Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NaGaCreMo / Oh Man! [AGK] [2015]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 14:00 Edited at: 26th Jan 2015 12:33
DEMO

This is a remake of a game I started in DBPro in 3D (link for interested people).

I'm doing it slightly more tongue in cheek this time and using a new 2D lighting system which is part shader part sprite based. I aim to have a "full" working demo with at least a couple of levels by the end of the month. I recently completely revamped the character controller to be physics based because I got sick of messing around with the collision code and I wanted to make it more "state" based to save on conditional statements (which were becoming a pain).

Currently I've spent most of my time working on the level editor, character controls and shader/s but development is starting to speed up now that these are nearly complete.

Level Editor:

I'll put a few screenshots up, here's one of the first "training" level:

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 14:01 Edited at: 5th Jan 2015 14:01
Here is another from the first level:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 14:02 Edited at: 5th Jan 2015 14:02
The start of the second level:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 14:03 Edited at: 5th Jan 2015 14:03
...and the level editor for that level:

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 18:46
love the lighting and graphics! Nice work!

www.sheldonscreations.com
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 21:50 Edited at: 5th Jan 2015 21:52
Bax you inspired me with that level editor, for that I thank you!

Looking good thus far!

EDIT

OH I thought this was top down, saw it on my mobile earlier...

I have something similar in mind but in 3D! will work on it later in the year!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 09:30 Edited at: 6th Jan 2015 09:34
Cheers guys, here is the main character and a zombie in action (export from spine):

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 09:37
hehe, cute!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 15:54
Another cool NaGaCreMo project!
I saw a Kickstarter campaign for a guy doing shaders that allowed for 2d dynamic lighting, and it looked a bit tricky for me.
I have never fooled with making my own shader so I avoided this technique, but I see you have managed to conquer it.
Congrats, this is looking good.

My NaGaCreMo entry is looking very plain compared to you guys.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 16:11 Edited at: 6th Jan 2015 16:43
Thanks CE, actually the lighting isn't terribly complicated here. I am drawing "lights" onto an "ambient" background (in this case nearly black) using the render to image commands. This image is used with a multiply fullscreen shader I've shared here: Multiply shader thread

The shadows are all scene sprites simply made black and semi-transparent and pasted (with a calculated offset) over the background sprites before the 2Dfront sprites are rendered.

There's a little fiddling other than that but I could share a "basic" version of it here if I get my demo finished on time... just uploading a video of the game in action.

EDIT: Video of gameplay

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 18:16
That video looks great.
Nice training level before the zombies.
The various sounds for the player are great.
When I turn up the volume to hear them better, the zombies scream.
The sound for the zombies seems a bit loud for a zombie groan, based on other sound levels.
The video stops around 50 seconds and goes blank, but the beginning looks great.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 23:18
Not quite sure the video is 29 minutes long, I'm testing a new video editor that automatically loads to youtube and I never looked at the length of the video after I left it loading up. It's only supposed to be 50 seconds total. That's hilarious

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 01:14
yeah just checked out the video... this games awesome bax. I cant wait to play this

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 04:41
That is looking to be a fun game!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 09:25 Edited at: 7th Jan 2015 11:52
I have a lot of work to do... the 'boss' zombies are going to be pretty cool. I plan on making some large bad guys that you can beat using your wits rather than firepower. Throwing stuff at zombies will only slow them down. I might have a go at the first boss just so I can throw it in the demo at some point. I'm already working on a few extra zombie skins.

I'll reload the video later to put a higher quality version up and another one of the level editor in action. That "scream" the zombies make is a bug although an occasional scary noise like that might add to the ambience, I may have to create some more noises...

I have another gameplay idea that if you can get to a "purge" button you can kill everything in the room. I might try to get that into the mix as well as moving platforms, key-cards, push-able/destroyable crates and a few other ideas. Don't want the first couple of areas to get too complicated but I think I still need to add a few more things for the demo for it to feel complete.

