Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Spine/Tween?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys I am new to this terminology of Spine and Tween Ive looked over the example projects and I see animations ?

Can somebody please explain to me what these methods are used for? and in what kind of situation would they be useful? I'm currently trying to get my head around some 2D animating and I am wondering if Spine and Tween could possibly help me find a solution

Native Technology
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 13:18 Edited at: 24th Oct 2014 13:23
Hi Native Tech.

Spine is a separate application for creating "bone-based" 2d animation. This is where you separate the parts of your character (or prop) and attach them to a skeleton where you can animate the positions. AppGameKit v2 includes support for loading and playing animations created with this tool. http://esotericsoftware.com/

The tweening commands refer to the time-based animation of various properties of various engine components (such as sprites, objects, cameras, so on.) This allows you to automatically animate the position, say, of a sprite from one point to another over a period of time. You use just one initial set of commands to set it up before just letting it do its thing. Another benefit of tweening is the possibility of using what are referred to as "easing functions" to control the movement. So instead of just linearly moving the sprite from point A to B in x amount of time, it will instead "ease" the sprite into point B in a smooth way. You can see the tweening example included with v2 for some idea of what the different easing functions look like. Keep in mind that you can animate many different properties using these commands--you can get really creative with it and implement some cool effects (fades, movements, color-shifts, etc, etc).

(As a side note, you could theoretically implement a Spine-like animation system for your characters using the tween commands, but that's what Spine is for.)
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for your info unlikely awesome, I spose I should have looked for this earlier as I went and coded a bit of my own spine functions directly with AppGameKit , wouldve been easier if I knew this earlier haha , Tweening seems quite interesting when u put it that way , Its giving me ideas as to wether I could make a primitive tree from say one trunk and 3 branches and use spine to animate the wind affect on the branches...hmmm interesting

Native Technology

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:55:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:55:58