Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / interstitial Ads - Load Times

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 12:12 Edited at: 9th Dec 2014 12:16
I'm currently using Chartboost in one of my recent games, but am noticing quite lengthy load times on the ads (usually 2-3 seconds). As it freezes the app, there is no indication to the user that an ad is being loaded and it looks like the app has simply frozen...

I did use AdMob previously and I didn't notice this was an issue before (and may revert back). Is anyone else using Chartboost and are experiencing the same? I read somewhere that it is possible to cache the ads prior to showing them. This would be great if AppGameKit could somehow support this.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 13:49
I use it on a few apps and haven't noticed any significant pauses.

Could this be your internet connection speed?
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 13:53
Quote: "Could this be your internet connection speed?"

Internet Speed would definitely play a part in this, but for me this is unlikely, my internet speed is like 80Mb...

These laoding times are probably pretty standard, I just thought it would be worth a mention just in case there is anything wrong with the integration, and/or whether it would be possible to cache the ads prior to displaying them...

Thanks for the response.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2014 03:39 Edited at: 11th Dec 2014 03:56
Quote: "I'm currently using Chartboost in one of my recent games... Is anyone else using Chartboost"

What do these type (interstitial) ads pay anyway (the ad broker sites don't say), if you don't mind me asking?
Is that like per impression, with a bonus for a click through, or what?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 09:17
Paul's not caching the ads before display and creating a new activity every time you call the interstitial. I think I've convinced him this is a bad idea and I gave him my implementation so we can make use of caching. Also his implementation will report bootups incorrectly in Chartboost as it thinks you're booting up every time an ad is displayed.
If you play my games you should not notice any delay like this.
The implementation I gave Paul is very simple so hopefully he'll make use of it soon and I won't have to rewrite his code for it.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 10:49
When I eventually get around to publishing one of my games or apps, I'd like to use Chartboost interstitials too but don't want big frozen app delays. Please add my vote for this to be fixed in the next release

If you don't mind me asking Sean, how did you implement Chartboost? Did you implement the SDK tier2 stylee, or did you tweak the player somehow and build it into a customised tier1? Thanks!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 20:03
It's a tier 1 customization to the AGKHelper.java file. Pretty straight forward. What I do is repurpose CreateAdvert() (initializes the Chartboost session), SetAdvertVisible(displays app wall or interstitial), and RequestAdvertRefresh() (caches interstitials although in my newest integration I just cache automatically when cb is initialized or an ad is dismissed).
It was a little tough to get going, but the folks at Chartboost were happy to help.
I have the java file for it on my site naplandgames.com/agk but I haven't updated that for Chartboost 5.0.x which requires some minor changes.

I've got a few other customizations in there for analytics and install tracking. As well as proper method for minimizing the app on android (agk's end command is a fairly big no no as it terminates the app which should be left to the OS to do - Apple will even reject you for using something like that). The minimization method is also on my site. A very very simple modification.

Feel free to hit me up with questions via email if you need help with any of them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:42:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:42:49