Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v2 Feature Requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 19:49 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 08:12
As requested, we should probably start asking for features in a more organized way
So here's my list:

OpenIAB for Android - this will allow us to use IAP in many stores like Amazon, Google Play, SlideMe, Samsung, Yandex, and more without any major modifications. I think as long as we used the same SKU for each product in each store we wouldn't really need to change anything in T1 code. Paul has said he'll look at this in the future, but it will be helpful if others indicate their interest here to show TGC that many of us want this option.

Google Play Game Services - this has a lot of features. HockeyKid has a mod for this, but it is lacking some important features like a login button, reporting the leaderboard position for users, getting a user's ID, and many more features. These features are becoming highly popular in games and are important to their success. Google Play Game Services can be used in iOS as well. Many of us have voiced our desire for these features, but TGC has yet to make comment. It would be a bear for them, but a boon as well since no existing game engine has features like this built in.

Facebook integration - We currently have this, but it is very old and is falling apart. We can no longer send messages to other users by posting on their wall or seeing a list of friends. Facebook has made significant changes and these features are important. I'd at least like to see invites and achievement posts. Paul has marked in the code/issue base that it is planned, but no idea on when.

Twitter integration - This is a feature that has been in AppGameKit for a long time, but as far as I can tell it never actually worked. I'd love to see this in action.

Chartboost integration - This is available to us via my mod and AppGameKit has the method for doing this. It's pretty simple and pays a lot better than adMob. Paul has said they will look at it in the future, but no date to that.

Plugin Extensions - Ultimately if AppGameKit was structured so that we, the developer, could make plugins that would modify the java and obj-c code to our needs then it would be best for AppGameKit as they won't have to maintain the SDK compatibility so much. My idea for this is to give a handful of tier 1 dummy functions that are tied to java and obj-c methods so that we can repurpose them as needed. Unity and many other development packages make use of this structure. It would be a great boon to AppGameKit to do this as well and further their income opportunities.

As you may note I am focusing on third party extensions. These are what are important to me. I feel v2 roadmap already has more than I need as a developer as far as the engine and IDE goes. Where AppGameKit is lacking for me (and many others) is in third party extensions and social features.

Please add your support or desires here so that they are in an organized are for AppGameKit to determine if they are viable to do.

EDIT (adding features as we go so they are all on top):
Steam Store integration - If we want serious Windows development, including the growing indie scene, then this is a must have today. Steam Store is by far the most popular store on PC. It's also available on Mac now, and Linux.

Improved controller support - Currently we cannot detect the 360 d-pad and the triggers are broken. I think the same goes for the PS4 controller. The 360 controller is standard on PC with many games supporting it out of the box. The PS4 controller is growing in popularity. - Looks like Paul is getting this in now!

Linux support - Getting AppGameKit to run on Linux shouldn't be too hard since AppGameKit uses OpenGL. It's a platform we know will continue to exist for a long time. It is very popular among indies. If you want your game on Humble Bundle then then Linux is a big advantage. Since it works just like a PC or Mac making games for Linux would just as easy. We also have the upcoming Steam OS and Steam Boxes which are Linux based. So it's the perfect next platform for AGK.

3d cube mapping / 3d sphere mapping
3d fog type commands similar to darkbasic
set object 3d normals
clip board access
launch an executable from within code.
blue tooth connections

Blend Modes - TGC's current V2 implementation of blend modes is severely lacking. We can only do normal or additive blending, whereas pretty much every other GL-based engine allows the full scope of blending, sometimes also including lower level GL blend functions (SRC/DEST) which are very useful for some applications.

Box2D - I think it's been 2-3 years since I and others reported the restrictive nature of AGK's Box2D implementation by comparison to the full Box2D framework, and nothing has changed yet. Many commands still don't exist in AppGameKit and others don't allow full range of parameters.
- Ability to set the frequency and damping ratio of distance joints
- Commands listed in this issue from 2011
- Full listing of commands in DBP plugin of Box2D for you to do a more thorough comparison (PDF)

Write to SD storage on Android. This would be super handy for games / apps that want to generate screenshots or drawing style apps. Also would be nice if we could write to a user accessible directory on iOS, but I'm not sure if that really exists.

SetTextAngle- at the moment if you want text shown at an angle you have to use a sprite.
SetViewAngle - this would make for some interesting effects.

Supported display modes - like DBPro - on desktop it would be good to retrieve supported display resolutions so that we can allow users to select in an options menu.

data/restore/read BASIC commands or datablocks - I'm not sure what these would look like since we have random access to memblocks. Might be handy though.