EDIT: Here's the original at much higher quality:

...and here's the level editor in action:

Zombie boss preview (Not happy with it yet but the animation is spot on):

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 12:25
Which edition of Spine! are you using? curious to know if the basic edition has enough features... might consider it for future purchase...

I like the fact that not just one of us is working on an editor this year!

I spent I think 2 hours writing a complicated [to me that is] saving and loading system using STYX, but it was fun, just got to implement it into my editor...

Is your editor dynamic as in jump into game mode for testing or did you clip the video? I plan to allow that at a later point in the month...

I feel a lot of the entries this year feature higher complexity than ever before!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 12:41 Edited at: 7th Jan 2015 12:42
I'm using the pro edition of spine although I'm not using any of the features that aren't in the essential version as they aren't supported yet anyway. You'd be fine with that version.

Yes, making an editor is one way of speeding up the part of game creation I find the hardest. Level design.

The video of my editor is not clipped and it's real-time. I made it so I can jump into the game and test as I go. When I exit game mode into level editor mode I reset the objects to their original position. It's essential for me to be able to do that for ease of testing new features (and bugs)...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 13:56
Thanks!

I agree!

I don't follow, reset?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 16:22
Reset as in put the player, zombies and any interactive objects back in their starting position.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 18:45
Looking nice, Baxslash! Good to see you're still around.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 19:09
Quote: "I have a lot of work to do... the 'boss' zombies are going to be pretty cool. I plan on making some large bad guys that you can beat using your wits rather than firepower. Throwing stuff at zombies will only slow them down. I might have a go at the first boss just so I can throw it in the demo at some point. I'm already working on a few extra zombie skins."

Here's a spoiler, I opted to use other people as the Bosses in my zombie epic Battle of the Dead( infinite WIP), instead of zombies. I got that idea from Bond1's Chainsaw Brute boss, thinking he would make an excellent psycho. His mental breakdown resulting from the horrific circumstances caused by the pandemic made him loose his love for all mankind. So, he just killed every person he encountered whether zombie or survivor. Anyway, I lacked the imagination necessary to make a zombie challenging enough to be a decent boss. It was easy to imagine lots of people going completely nuts in a zombie pandemic though (lots of them are crazy without a pandemic). So, zombies may be the least of your worries should someone think you are there to take their stronghold or supplies. Weapon stashes make nice rewards for defeating the boss too, so that made everything easier for me.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2015 09:54
I had a similar idea for this game in so far as I was planning on adding soldiers who shoot anything that moves. I think adding a little stealth to this game would work really well

Like the idea of a nut-job boss though!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 17:27
Added:
Parallax background
Enemies can be knocked out by thrown items
Better distinction between background and foreground objects
Full physics character controllers
Fixed some annoying bugs

Next:
Purge!
Keycards
More objects that can be thrown
More hazards like chemical vat, hot steam vents, SWAT teams
Pipes

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 23:00
Nice! Stick a screenie up

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 00:39
Will do. The parallax is subtle but nice. I darkened the background tiles and it really makes the foreground pop out a lot more. Really is quite fun to play.

I also spent some time on the Save/Load, timer based movement and physics scaling because I was getting inconsistent physics results on different resolutions and my tile size needed to be variable too. Finally (after all this time) got my head around some of this stuff...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 01:08
Speaking of Save/Load... oh boy is it a doozy when working with Automatic saving......

Looking forward to seeing more!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 23:12 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 09:26
Here's throwing a vent cover at a zombie and killing him dead... more dead anyway also you'll see one of the new skins near the end of the vid, the new parallax (subtle) and darkened background.

I don't want this to become too easy by killing zombies with loads of weapons but tactical use of throw-able objects could become key to the game in some stages. Also I thought zombies could drop items like key-cards when 'killed'.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 23:22
Can you link it too?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 23:56
Still uploading... not sure why it's taking so long. Internet must be getting pounded here tonight!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 06:32
Still dead, this is why I do not use YouTube so much...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 09:19 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 09:27

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 09:40 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 09:46
// Not to worry, work on the project for now!

