Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Bluetooth multiplayer: Is it supported in AGK Tier 1, or generally in AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 11:52
At first, please forgive my ignorance in the status of multiplayer commands in AGK. Allow me then to ask if it is possible to make a Tier 1 game for iOS/Android that supports multiplayer via bluetooth.

I'm asking because I had the impression (by reading the multiplayer commands example) that AppGameKit supports multiplayer only on PC, at the moment.

If not Tier 1, is it possible through C++ functions in Tier 2?

Thank you for your time.

"For Those About to Program We Salute You"
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 00:43
The multiplayer commands are designed for clients to communicate with a server program. The server can be a mobile device, Mac, or PC. You could even design the client so that it functions as both. These are all designed to work over normal networks (not sure the protocol, probably TCP/IP).

There are NFC commands but the documentation says they aren't functional and if it is really NFC then they won't be feasible as the range would be way too short.

If you want to make multiplayer then I'd suggest going the TCP/IP route with the multiplayer commands or use a webserver and HTTP commands (but those might be too slow unless it is a turn based game). You'll get much better range and people can play over long distances.

You should be able to do this in tier 2. You'd need to modify the java files to have callbacks to the C++ code and set up the bluetooth in java. Gives me a headache just thinking about it
If you do go that route I imagine many folks would be interested in learning how to do it.

nickele upgraded
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 10:57
Thank you for your answer Naphier. I have A LOT to learn, for a lot of things it seems!

"For Those About to Program We Salute You"
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 05:56

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:15:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:15:58