Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Project D.C.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 08:42 Edited at: 19th Dec 2014 11:49
Project D.C.

Developer: Astech

Story Synopsis:

Most people don't even know that it took place. Most people don't know about the night that almost destroyed the world as they knew it. The set time-frame when it all took place was somewhere between 1943 and 1944, however the history books never tell of this tale nor the date it happened; it is highly debated, though for sure that it all started after the Battle of Stalingrad. The Nazi regime had become desperate, unwilling to except an overwhelming defeat in the European front.

With Hitler's failure to provide the victory he so greatly promised he receded into hiding as he scrambled to put a plan into action; this is where he turned to his ace in the hole- the Nazi SS. With centuries of knowledge on the mystics and black arts, Himmler was put in charge to see an expedition set out into the heart of Romania. However, this plan was only prematurely put into motion before a rebellion turned in the SS ranks. This caused a power shift that rippled through the entire division, leaving Himmler dead along with several loyalists in the conflict.

The renegade band that became of this took on the name of "The Werewolves", lead by Colonel Klauss Walther, self-proclaimed Fuhrer. With Himmler's documents of a mysterious castle in the heart of Romania in hand, Klauss gathered his best men together. Leading the line was non-other than Rupert Gehring -Senior Storm Leader, although mostly speculated. Since the battle of Stalingrad, no one really knew what became of Rupert but a few dwindling soldiers. Some say he was killed by a mortar shell and others say he fought his way through the fire and chaos barehanded while the line retreated. Others say he was but a ghost and his mere existence (if he WAS still alive) defies the very fabrics of nature. However, there was one thing certain... if he was actually at the castle... it wasn't by conventional medicine.

This plan to take control of a wicked and supreme evil force was met with strife, it would seem. The castle lay within itself many great evils and powers of devils. There was also one man in-particular, in the right place at the the right time, who may have very well stopped the Nazi SS and the evil's of the castle. However, this is not my story to tell. So many details are left out and they are left up to you to discover. Go back to the 1940's and put a stake through the heart of evil, once and for all!

Author Notes:

Yes, this is essentially Diablo Château but the name is changed for place holder reasons. I've been doing some story-boarding and planning as for what I want to do with this game. I'm getting really ambitious on the story side for this game and I want to the gameplay to be complimentary. The game will most likely play as a crime-mystery + survival-horror style rather than a pure physiological horror game such as Amnesia (although I'm open to mixing elements in). I want the environments and particular the castle to feel alive and I want to have a system of level to level traveling if plausible.

I'm starting to work on new things and I've even got a video I made that shows old gameplay footage. I may shorten down the footage for spoilers sake and upload for all to see but I've made this thread mainly to let everyone know I'm still working on this game.

Expect to see more from me in the future and best of luck with everyone's projects!

- Astech

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 13:10
Nice design. Actually, a very good design.

Unless you aren't aiming for perfectionism, I would tell you to move the wall light in the screenshot a bit to the left (it looks a bit to the right).

And yes, I would have to work very hard to reach even the half of the quality that you are presenting. Great work!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice design. Actually, a very good design.
And yes, I would have to work very hard to reach even the half of the quality that you are presenting. Great work!"

That isn't true. Anyone with enough patience, time, and resources could make something similar. It just takes vision and time; those two things.

I appreciate the comments on the scenes. I'm trying to build an atmosphere that compliments the story and setting. Gameplay will be the real test however. I'm striving to make the best survival horror game FPSC can churn out. It's going to take some time, I can say that.

Quote: "Unless you aren't aiming for perfectionism, I would tell you to move the wall light in the screenshot a bit to the left (it looks a bit to the right)."

I see what you are saying (its the 3rd screenshot). If I don't decide to scrap this part of the map I will go back and fix it. Right now I am currently working on remapping the second level of the game. I'm going for a more sense of scale this time around and I'm hoping to make bigger environments to play through.

Keep an eye out for new updates!

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 16:23
I will mate. And if you are intending to make the environments even more lively, I would recommend that you grab the base shaders by bond1 from the Facebook FPSC Group/Community (if you are already a member). I think they were uploaded by Erltov or someone.

And furthermore, you can turn on bloom. Plus, you can use doors that are like about 2 segments in height if you want to have a bit of Dishonored feel into it, unless you are thinking of not to.

