be nice to have access to the windows clip board."

I'd love to see these as well. Even it it's just similar to the way you can open an .html file in your browser.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 18:30
Quote: "This is what i used in core.m
with no luck. This don't work for us."

I'd have to see what you're trying to do, can you email me a project that replicates the error?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 18:33 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 18:34
@Paul,
i had open some files per menu tools, that was automatic add to my project.
should open to a temp/ide project.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 18:44
Hi Paul the project is too big...
What i tried is to change the code in core.m in didAppFinishLaunch......
where we had the old makeKeyAndVisible adding the to the frame of the window the new bounds after the rotation.

But it seems that agk lose the screen size again.

The agk pointer work perfectly, but the screen size is like you see in the picture.
In fact, if i press the position where the button must appear it click the button where you see it now.

In other ways it always have the portrait pointer, so we lose the right part of the screen as it think it is 320x480 instead 480x320.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 19:12
Quote: "i had open some files per menu tools, that was automatic add to my project.
should open to a temp/ide project."

Thanks, I'll take a look at this for the next version

Quote: "In other ways it always have the portrait pointer, so we lose the right part of the screen as it think it is 320x480 instead 480x320."

I assume you have already checked the Info.plist file to start in landscape. You may have to edit the MainWindow.xib file but I'm not familiar with how it works, I prefer to do everything in code. I see the MainWindow.xib Untitled View Controller has an orientation setting that is currently set to portrait, what happens if you change it to landscape?
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 19:23 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 19:45
Ehehe i also prefer to do all in code.
I'm going to test and i will edit this post!!

EDIT : I found nothing.... i don't know where to go
I searched for "force landscape on launch" but all are asking about the same issue without solution.

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 19:38
With the new release of AGKv2 and the IPA export I have opted to stay far away from the worse software I've ever used---> XCODE, as I just successfully submitted an app exporting from AppGameKit to IPA then using Application Loader with no errors other than the minor bugs Paul just fixed.

I just have one problem before I get away from XCODE:

I can't test my apps via broadcasting from the AGKv2 Mac version because it simply won't broadcast on any of my IOS devices. Has any one successfully broadcasted to IOS devices and if so am I missing anything? Settings in device or AppGameKit?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 19:59
Where do we have to place the "icon.ico" file for the Windows exe to use it?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 21:46
Quote: "I found nothing.... i don't know where to go"

I don't know how your app works, but I guess the next step would be to try and start a new iOS 8 project and repeat your view setup and see if it works from scratch, if so then you have something to go on.

Quote: "I can't test my apps via broadcasting from the AGKv2 Mac version because it simply won't broadcast on any of my IOS devices."

Broadcasting from Mac to iOS works here, both must be on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.0.X having the first three numbers the same) and check if your router has a "wireless isolation" mode, if so it must be turned off.

Quote: "Where do we have to place the "icon.ico" file for the Windows exe to use it?"

In the same folder as the exe, although I realised after adding this feature that it would only change the window icon, not the exe icon, so is a little useless. You would need to use something like Resource Hacker to edit the exe icon.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paul: It would be awesome if you could implement SetSpriteXByOffset and SetSpriteYByOffset for Alpha8.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can't test my apps via broadcasting from the AGKv2 Mac version because it simply won't broadcast on any of my IOS devices."

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the player installed on your device?
sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 00:01
Since you made the ios xcode project work with arm64 will we see other platforms go to 64-bit? I have been wanting 64-bit AppGameKit for windows since it came out. I am assuming arm64 is 64-bit, which it seems like it... just be funny if I said that and it wasn't 64-bit platform.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParkersApps
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsovr
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
This progress has been great! I'd just like to throw in that it'd be very nice to have access to the user's clipboard. (Or at least be able to highlight -> copy paste in edit boxes) I've been tossing together quick programs that output BBCode so I don't have to write vast pages of it myself. For now I've had to export a text file to my chosen location. I wish the media folder wasn't forced when setting the raw write location

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 01:53 Edited at: 27th Sep 2014 01:58
Hey Paul, you mean that you tested it from scratch and work?
I'm sure it don't work.

You can just test adding a UIButton and CreateButton (agk)
You will see agk working but not the UIButton.

If this think is not fixed is like agk doesn't work for iOS/MAC

Come on Paul, i'm doing my best to advertise AppGameKit 2, and now with arm64 and my video on youtube, i can give a big hand!!!
Try to get it working on iOS/MAC and you will see a great video immediately!!!

And believe me, my next video is a great video, with the "Gekko Manager" included.
Imagine how many users can use it to start immediately on iOS/MAC

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 02:17
Quote: "Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the player installed on your device?"

Yes but thanks.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 05:28
it takes 4 hours to download what did you do

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 11:59
Quote: "It would be awesome if you could implement SetSpriteXByOffset and SetSpriteYByOffset for Alpha8."

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I know how I can work around this. That is why I said "it would be awesome" and not "I need this or I can't proceed".

That these functions are not available is imho

1. Inconsistent from the language definition kind of view

2. would speed up the script parsing a notch cause there is less user-functionality to be parsed. At least I think it would be.

It is not a deal breaker. Just nice to have.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 12:20
@baxslash,MikeHart,Paul
that are small functions we all need in every project.
i think it is a good way if paul provide this.
and i believe paul can optimize this call.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Paul, I think you should create some kind of lib-plugin system that you can easily add/remove AGK-plugins
yamyam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 15:22
Agree with bjadams on this one, for easier updating when 3rd party sdk's update

Many of the extra commands we all want like Amazon Ads,
Google Interactive Interstitial Ads,Flurry, Bullet physics etc, may be better approached as plugins. Similer to the approach other basic languages have adopted.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 17:00
@bjadams,yamyam,(paul)
and how should this plugin system handle multiplatform?
plugin as windows dll(c++) for a android target(java)?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 21:33
Quote: "SetSpriteXByOffset and SetSpriteYByOffset"

Noted, not a high priority

Quote: "Since you made the ios xcode project work with arm64 will we see other platforms go to 64-bit?"