SQLLite3 support - This would be very handy in my book, would have made coding Wordspionage much easier and would give much more power to us!

WriteMemblockToFile/ReadMemblockFromFile - Would be very handy.

GUI commands - not sure what these would look like - I'd like to see some specifics to convey to TGC.

Pathfinding - This would be great! I'm not sure if this can be wrapped into a command set though. It might be best as a standalone library.

More Spine commands - Texture and mesh deformations - I need more to list specifically.

Instr command and perhaps some other useful text commands like LSet/LPad, RSet/RPadp - I'm not sure what these do

pregmatch Some support for searching in strings would be awesome!

PlaySound/PlayMusic command - add position parameter - command to allow the sound/music to start playing at the specified time mark/position.

Load/Save array - Simple loading/saving of arrays to file. I think this is planned already. I imagine this is a challenge for UDT arrays.

Depth parameter for video - This would be awesome. I think it would take a bit of modification on mobile platforms, though. Maybe something more like billboard videos will work (video textures on 3d objects).

Augmented reality commands - CreateImageFromCamera - would like to see more listed. Seems like on mobile there is a direct stream from the camera to the screen.

Background loading commands - Loading media on its own thread. In my mind this would be similar to PreloadJS where you can add files to a queue so that they are loaded and then later check to see if the queue is finished or check the progress on the queue to display loading %.

File picker/explorer - Would be very handy. In DBPro I think we had to write our own. It would be nice if AppGameKit had a skinnable UI version that just worked on all platforms.

More model and animation support - FBX, blender, bones, multi-textured models.

Load files as string - This might go hand in hand with load memblock from file

XML support - Lots of folks use XML files to set up tiles, animations, etc. Unfortunately parsing these files is terribly slow.

GetVirtualButtonVisible - self explanatory

SetSoundVolumePan(id , leftVol , rightVol) - allow control of volume on both stereo channels to create panning effects.

OpenBrower() command needs exception catch on mobile - he Openbrowser() command needs a catch in it for java and probably obj-c too
Currently the correct method to link to other apps like Google Play or Facebook is something like this:
Google Play
market://details?id=com.naplandgames.sudokuinspace
Facebook
fb://profile/yourprofileid

These links will open the native apps (i.e. Google Play Store or Facebook) if they are installed. Unfortunately if they are not installed then the app will crash because there is no exception catch. Makes the app look bad.

A great alternative would be if OpenBrowser returned a pass/fail value so that we can attempt a different URL if the first fails and so forth. Would be really easy to do in java, but the Openbrowser command doesn't seem to have any java companion code...

Media protection - this was discussed by TGC at some point, but I've not heard anything further.

integer PlaySound( iID, iVol, iLoop, fBalance, fRate, iPriority ) - neat!

HTTP POST HEADER VALUES: The ability to set custom header values when doing a http POST command. Without this, the ability to integrate into back-end systems would be extremely crippled.
I found this strange myself. When checking the client header it was empty when an AppGameKit app was making a call to a PHP page. There can be a lot of useful information in the header from a client. Would be nice to have this!

Draw over camera view - i.e. set depth of camera view so that we can draw sprites over it

GetCameraviewAsImage / GetCameraViewAsMemblock

More scancodes F9 through F12, numpad, * , + ---- looks like Alt support is added now.

Filled polygon - Draw command

GPS Velocity and Number of satellites

Multiple texture images on sprites - done!

More array commands myArray.removeAll(), myArray.find(itemToFind , startAtIndex), sorting UDT arrays on items other than the first type in the UDT - will add more to this later when the specific commands are clear.

OGG file support

Flurry Analytics

File encryption i.e. Load/SaveFileEncyrpted(file$ , key$)

PKZip password protection

More spine skeleton commands - access to sprites in the skeleton for applying shaders, UV, size/scale, etc. Deforming skeletons. Change atlas texture.

Native sharing The ability to invoke the sharing dialogue on Android and iOS would be a big boon. We'd also need to be able to set image and text to share. It would likely alleviate a lot of the need to integrate SDKs just to share to other apps!
[last updated Nov 3]

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 20:37 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 22:41
Steam Store integration - If we want serious Windows development, including the growing indie scene, then this is a must have today. Steam Store is by far the most popular store on PC. It's also available on Mac now, and Linux.

Improved controller support - Currently we cannot detect the 360 d-pad and the triggers are broken. I think the same goes for the PS4 controller. The 360 controller is standard on PC with many games supporting it out of the box. The PS4 controller is growing in popularity.