Hope that the WW2 packs from the TGC comes into play for the game.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 19:37
i love the scenery, and the blue skybox out the windws does such a nice job to contrast the warm earthy hues of the interior and the lighting, and also compliment the gray brick walls.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I will mate. And if you are intending to make the environments even more lively, I would recommend that you grab the base shaders by bond1 from the Facebook FPSC Group/Community"

I do already have them. To suit my own artistic vision, I don't give most of my objects shaders. I personally feel that not everything should shimmer with a glow. I've been that way the whole time with FPSC. The only time I really use a shader to simulate reflective light is when I have metallic objects in my scene.

Quote: "And furthermore, you can turn on bloom. Plus, you can use doors that are like about 2 segments in height if you want to have a bit of Dishonored feel into it, unless you are thinking of not to."

I do have bloom turned on though I've masked it the lightning placement. I modified the shader file as well so the glow isn't so heavy. Once again, these choices were all toward the design goal.

The door ways are a good idea but I'm going to try and keep a claustrophobic build style for the majority of the game. I could possibly do it for doors leading outside; we will see.

Quote: "i love the scenery, and the blue skybox out the windws does such a nice job to contrast the warm earthy hues of the interior and the lighting, and also compliment the gray brick walls."

Thanks for noticing Bugsy. Admittedly however I had not put that much thought into it. My game design is sort of loose-canon in a sense where I try new things to see how well it will look when tying different elements together.

I appreciate the feedback from all!

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 12:54 Edited at: 27th Oct 2014 12:59
Screenshot Update Edited 10/27/14:

This is the foyer to the redesigned inn. I've made the level much bigger in scale and planning. The foyer is possibly my favorite part of the map, besides the patio.

I decided to take some liberties in opening up part of the map. You get to go outside but yet you are are still enclosed. Fresh air without design sacrifice. Parts of the story can be found in these extra detailed levels of the map.

More to come as development moves forward.

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 05:17
The screenies look great.

And it seems that you are quite a bit of a Wolf fan. Isn't it?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The screenies look great.

And it seems that you are quite a bit of a Wolf fan. Isn't it?"

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by "Wolf fan" however. I like his design style but I'm not sure how it relates. I've picked up several tricks from other designers and I'm just trying to make a style of my own (which I think I have). I do want to mention I like using his assets however. My library dates back a long time though so its a mix of everyone on the forum. I mainly do custom textures, sounds, and all the nice little details that make the game more of my own. That is the design process in a nutshell though.

Diablo Chateau
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 13:44
Maybe he was talking about Wolfenstein ?

Utinni !
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe he was talking about Wolfenstein ?"

Possibly. I've never completed any game in the series although I've played a little bit of Return, New Order, and 3D. The ideas are similar, sure but this story is really more about the "creature-lore" of things. The Nazi SS is the fuse that ignites the plot.

Another screenshot (possibly last one for a while):

I take back what I said earlier. This room is my favorite so far. If I could compare... this is what it was before. You can see the clear change in scope and size.

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 15:42
Nice mate. But the last screenie in the 1st post looks the best. That one is my favourite.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I now have the last 3 screenshots taken at 1080p resolution. They all give wider viewing angles and show a little more detail. You can look at them here.

Diablo Chateau
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 19:43
Cool stuff

Don't waste your life

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 14:12 Edited at: 26th Nov 2014 14:13
Quote: "Nice mate. But the last screenie in the 1st post looks the best. That one is my favourite.

Cool stuff"

Thanks for the comments guys. I've finally figured out how I'm going to part this game into episodes. At the current time, there are two parts to the game... each containing at least 1 different castle a piece.

The current story scatters across France, UK, and Romania. The first part is strictly France (although Germany may be featured in some small form) and the second part is Romania and the UK.

With this being the case, the pictures I'm showing as from this post back, are from Part II. Part I is going to have its own feel that I want to keep separate from Part II in some form.

More screens to follow as progress comes along.

Diablo Chateau
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2014 03:17
Nice work ASTECH.
Love the atmosphere and lighting.
best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nice work ASTECH.
Love the atmosphere and lighting.
best"

Thanks! I'm currently working an idea into action so I'm going to be getting back into development after the holiday season. Perhaps I can get some new screens up for everyone to see.

