Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How long is my subscription or license valid ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 17:53
Hi there !!

I'm a user from stencyl.com (a visual Game Maker), and now i want to work with AGK2 and i bought it some days ago over STEAM (Love it) AGK2 is a great product !! THANK YOU !!
But please let me ask you, how long is my subscription valid ?
At Stencyl.com you have to pay every year a new license for almost 200$
But with the Steam (Bundelstars) sale, i payed less and i ask me, how long is this licence valid ?

Thank you !!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 20:08
Hi Vectrex! AppGameKit is not on a subscription model. You pay once and get all of the 2.x updates.

That's not to say that TGC won't release paid plugins, etc. at some point (though there are no public plans to, per se), but you should have a perpetual license to use 2.x, afaik!
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 20:28
Yep, buy once and it's yours. You still have to pay Apple $99 a year but AppGameKit is a one off purchase.

tbh if you were paying the price (£59) annually you'd still be a lot better off than you would be under most other systems. Some are 'free' but there's limitations and splash screens and what have you.
Vectrex71
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 08:08
Woow, that's amazing !! Thank you guys !! Thank you TGC !!
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Subscription models are possibly my most hated things ever! Glad there are still companies like AppGameKit that understand that when you buy something....you should own it!!!!
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 12:56 Edited at: 10th Dec 2014 12:57
Quote: " Subscription models are possibly my most hated things ever! Glad there are still companies like AppGameKit that understand that when you buy something....you should own it!!!! "

You are so right
It's like with the play store and app store. For the play store, you pay once and you are in. For the app store, you have to pay each year.
Iam also Happy TGC has this better system. It keeps me buying special sales

Your licence key will be valid forever.
Welcome to the forums, Vectrex71

[/url]
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 13:10
I agree - but there's no reason why significant upgrades should not be charged.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 14:56 Edited at: 10th Dec 2014 14:56
Welcome, Vectrex71!

Quote: "At Stencyl.com you have to pay every year a new license for almost 200$"

This is exactly what turned me off of Stencyl. That and I actually prefer programming from scratch, as it lets me set things up the way I need to, instead of trying to modify things in an existing engine. I actually find the drag-and-drop design of most visual engines more difficult than programming!

Anyway, I hope you find AppGameKit to be very enjoyable!

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree - but there's no reason why significant upgrades should not be charged."

Completely agree! AppGameKit, when you think what you can do with it is a complete steal! I can't think of many hobbies that are as cheap as programming on AGK. I'd like to see V3 in the works as soon as V2 is out the door with even more goodies!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 15:44
I think we'll see plugins and DLC stuff for a long time before we see AGKv3
It's the best way I think, because the people who want specific functions or content can pay for it - like a 2D map editor for AppGameKit might be pretty cool, even if there is no special internal support, sometimes all people need is a well written tutorial or example to get them on track.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Vectrex, I hope that with a name like that you have some retro projects in mind!

I am the one who knocks...
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 18:36
Do us a 2014 Dark Tower
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 23:44
I like the fact the none of TGC products require a subscription but I wouldn't have an issue with paying for an AppGameKit V3.

With a cross platform language like AppGameKit, keeping up to date with all the changes to the various platform feels like a nightmare. I personally think it's a little unrealistic to expect TGC (or anyone else) to keep updating their software for free to cope with things that are outside of their control.

I like the idea of a modular approach using plugins, people only have to buy the functionality they need, but then the plugins (or extra utilities like map editors or media or whatever) need to pay for the up keep of the core product as well. If I look at DBPro, I feel that this approach has ultimately failed.

For other software I use that's comparable in cost to AppGameKit (TurboCAD) you pay full price the first time and then, as a registered user, you can buy any future update at a discount, you can even skip versions, but the license for whatever version you have never runs out.

Vectrex71
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2014 08:30
Quote: "Welcome to the forums, Vectrex71 "

Thanks !!

Quote: "Anyway, welcome to the forum Vectrex, I hope that with a name like that you have some retro projects in mind"

We will see
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 17:20
Welcome to the boards Vectrex71! Friendly bunch in here. Any AppGameKit questions, just post 'em up

Glad to see more users coming on board!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 11:12
I agree that subscriptions are a bad choice for AGK. Unless you are constantly making money, that could be quite expensive. However, TGC needs to make money to continue developing AGK. That's why users need to keep paying for new features. But you should not loose the ability to use what you have already bought. AppGameKit 2 is definitely worth the price, and more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:31:54