Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I need help with new FPSC app

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 19:13 Edited at: 11th Nov 2014 19:16
As I return to FPSC Classic (I don't work that much in the winter) I have discovered that I really need a segment creator that works the way I like to work. (or think it should work, anyway) The app should make related items, at your choice and on the fly, so that you have something to build with, without changing apps all the time.

Visual Basic is very well suited to creating and copying files, which is the major work of such an app, but it sucks when it comes to 3d. It took me the best part of a day to find and configure 3rd apps to convert and view DDS and TGA files. I can make the application work fine as shown but in truth there is no substitute for a 3d, real-time view of what you're making. Sometimes what seems like a good match turns out bad when you see it all put together.

So what I'm looking for is a small viewer that I can plug into my app that uses command line input to view and rotate a common segment/entity. If someone wants to donate one written in DB, I'll plug it in and release the app for free. I'll still release it without it, but it would be nicer with it.

Also, since it will be a free app, if you have any input/suggestions to make it more intuitive and useful, let me know and I'll try to implement what I can.

Brian.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 01:04
xplosys
Looks very nice so far. Wish I could help with the 3D viewer,
I just don't know anything about DP.

Quote: "if you have any input/suggestions"

Yes, I do switch constantly between apps while working on a project. Did you want to add an "entity" type maker to this
or just stick with segments?

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 01:31 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 01:35
Quote: "Did you want to add an "entity" type maker to this
or just stick with segments?"

@ncmako
I don't have a problem adding an entity maker, it's just a matter of rearranging items and adding tabs. It's easier than making segments .... IF .... someone donates a viewer. Without one it really wouldn't work for me and probably not for anyone else without a preview.

Brian.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can use BMP, DDS, JPG, PNG or TGA textures and the program will convert all to DDS when making the segs.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 03:28
so what you need is a quick segment & entity viewer ?

--------
DBP Archive
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 04:30
Quote: "so what you need is a quick segment & entity viewer ?"

@gamerboots
Yes, but it must allow command line arguments. I would need to feed it meshes and textures on the fly through my app.

Brian.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 05:59
Ah, so it will need to do this in real time instead of pre construction of the object?

--------
DBP Archive
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 16:14
@gamerboots

From the DB perspective, I don't know how it works. I would imagine that as far as segments go, It would need to display the parts of an assembled room segment (floor and two wall - corner) and accept my program to feed to textures to those parts. For entities it would need to accept the mesh and texture from my program and display the model.

I can see also doing other things with this like decals, overlays, billboards, and possibly windows and doors.

Brian.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 16:38 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 17:34
Maybe drop Bullshock 2 an email and ask how he did this for FPSC Toolbox. Nice app by the way and looking very good already.

Edit - Perhaps these links will be useful
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh315734.aspx
http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Visual-Studio-3D-StarterKit

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 17:21
I'll send you a pm.

--------
DBP Archive
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 18:22
@Nomad Soul
Thanks for the input. My issue is that I don't know the C language and none of that is possible in VB, though I am learning ways to get around many of the obstacles. My FPSC experience pays off in that respect.

@gamerboots
Responded.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2014 22:50
I'm having a difficult time deciding how to work the "effect" portion of the program. Different shaders require different textures and I'm not sure how to handle that within the program. I don't want to just leave it to the end user to make sure he has the proper files for any given shader. Any thoughts?

Brian.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 16:36
Quote: "Different shaders require different textures and I'm not sure how to handle that within the program"

I think I know what you mean. Such a Bond1's Normal Mapping shader for Static Entities. I just know I have to make two Normals and rename one as _I.dds to get it to work. It is just something I've
gotten used to doing manually.
I really cant think of a way around this other than making a "manual" explaining the required textures needed?

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 17:18 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2014 17:20
I guess you would need to setup the application based on the stock FPSC shaders and then have some kind of custom setting which allows advanced users to setup their own configuration. Basically you would need to allow the user to define how many texture slots they require, the texture type for each e.g. D2,D,N,S etc then allocate each texture.

I created Nomad Mod to give users a standard set of shaders that work across everything in a consistent way but for an application like this you need to allow people to use custom.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 17:45
So effects would have a configuration panel where you create a template/name for each effect you want to use (other than what's already setup in the program) and then those templates/names are added to the effect list you select from. That's a good start. If you want to add another effect, you have to define it first.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 17:55 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2014 17:56
Yeah the templates are a good idea. For any shader you define it should have a template where the number of textures and type of texture can be selected then the user can allocate the textures for each slot.

The default templates should be setup for the stock shaders with the correct textures required for those.

Edit - Out of interest how did you solve the 3d model viewer?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 18:04
I didn't solve it, but I'm getting around it with a 2d representation of a 3d room. It still needs work but will be OK for segments because you don't really need to rotate the room and look at it like you do with entities.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 18:15
You fooled me !!

Looking great BTW

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 19:47 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2014 19:53
Quote: " I'm getting around it with a 2d representation of a 3d room"

Fooled me too I think it looks great. The setup you have is really all that is needed to view a room segment I guess. It's a clean crisp view. I like the white lines for contrast.

Almost forgot, I don't know if you caught my other posting.
Scene Commander wrote a couple 3d mesh viewers in Dark Basic
awhile ago that he released. One is the FPSC Limb-Finder tool.
Maybe he can help in that dept.???
best

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 20:24
ncmako, yes I did see that thanks. I'm taking my time looking at options while I work this out.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 16:10
xplosys
Sent you a PM. Also noticed you updated the "constructor"
image. Looks very nice.
best

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 00:41
Thanks ncmako.
Check your messages.
Happy Holidays.
Brian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:57:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:57:26