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a video showing old gameplay footage. This is what the early adventure elements were before the rebuilding. Expect something similar going forward.

Comments are welcomed and remember there are some bugs in this video such as script timing (although the timing is right, engine just decides to delay it when recording).

Diablo Chateau
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 20:19 Edited at: 16th Dec 2014 20:20
Looks awesome! Nice look, feel, and story!

Although too dark. It's difficult to see at times, like the cigarette and the piano. I've noticed lots of games here suffer from this. A bit of ambient lighting would help things.

I love what you say about vision and time. So true! Looking forward to seeing where this goes...

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looks awesome! Nice look, feel, and story!

Although too dark. It's difficult to see at times, like the cigarette and the piano. I've noticed lots of games here suffer from this. A bit of ambient lighting would help things.

I love what you say about vision and time. So true! Looking forward to seeing where this goes..."

Youtube tends to make things darker but I do agree the level is already dark (on purpose). It seems that it differ on what kind of monitor you are using. I just got a new monitor and things are WAY darker so I can see how people have trouble seeing games made in FPSC. I may need to look into an in-game option that lets you raise the ambient lighting.

Thanks for the comments! I'm currently rolling back and starting on prequel levels!

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 10:45
That gameplay video was awesome. But how did you get that teleportation with the fading effect? That was the coolest feature of the vid. And you should offer more hints to the player with some practical puzzles like riddles just to make the player not to attempt searching every nook and cranny of the game world. Because doing that makes the player very frustrated.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " But how did you get that teleportation with the fading effect? That was the coolest feature of the vid. "

It's calling to show 2 huds and hide one while the other fades out. This makes the entrance strong and allow its to taper off. It's just smoke and mirrors with FPI commands. That is all.

Quote: "And you should offer more hints to the player with some practical puzzles like riddles just to make the player not to attempt searching every nook and cranny of the game world."

While not in this early video, audio clues from the player with help with SOME of them. This game doesn't play as a normal FPS nor would I call it a traditional FPS in the slightest. I'm going for a more slow-paced adventure game. You go back and look at some of the older point-n-click adventures, they were quite hard sometimes. I can't say some parts won't get that hard; we will see. I will try to be fair about it however.

UPDATE:

Currently there are 3 playable characters and all from a different point of view and time-frame in the story. In essence, the game is broken down into 3 parts. I think you guys will like how I've made the story more clear by doing it this way.

Until next time!

Diablo Chateau
Robert F
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey man, do you remember me!? We had that sweet zombie top-down game going in UDK a while back (Like 3 years ago lol)...

Anyway, I just got back onto the FPSC forums recently, your game looks great though! Looks like you haven't stopped game designing since the last time I talked to you!

~Fps Creator since 2008~
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Robert! Yes, I sure do remember you. I was starting to wonder where you had dropped off to for 4 years or so.

Yeah, I'm still at it. Slowly but surely. I really need to start and get back to working on this game some more. I haven't done much of anything over the holiday break. I think I will need to start changing that.

Hit me up with a PM or something. We can get each others Skype names or something.

Diablo Chateau
wizardious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 22:46
Ya, This looks really good, nice level design/interaction (eye candy), and I really like the 'flashback' mode that shows what happened. The way the camera perspective looks is a very nice touch. Keep it up!
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2015 16:01 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2015 05:49
This project is currently on hold. I've simply lost the "fun" in making it and I'm currently experimenting on a new game to help relieve some of the monotony. I would really like to get a good QUICK game out so I at least feel like I'm making progress towards something.

The forum will know about this new project when its time.

Thanks for following me through this project. All in all, this is a brainchild for all of my future projects to come. If I have to hold this off until Reloaded or perhaps another engine... so be it.

Diablo Chateau
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, so after a brief retreat, I have decided how I will do this game. I'm going to go for a more old school approach to the game and have a lot of "fast-gameplay" sections. I think this will help me in the long run to complete it faster. Instead of one pace threw the entire game... I want to put more FPS elements into it. That is what FPSC was made for after all!

Diablo Chateau
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 00:53 Edited at: 18th Feb 2015 00:55
Do what feels right, we will be here to play it!