Linux support - Getting AppGameKit to run on Linux shouldn't be too hard since AppGameKit uses OpenGL. It's a platform we know will continue to exist for a long time. It is very popular among indies. If you want your game on Humble Bundle then then Linux is a big advantage. Since it works just like a PC or Mac making games for Linux would just as easy. We also have the upcoming Steam OS and Steam Boxes which are Linux based. So it's the perfect next platform for AGK.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 20:38
Agreed an all 3 fronts! Especially controller support That's pretty huge.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:12
Instead of a dummy functions, maybe a function to call on an external function, like:

callExternalFunction( "DrawDot( 100, 100, 255, 255, 255 )" )

This would call a function in a c++ file bundled with the interprenter file.

one then would need to have android / windows / ios / mac versions of that file, matching the release os of the app.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:15 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 21:17
yup my requests are:

-3d cube mapping / 3d sphere mapping
-3d fog type commands simular to darkbasic
-set object 3d normals.... would be a nice command to have.
-clip board access [being able to post to clipboard and pull from it]
-launch an executable from within code. [handy for windows and pulling up a web browser page]

multiplayer additions...such as
-blue tooth connections

um... thats my list that would satisfy me plenty!

and hafta mention da's steam intigration again.... as thats a must!
and if we ever want to be a part of any humble bundle....then we need linux support too!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:22
BlueTooth would be handy and open up a ton of possibilities. Would be better than the local network commands IMHO.
Pretty sure Paul is planning the ability to launch exes. This would be huge as we could have launchers that you could set settings in.
You do know that OpenBrowser works on all platforms, though, right?

@Impetus - that's a pretty great idea and may work very very well as it would be much more extendable. You could also have a parameter in callExternalFunction that tells the interpreter what variable(s) should be returned. Shouldn't be too hard to do since Paul has pointer references now in T1.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:27
Maybe add on the global keyword, and add universal variable, variables that the external functions can read and write to.

Universal Gamestatus as integer

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:28
Quote: "handy for windows and pulling up a web browser page"

You can do that already with OpenBrowser().

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 21:31
Quote: "You do know that OpenBrowser works on all platforms, though, right?
"

lol ! another command i didnt know about...

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier, can you please continue to update the first post with all suggestions so when TGC finally review it they don't have to sift through pages of discussions?

Blend Modes - TGC's current V2 implementation of blend modes is severely lacking. We can only do normal or additive blending, whereas pretty much every other GL-based engine allows the full scope of blending, sometimes also including lower level GL blend functions (SRC/DEST) which are very useful for some applications.

Box2D - I think it's been 2-3 years since I and others reported the restrictive nature of AGK's Box2D implementation by comparison to the full Box2D framework, and nothing has changed yet. Many commands still don't exist in AppGameKit and others don't allow full range of parameters.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 22:42
I forgot to mention that Steam Store is now on Mac and Linux as well. Added that to my post. Same store covering 3 platforms, 2 of which are already supported by AGK.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 00:28
Top post updated.
Blend modes would be AWESOME. Imagine all of the effects we could do!
Box2D could use a lot more. I so would have rather had more of this than Spine

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 01:01
I think TGC should focus first on the things that allow us to publish, monetize and market our games more. If that stuff isn't added it doesn't matter how many content related features AppGameKit got. AppGameKit 2 have strong basics now. And I think we need strong deployment to make good use of those basics. Then I think we are ready for strong features.

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:28
The best thing for everyone would be to see V2 finished as per the Kickstarter campaign before anything new is even considered. Maybe some of the existing features do need finishing (eg. Box2D, Controller Support etc) but muddying the waters with extra platforms and new feature sets would just slow things even further.

Once V2 is out of the way these requests can be considered as part of V3 (TGC need to monetize just as much as their users).

I hope by then they find a way of selling individual expansions each focused on a different area whether it be Advanced 3D, Social Networking & Monetization, Linux Support etc.

Soon the core language will be sound and improvements can be more targeted than the (necessary) scatter-gun approach of the V2 goals. That would be better for everyone.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:45
Yeah, I don't expect any of this will happen until v2 is finalized. I don't think any of us expects that, but by voicing our requests here it will give Paul et al. a chance to see what we're looking for. Most of the social features should be easy for Paul to add in. It's just we can't do it because the code is obscured so much.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 22:46 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 19:07
editted...

yeah its better for us to organize our requests like this than spam the forum with multi requests asking potentially the same things.