AGK can now be compiled in 64 bit, but I tried it on Mac and some of the libs we are using for joysticks and GLFW weren't 64 bit compatible. Not sure if Android has 64 bit support yet, and Windows I haven't tried, so for now it's just iOS, but it's possible we could have more in future.

Quote: "it'd be very nice to have access to the user's clipboard."

After looking at the way the IDE handles the clipboard it looks like a nightmare, because it had to handle things like if the clipboard is holding an image. But noted for future reference.

Quote: "you mean that you tested it from scratch and work?"

No, I was suggesting you try recreating your setup in iOS 8 and seeing if it works, I don't really have time to create test cases for every bug, which is why I rely on people sending me projects that break so I can replicate the problem and fix it quickly.

Quote: "You can just test adding a UIButton and CreateButton (agk)
You will see agk working but not the UIButton."

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are doing, I've never tried adding Objective-C UI elements over the OpenGL view. How are you adding a UIButton? Any source code that demonstrates the problem would help me understand.

Quote: "and how should this plugin system handle multiplatform?"

That is the million dollar question! I've toyed with the idea of having plugins as just compiled tier 1 code, but that doesn't allow native features like Google Play Services to be added.

For native code Windows would just be a DLL. I suppose Mac could use a shared library but I've not tried it. Android would be difficult but it has a Java->C++ interface that could in theory be exposed in tier 1, but a lot of extra features like Facebook and Google Play Services require an additional Android activity to be imported into Eclipse and linked to the AppGameKit project, so that complicates things. On iOS Apple will reject any apps that use shared libraries, so I can't think of any solution there.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 22:16
How does Unity do it? I'd model after them as much as possible. Would LOVE if we have plugins of some sort to extend the features for iOS and Android. Would even donate more money!

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 22:24
I just noticed the "Stop Broadcast" feature All I can say is wow, what an amazingly useful thing

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 23:06
Quote: "What is Strg?"

It's the german button for Ctrl
But thats not important.. the Alt key is the one wich doesn't work for me.
Do I have to switch somethesing from german to english..maybe

Thank you.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 02:35 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 02:39
Hi Paul.
We are going out of the way. Sorry is my english.
The problem is related to the new screen size based on the orientation system.

The suggestion you found me on the net didn't worked for me.
Also if i declared the UIWindow and set the viewController as RootController. It's show as the screenshot i done.

It seems that AppGameKit go in panic on this thing, because is about the same problem of the last time.
It lose the pointer out of the portrait frame if you are in landscape.
You must launch the app with landscape right / landscape left activated. NO portrait or upside down portrait.

In this way AppGameKit for iOS device is useless, let the android boys wait 1 day, and please give it a look.

"The Plugin System", well i like it, with a smaller core, and each user add only the plugins he really need.
Is possible with the lib (.lib/.a)?

sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 03:49
Quote: "*Quote: "Since you made the ios xcode project work with arm64 will we see other platforms go to 64-bit?"

AGK can now be compiled in 64 bit, but I tried it on Mac and some of the libs we are using for joysticks and GLFW weren't 64 bit compatible. Not sure if Android has 64 bit support yet, and Windows I haven't tried, so for now it's just iOS, but it's possible we could have more in future."

can you get the repo of GLFW and compile the project to 64-bit? I have done this for many projects that were just 32-bit projects, but had the source.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParkersApps
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsovr
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 12:15
I 2nd that. I would happily donate more to get plugins.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
By PLUGIN I meant AppGameKit INTERNAL plugin, not an external DLL!

The plugins can be included or excluded in the relevant native templates
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 17:48
T2 and Pascal are fairly easy for this, since you can include or exclude anything you like.

T1 is more problematic. To write a T1 plugin means that it has to be possible to do the operations in Basic, or extend the command set. If the compiler could be persuaded to compile sub-units - chunks of bytecode - then these would need to be linked in - so an AppGameKit bytecode linker would be required. That doesn't strike me as that hard, since the linker could fix up references to the additional bytecode chunks.

But what if the operation is NOT possible in T1 Basic or the library files? In that case the plugin writer will need to work in Pascal/C/C++, probably with access to the GL surface etc. and compile a custom bytecode file with a symbolic interface, or in the case of Android, produce a Java file that will be included in the bundle.

The key factor is that the system needs to be extensible WITHOUT Paul having to chase the latest craze in advertising or social media (there's a case for splitting this dirty stuff out of the main system, anyway). These things are highly mutable and should NOT, I think, be part of the language definition. Constantly asking Paul to add feature X or Y, which people do, is not the way forward as the system matures. It should be possible to split the core graphics operations off from the clutter with, for example, #include SocialMedia

With well-defined interfaces, and some concept of modularity, AppGameKit could draw on the skills of many programmers and advance rapidly.

On a final note - why the rush to 64-bit for mobile apps? Why do you need more than ~4 gigs of address space? It's not faster. Multi-threading seems to me to yield better performance. (Pascal users check out the fantastic Parallel library in Delphi XE6/XE7)

These comments because I was thinking about it sitting in a taverna with a glass of cold Retsina looking out over the Adriatic. George++ will be along soon to add more Greek commentary!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
64bit is being imposed by Apple that's why!
Dave47
Years of Service
User Offline
Anybody know why any files that I have opened and appear along the top of the screen, are all closed when I reopen a project?

Also why does the project panel now list all files in one long list instead of .agc files and a separate media folder.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 20:07
i believe the devs here just want see a single target os plug in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:11:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:11:46