Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Resolutions, ratios, and scissors.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 19:09
Hi all,

I've been tinkering with AGK2 recently, and I've been playing with setvirtualresolution and screen resolutions.

Sofar, I've been using setvirtualresolution targeting 1280x720 with setscissors(0,0,0,0), and if needing a full screen sprite (such as background), then I've been making the original image 100px larger than the target resolution, with the hope of not having the dreaded "black bars".

I've got four android devices for testing, all of different resolutions, and this seems to work well sofar.

I thought 1280x720 should be a good bet (720p standard, 16:9 ratio, should resize nicely to 1080p also 16:9). I was looking into resolutions/ratios of new android devices and the vast majority seem to be 16:9 or 16:10. None of my test devices are 4:3 (is there such thing as a 1024x768 tablet?). Also, all of my devices seem to have physical buttons, instead of android's "virtual button bar", which i'm guessing knocks a good 50px off the resolution?

I was wondering what resolutions/ratios other people target? How much larger are your "background sprites" than the target resolution? How do you test for other devices?

Thanks,
Shock.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 20:34
1280x720 for Handy is ok, but full hd is better for pc monitors.
also think before u make game art if you want use zoom in screen.
i have a 4:3 tablet but i choose more 16:9.
i using mainly screen buttons because android<>pc,
i want have something that can be used at all devices.
with the hardware keys i trigger my "screen" buttons.
i know that android supports switch to full screen, but don't know if it is possible
with agkv2 now.
if u useing square background (max width/height) or tile background
there is no problem.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:16:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:16:06