PM incoming your way!

EDIT

Where did you get your sound effects from?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 16:05
that looks awesome....love the physics!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 03:00
Just saw this on my desktop, WOW love the background parallax!

I am guessing you caked the shadows on for performance? or it is a secondary layer above it?

Keep it up!

I seldom play these types of games, mostly because they are boring, this is FUN! and totally reminds me of MGS!

Where it says 16 in the background, is that the level number? if not it should be! would make for a funny reference starting to remind me of the floors in the Shinra Tower in FFVII, they had Floor Number marks on the floors and on some walls outside the lifts and stairs... something I felt was a brilliant addition and thought!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 08:41
The shadows are drawn real-time after the Render2Dback call which makes for slow performance if every light creates shadows. I've taken shadows off all but the torch now because it was running too slow on one of my machines and it's much better but I may put it back in once I've done a few more optimisations.

16 is how far 'underground' the player starts. Effectively it's the level number for level 1.

Glad you like it

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 13:09
Quote: "16 is how far 'underground' the player starts. Effectively it's the level number for level 1."

Quote: "The shadows are drawn real-time after the Render2Dback call which makes for slow performance if every light creates shadows. I've taken shadows off all but the torch now because it was running too slow on one of my machines and it's much better but I may put it back in once I've done a few more optimisations."

I was thinking you could store the dynamically created shadowing, but then realised quickly that you would be wasting time getting them to align....... hmm what if each room block had its own shadow image instead of the entire level? and you turn off a previous room shadow when the player enters a new room? just thinking...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 15:07
I have a room system that might be used like that, I'll keep it in mind!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 13:30 Edited at: 13th Jan 2015 13:30
Started working on the HUD and pickups:

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 14:14
Oxygen!?

Now I am intrigued even more!

Love the use of a key card!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 14:40
Well the guy is in a hazmat suit so at some point he needs to top up his oxygen... if he runs out, well it's curtains I'm afraid.

Did I mention no saves during levels yet? If you get right up to the exit at the end of the level and die then you start from the beginning of the level. I was going to do it that there would be no saves at all but that's just mean

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 14:45
That is cruel for sure!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 18:14
Just got pickups working in the new HUD. Health packs and Oxygen can now be picked up and used

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 18:56
That is progress!!

Posting my demo shortly... Actually it is online just not linked yet >.<

Have you had a thought on a demo of your game, maybe 1 level, looks so fun!

You need to get it on kickstarter me thinks! Just to get the word out if not intended to run one!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 22:44
The demo should be done in a couple of weeks. I aim to have the first level done for that which will be roughly 1/20th of the full game.

I might look at marketing the game later. For now I just want to make it and make it well...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 03:42
Quote: "If you get right up to the exit at the end of the level and die then you start from the beginning of the level. I was going to do it that there would be no saves at all but that's just mean"

Mwuhahahahaha
Charge them to save?
Mwuhahahahaha

Using AppGameKit V1 Tier 1
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 08:41
I want it to be hard and frustrating (hence the name) but I also want it to be fun. I'm not doing any crazy cashing in for upgrades. I haven't decided what kind of monetisation to use yet but I'll keep it simple and fair.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 13:35
Progress:
Zombies can crawl along air vents
Crates can be pushed (and other dynamic physics objects)
Dynamic objects now make noises when they hit something (based on changes in velocity)
All scene sound effects now have their volume based on distance from the player
Game now scales and plays nicely any device size
Lots more little niggles fixed

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 15:06
Starting to sound like Resident Evil with zombies crawling through vents [Movie not game]

Keep it up!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 23:36 Edited at: 17th Jan 2015 13:29
Just bought some superb ambient music / sfx for this. I really need to work on the menu and Game Over sequence to get this thing looking as hot as it should.

Getting very excited about this game now

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 07:16
oh man! i wanna play this! lol

Login to post a reply