Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [Released] Double Lane!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 23:25 Edited at: 8th Jan 2015 13:36
An adaptation to my previous app Double Jump!... If you found Double Jump hard, don't try this one lol... // I take this back, having seen people play both, it would appear Double Lane is easier. Let me know what you think

Jump the two Blue Blocks back and forth in their respective lanes, avoiding the falling Red Blocks...

Available on Google Play, with iOS following shortly (if I can eventually get the exporter to work )...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.doublelane

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 23:25
Screenshot

Attachments

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 23:27 Edited at: 6th Jan 2015 23:28
Another screenshot

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2015 13:01
Quote: "If you found Double Jump hard, don't try this one"

That's me out then!
Double Jump could benefit from starting a bit easier. I also found that the downward movement of the screen made me move my fingers down and out of the screen, that was my biggest weakness.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2015 13:17 Edited at: 8th Jan 2015 13:35
Quote: "That's me out then!"

Lol... Double Lane is definitely harder in terms of getting a high score, but is easier to actually play. If that makes any sense? What I have found with Double Jump is that if people can't get the timing right, they simply can't get any score... Where as with Double Lane, there is no timing per-se, its more about quickly moving the block to the correct lane to avoid a collision... Definitely works the brain lol...

Quote: "Double Jump could benefit from starting a bit easier."

The only way of making it easier is to slow it down, but the problem with that, is by slowing it down, you have to be more accurate with jumping at the right time... I actually find it harder when I slow it down as timing the jumps has very little margin for error...

Thanks for the post

EDIT: Just thinking about this comment a bit more... I'm going to change the the incremental speed of Double Lane, just to give each game a little more longevity... Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it...
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 06:19
is this tier 2 or 1 ? i want to know how you did the ads sliding? instead of just bulking the screen
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 12:44
@haliop_new, I use Tier 1 AppGameKit v2... I am using Chartboost as the ad provider which is already part of AppGameKit v2. The sliding affect is handled by the Chartboost SDK and not anything I implemented myself...

Although Chartboost looks prettier, I'm actually thinking of going back to AdMob. Chartboost pays per install (for the vast majority of ads), and I am finding that I get a fair few clicks but very few actual installs. This means I am earning next to nothing. Where as with AdMob, they pay per click, which guarantees 'some' revenue...

Chartboost ads also seem to take a while to load. I think this is due to AppGameKit not caching the ads. I believe Paul may be looking into changing this though...
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 10:45
aha i see
i use AdMob which is fine but its taking the entire screen with no nice visual attached to it .. so its kinda bad when it comes to the athmosphere i want it to give to the game..
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 17:45
Double Lane! is now published on SlideMe...

http://slideme.org/application/double-lane

Still working on the iOS release...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 18:13 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2015 18:18
Seems really fun. I wish you would raise the bar just a tad on both games. Your giving us so little room to tap.
I often miss so many times

Ill keep trying

Edit: I don't think its me missing. I think its a delay in registering that the screen is clicked.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 18:46
Quote: "I wish you would raise the bar just a tad on both games. Your giving us so little room to tap."

There is actually a very good reason for that lol... 'Multicoder' found a little trick which enabled you to get a high score very easily on Double Jump!, I had to ensure the user could only click below that line... Here's the discussion if your interested;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212735&b=48&msg=2543032#m2543032

Quote: "Edit: I don't think its me missing. I think its a delay in registering that the screen is clicked."

Yeah, unfortunately the touch is registered when you 'release' and not when its 'pressed', which gives a slight delay. I have created a thread for this on the main page as I cannot work out how to achieve this. It doesn't seem possible (at least to me anyway )...

Thanks for playing

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 12:20
Quote: "unfortunately the touch is registered when you 'release' and not when its 'pressed', which gives a slight delay."

So I managed to hash something together so that it detects when 'pressed' and not when 'released'. This removes the slight delay when moving between lanes... Hopefully this helps

Update available on Google Play and SlideMe.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 15:40
I had too much trouble timing my jumps in double jump.
Going to get this now, and try it out.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 08:00
lol
I tried it and I like this a lot more than Double Jump. (I visited the scoreboard)

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 19:50
@Funnell7, crickey this is not easy lol, managed to get on the score board though hehe!

I have rated it on the Play Store for you and my daughter saw me playing it and took the phone off me, she is now addicted to it and has downloaded it on her phone and is going to be telling all her friends!!