A main thread like this works perfectly... i expect that tgc will have a look at what there customers want and listen to some of it anyways. I really think tgc needs to support steam as someone has already done a plugin for darkbasic. I suspect that the debugger is whats on tgc's agenda now and to follow some new 3d support.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 23:21 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 23:23
Quote: "yeah its better for us to organize our requests like this then spam the forum..."

I'm hoping you meant "better for us to organize our requests like this than spam the forum".

'Cos your way has a very different meaning.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 23:31 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 23:33
<>
<>

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I just mentioned this in the other thread, but I'd like to see an expansion of the flexibility of the language. Since we can now pass in types, function overloading would be very helpful. I mentioned a couple of other smaller things there if you want to have a look.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 19:05
lol! yes i ment than.... as i do not intend to spam after....

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 19:08 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 19:09
1. "Make hit game" button.

Kidding... kidding. I actually enjoy the programming part.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Plugin Extensions - Ultimately if AppGameKit was structured so that we, the developer, could make plugins that would modify the java and obj-c code to our needs then it would be best for AppGameKit as they won't have to maintain the SDK compatibility so much. My idea for this is to give a handful of tier 1 dummy functions that are tied to java and obj-c methods so that we can repurpose them as needed. Unity and many other development packages make use of this structure. It would be a great boon to AppGameKit to do this as well and further their income opportunities. "

This is where I feel AppGameKit will always run into trouble unless they add third party extension support. There are ties to so many SDKs and libraries (social networking, ads, IAP...) and history has shown that AppGameKit with just one developer cannot stay on top of all this.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 19:29
Adding the ability to write to SD storage on Android. This would be super handy for games / apps that want to generate screenshots or drawing style apps.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 20:09
Two small features I'd like to see:

SetTextAngle - at the moment if you want text shown at an angle you have to use a sprite.
SetViewAngle - this would make for some interesting effects.

Not ground breaking ideas,but commands I think would be useful to most people.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 22:58
I would like to see save/load array implemented, from stretch goal number two in the Kickstarter.

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 06:35
This is a great list. fixed 360 controller, Steam support, full Box2d, and additional blend modes are at the top of my list. The ability to build a list of all supported display modes would be great for making PC games.

Apps published: 4
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi allí,
Could be possible include the data/restore/read BASIC commands?
These commands are really useful.
Best regards.
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
Could be possible include the data/restore/read BASIC commands?
These commands are really useful.
Best regards.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 01:01 Edited at: 10th Oct 2014 01:03
Quote: "Could be possible include the data/restore/read BASIC commands?"

If they go for source data inclusion, I think a better way would be datablocks.

Effectively the same as a data statement, but with the type defined (byte, word, long etc.) and accessed with something like the memblock commands. Call them in-line memblocks if you like.

I don't know how well it fits into the android/ios way of doing things, but since you can do it in C, I don't see a technical reason why it couldn't be done in AGK.

String constants are probably compiled using something similar already.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 20:02
Can a moderator pin this please? Don't want it to get lost and want it to be visible to others.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 21:05 Edited at: 12th Oct 2014 21:12
At Naphier's wise suggestion, I'll post my feature requests here:-

1) Support for Sqlite3 - this is pretty much essential - just look at how many mobile apps and games use it.

2) File I/O commands to Write or Read a Memblock - seems a shame not to with all those other memblock commands already supported...

3) Some more GUI - not akin to BlueGUI but a more graphics-customisable set of commands - tick and cross buttons, sliders, scroll bars etc.

4) Some basic pathfinding / AI commands.

5) Further Spine commands texture/mesh deformations etc.

6) Instr command and perhaps some other useful text commands like LSet/LPad, RSet/RPad etc.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, here's my wish list.

* Add start position parameter to "playsound" , so you can play a sound from any start position. Surely this isn't too difficult to implement.

* Add save and load array as although it's easy to code a text writer it would be so much more convenient.

* Fix any issues with well known controllers and make sure new ones are supported like the fire TV for example.

* Full windows mobile support

* Augmented reality commands now we have sensor support it's a logical next step. Something like createimagefromcamera.

* Background load commands so you can load additional files while your app is running without pausing it.

* Implement a depth value for Video playback so you can place sprites over a playing video.

* File picker (similar to DB pro)

* Of course all the 3D commands we all want including FBX model and animation support.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to +1 the load/save memblock & array file commands. We can write our own solutions for this, but interpreted math in AppGameKit is deathly slow. Parsing a bulky file is unneededly painful. Also, out of curiosity, why can't we load an entire file as a string, instead of reading line by line (or other small units)?

peterJBE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 20:43
If I have to choose one: Further Spine commands.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 12:35
Quote: "1. "Make hit game" button."

