Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Newbie seeking an answer before I delve into the dev realm.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a question. I have absolutely no programming experience, but as I have just relocated to a new city, lets just say that I have a bit of free time on my hands.

The question is, I have an idea for a game, that I mostly want to try on the mobile platform first as it seems suited for it, the idea is a roguelike type game that involves collecting cards from a random pool inside the game. This isn't going to be any 3d, so I can use sprites. Combat is mostly stat based, as in I am using random numbers (dice rolls for attacking), while movement is going to be an plane (sort of like how Sorcery! for android is).

Is this doable on AppGameKit?

secondly, if so, how would you recommend I start off learning, I saw the amazon book "Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows" which looks like was made for AppGameKit in mind.

Thank you for your time!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 16:36
you should begin with sketches how the screen should look.
make the game art.
wrote down in steps the game logic.
begin programming each step.

at multiplayer over web i see some barrier.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 17:09
Quote: "Is this doable on AppGameKit?"

Absolutely doable. Right now, 2D is AGK's strength. You will however have the learning curve of programming in general, but AppGameKit keeps it simple and performs a lot of the hard work for you, allowing you to focus on game logic.

Quote: "I saw the amazon book "Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows" which looks like was made for AppGameKit in mind."

Daniel has been part of the AppGameKit community since the beginning and prior, he has a clear approach to teaching you the building blocks of games programming.

You can probably cross out Android in the Title and replace it with "Android, iOS, Windows and Mac". The leap from Android to all platforms is almost non-existent.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 00:50
AGK is a very logical language and IMO very easy to pick up, especially if you get Daniels book, that'll take you right through all the things you need to know.

Really, I think with a card game like you describe, the biggest task will be the artwork - once you have some workable art, it's very quick and easy to get it into AppGameKit and behaving how you want. For example, say you had a single image of card faces, 8x8 cards on the image at say, 256x256 each (best to stick to power 2 sizes). The AppGameKit code to load that, and create a sprite for each card would look a bit like this:

That little bit of code loads the image, makes a sprite from it, then clones that sprite 63 times and sets the frame so each one has a different face - then positions them randomly and loops through a standard main loop.

Seriously, I'm a long toothed hobbyist/indie developer and I've used pretty much everything out there - AGKv2 isn't the cheapest option, but it's an investment that will go somewhere if you can put in some time, there will be a crazily successful indie game made in AppGameKit before very long, I'm sure of it.

I am the one who knocks...
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 02:48
I would add only one minor caveat ; that the Teach Yourself stuff (and Hands On) is for AppGameKit 1. AppGameKit 2 is very very similar but not identical, so you cannot use all the examples exactly as written. The changes needed are quite minor but could be a little problematical if you have no programming experience. One of them (Hands On ?) is being revised as we speak. I think that the explanations are very well written, both are good tutorials. Hands On AppGameKit has more exercises to do than Teach Yourself if you prefer learning by doing.

It may even be worth considering purchasing AGK1 first - I see that there is currently a sale on for $29.99 (with some other stuff !) which is ludicrously cheap really, and then progress to AGK2.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 06:07
First off - yes! That idea is 150% doable in AppGameKit!

Quote: "It may even be worth considering purchasing AGK1 first - I see that there is currently a sale on for $29.99 (with some other stuff !) which is ludicrously cheap really, and then progress to AGK2."

I disagree; I'd recommend starting with AGK2. I see it as similar to DBC vs. DBPro (only less of a jump - so far!). I started with DBPro, and even though I only used DBC-level features for ages and ages, eventually I really appreciated having started with the more powerful, newer and more reliable language.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 09:11
If you plan on getting the book, you might as well go straight for AGKv2. The examples might not work exactly as written, but this forum has a lot of friendly users who'll be more than happy to help you out with any problems you may have

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:17:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:17:25