Quote: "I like his design style "

Likewise

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 15:02 Edited at: 19th Feb 2015 15:07
I started working on the NEW BEGINNING of the game. The Inn MAY play some part in the game but I have pushed the start of the game further back to a graveyard in Transylvania. I'm fully aware that more bumpy terrain would do the level some justice but enemy collision issues were astounding...

I present a terrible pun! -GRAVE DANGER-

I have SEVERAL new weapon selections with only certain weapons being able to kill a certain enemy. Here is a little spreadsheet work up I've done to balance out game-play and enemies (health and damage omitted).

Weapons Set

- Knife
- Crucifix
- Luger
- Magnum Revolver
- Kar98
- Sten / MP40

Enemy Set

- The Undying: A ghoul that simply refuses to die.
- The Reborn: An SS soldier re-animated to fight again.
- The Werewolf: Can only be killed by silver slug-rounds. 2 in the chest.
- The SS Sniper: He's held out this long. He won't let YOU take him out!
- The Gargoyle: He will hit you from afar and he will hit you up close too.
- The Specter: An intangible evil. Only the crucifix will destroy it.

These are subject to change at any time and this list does not include boss characters.

Thanks for reading. Higher-res shot attached.

Diablo Chateau

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 15:13 Edited at: 19th Feb 2015 15:14
Quote: "I present a terrible pun! -GRAVE DANGER"

That's awesome
Taking it in another direction may work out better for you?

Quote: " I've simply lost the "fun" in making it "

Oh I know that feeling. I hit a "wall" every once in awhile also.
Best of luck, I'll keep watching.

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That's awesome. Taking it in another direction may work out better for you?"

Yeah... Disturbing13 did that pun before me though. Anyways, the way I am taking it now is more on the line of a good old 2003 shooter. I have plenty of enemies and lots of locations to explore. I also have "hybrid-maps" which feature detailed indoor and outdoor sections... instead of just loading up a new level for interior sections.

Its going to put a strain on the engine and framerate but I'm having way more fun doing it this way.

Here is another picture from the same Graveyard level. This is "the keeper's cabin".

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2015 19:22
Two posts above mine... there is beauty right there. Made me download it immediately to my ever extending FPSC reference images folder.

SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 10:30
Astech, this is looking really fantastic!

Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Gaming Channel | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
After much consideration, I'm going to take another change in development. The current situation feels rather constraining so I'm going to try and go for a more Lovecraft feel.

If I can get FPSC to cooperate, I may even be able to get a full scale town working.

Diablo Chateau
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 17:23
Quote: "If I can get FPSC to cooperate, I may even be able to get a full scale town working."

I'd like to see that!!

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
This is the kind of thing that I have been waiting for. I love the visual aesthetic as well as your ideology on how the game is going to play out.

I'll be eagerly awaiting updates on this project.

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 09:09 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 09:11
As of at least 1 month ago, this project and any subsequent projects have been forever cancelled for FPSC. I have moved to another engine and actually away from the forum community. Game-Guru wasn't anything like I had thought it would be years from when I gold pledged to fund Reloaded (we see how that went).

About 1 week ago I accidentally formatted over my backup drive and lost nearly everything regarding FPSC. I've lost this as well as all the past games I've released (which I had taken down from online sites before then).

So, in short, I'm done with this engine and possibly the community. I may look back to here every few months but its a long sweet goodbye to the forum I used to enjoy.

Take it easy and maybe all of our paths will cross in the future!

-Astech (Astek)

Diablo Chateau
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 11:11 Edited at: 8th Aug 2015 11:12
@Astech

It's very sad you are leaving both the FPSC and the GG community.

I perfectly understand your disappointment with GG, I put hundreds of hours into understanding the engine and trying to put its advantages to some real use but I gave up.

But what both surprises and shocks me, is that even an experienced dev like you has become a victim of the FPSC curse.

I mean, I have read over and over and OVER again how all those promising games have been lost due to accidental (or rage-induce) HD formatting, hardware failure, theft, relocations, water-pipe ruptures, psychopathic younger siblings, natural disasters and even hungry pets - and the curse always targets those games that never had anything playable for us so all those could-be games are lost forever. It's sad.

Unfortunately the curse is FPSC specific, otherwise there wouldn't be so much random unity crap and cheap RPG Maker clones on Steam.

Maybe I should stop wasting my time on creating assets and try to replicate that powerful curse for the greater good of all gamers instead.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:31:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:31:41