DBPro has MakeGame()

Quote: "SetTextAngle - at the moment if you want text shown at an angle you have to use a sprite.
SetViewAngle - this would make for some interesting effects."

Yes to SetTextAngle, would be extremely useful.

SetViewAngle - Could this be achieved using shaders, or even sending an offscreen game to a sprite? I did this once in DBPro but it was a long time ago. I converted the left/right movement of the cursor into an opposing rotation of the screen.

Quote: "Support for Sqlite3"

+1

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Beo6
Years of Service
User Offline
I am mostly looking forward to the 3D Engine enhancements and Physics.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
The ability to have a gradient (2 or 3 base colours) instead of a single colour as the clear colour. Gradients are used so often so I wonder if there is a faster way of producing them in code (like the amiga had HAM mode for those who can remember that!) rather than relying on images.
Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
Would it be possible to add a simple GetVirtualButtonVisible function? It would be really convenient in doing fancy things with the ui.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 13:17
You can use DrawBox to create gradient (in V2 at least)...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 14:38
The sound system could be improved a lot with a pan setting for PlaySound(). That should be very simple to do.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 22:58
The Openbrowser() command needs a catch in it for java and probably obj-c too
Currently the correct method to link to other apps like Google Play or Facebook is something like this:
Google Play
market://details?id=com.naplandgames.sudokuinspace
Facebook
fb://profile/yourprofileid

These links will open the native apps (i.e. Google Play Store or Facebook) if they are installed. Unfortunately if they are not installed then the app will crash because there is no exception catch. Makes the app look bad.

A great alternative would be if OpenBrowser returned a pass/fail value so that we can attempt a different URL if the first fails and so forth. Would be really easy to do in java, but the Openbrowser command doesn't seem ot have any java companion code...

PS - I'll work on updating the original thread soon with the suggestions.
Maybe when Paul is ready to consider some of this stuff then we can do a poll to help him set priority.

SPARTAN 31337
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought AppGameKit 2 for one reason only, and that was so as I could create a Bluetooth Serial connection with an Android and IOS device.

Still waiting...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 15:54
SPARTAN:
That has, to my knowledge, never been announced or even talked about.

DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 16:39
The promised enhancements to the 3D Engine tops my wish list.

Support for multi-textured .x models would allow me to port my work across from DarkBasic. Bone based animation isn't essential, although it would allow for FPSC models to be used.

AGK is a fantastic product to work with and better 3D support would allow for some really exciting games to be made with it.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 23:55 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 23:56
Here's another feature request that we get sometimes and I've forgotten about. It's something I would want.

Media protection - Some way to pack our media files so they are not as open and visible as they are now. This of course is something we only need for Windows and Mac OS (and Linux). Android and iOS releases are already protected in some way. This could potentially be a required to use royalty free media or getting help from artists/composers etc.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 02:09
Media protection would be great. I thought Paul said somewhere that they were going to do this, but I can't find it.
Android and iOS are not really protected much. If you root your device (or jailbreak) you can pretty easily get to the assets folders. For this reason I encrypt anything I want protected.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 09:19
Still is better protected than on PC. Sure would be nice with good protection but even simple protection is better than none.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 09:27
Indeed, but I worry that whatever they implement will be terribly slow. But then again it can't be much slower than opening a file, unencrypting it, saving it, loading it, and then deleting it... though I've never noticed any slow down with that, it is invariably slow. I also worry that whatever they implement will still be able to be read by any other person who buys AGK. Some simple xor encryption works very well for me.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 09:40
Are you doing your own encryption using memblocks or something else?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 09:49
I make a "key" array and hard code it into the program.
The just open the encrypted file to read, open a destination file to write to, read each byte of the encrypted file that I need to, xor the bytes with the key and write the bytes to the destination file, load the file (I do this mainly with images), and then delete the file.
For Wordspionage I used a memblock for the game data file because it was potentially too large and used too often to justify the above process. But it gets written a lot anyway.
Surprisingly there has been little to no difference in the two methods. Mobile devices seem to be just fine with this. Also all of my images are in atlases so it's not done very often at all. It's a very simple, efficient, and effective method. Someone could probably crack it for the images, but with the key hardcoded I feel like it wouldn't be easy. That is unless you were fast enough to halt the program right between the save/load/delete phase. I've tried doing this on my Windows machine and it hasn't been possible

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 15:50:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 15:50:34