Might be some more downloads and reviews there mate

Great game, the simple ideas are always the best! Good music too

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 21:38
@Conjured:

My daughter Emily has just beaten your top score with 150!!!
She wouldn't put the phone down until she did lol.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 21:56
The new touch detection is a massive improvement, a much more enjoyable game while still challenging. Well done!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 03:06 Edited at: 28th Feb 2015 04:07
Quote: "My daughter Emily has just beaten your top score with 150!!!
She wouldn't put the phone down until she did lol.
"

lol I can relate.
I bet she was as happy as she was relieved.
Tell her I said nice job, but now its my turn again.
She will probably try for 200 though, even if nobody beats her score of 150.
This game has that type of effect on some of us.

edit
lol Emily already had 171 by the time I beat her 150!

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 04:25
Quote: "lol Emily already had 171 by the time I beat her 150! "

Give my hats off to Emily. Im good at these games(atleast I thought I was)
I cant get past Score 40.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 08:22 Edited at: 28th Feb 2015 10:09
lol
Your turn Emily.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2015 12:49
Lol she can't believe you got over 300, think I am not going to get any peace now for a bit haha

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 00:50 Edited at: 1st Mar 2015 00:51
Lol @conjured Emily is jumping around the living room screaming! She said....well.....try.....7 3 8

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 16:11 Edited at: 1st Mar 2015 16:20
Quote: "Lol @conjured Emily is jumping around the living room screaming! She said....well.....try.....7 3 8 "

lol
She is awesome! (she wasted no time stomping my score)
I think I may wait awhile to attempt breaking that one, you know, when I have more time. (it'll take me forever and a day to beat her score)

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 17:59
I can't get anywhere near your score never mind Emily's lol

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 11:32
Thanks all I appreciate the comments...

There are some serious scores on there now! Good work! Emily is a 'Double Lane!' machine lol! Her top score is incredible...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 23:38 Edited at: 5th Mar 2015 00:03
Quote: "There are some serious scores on there now! Good work! Emily is a 'Double Lane!' machine lol! Her top score is incredible..."

I tried a few more times, and was doing great, until my blind cat started talking to me and broke my focus.
I hope you are a cat lover Emily, because this one seems to be a fan of yours.
The game was challenging enough, but now that she has set the bar that high, it is almost like the ultimate challenge now.
Unless they have a super power or something, then a beginner is going to need a whole lot of practice to even come close.

I wanted to mention the double score glitch.
I noticed a few other people scores were doubled, and thought, wow that was some coincidence that they got the exact same score again.
Now I know it was a glitch and not a coincidence.
When I submitted my score (2nd place) it gave the failed message so I submitted it again, only to find that it had went through the first time and now appeared twice because of the double submission.

I like how you keep the score there for us to resubmit when the connection fails, but maybe you could change that score check.

It seems your condition being used now of matching our old scores is used to determine if we get to submit, so it would only do greater than ( > ) because that is how you have it coded. (right?)
The trouble is that check is not performed on the resubmit, so the successful score submission that was reported as failed is there to be equal to and defy the > check that was performed.
Maybe the submit/resubmit button can fetch the scores and double check that submission before posting it.
I hope this makes sense, because I have not seen your code obviously, but I think I know how it is getting past it.

Anyway, I hope this helps and ignore me if I am thinking about your code wrong.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 04:03
Shame on you conjured telling a man how to eat his cookies...
Sounds about right to me I think the whole game is glitched it wont let me get on the High Scores.

http://crazyprogrammerproductions.webs.com/
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 04:42 Edited at: 5th Mar 2015 05:22
Quote: "Shame on you conjured telling a man how to eat his cookies..."

Just reporting the double post for that score, and my thoughts on the potential cause of the problem and a suggestion for a possible quick fix. (typical tester)
Still clueless on why it reports failed when successful, but this might correct the unwanted results when it does.
Apologies if I came across as if I am trying to tell him how to make his game. (just trying to help)

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 12:46 Edited at: 5th Mar 2015 15:51
Quote: "Apologies if I came across as if I am trying to tell him how to make his game."

No need to apologise, suggestions and helpful comments are what got me here in the first place. AppGameKit was my first real coding experience and I couldn't have done it without all the help and support from the forum

Quote: "Maybe the submit/resubmit button can fetch the scores and double check that submission before posting it."

My app doesn't actually check the scoreboard before allowing you to submit. The problem here is that I currently auto timeout after about 5 seconds and assume the initial call failed. But what is happening is that the submission is taking more than 5 seconds.

Quote: "I like how you keep the score there for us to resubmit when the connection fails"

Yeah, I wanted to ensure that the user can re-submit their score on a timeout/failure, as it would be really annoying if you got the top score only for it to not submit (its happened to me before lol)...

I could increase the auto timeout to say 7 seconds, but on a slow connection this issue could still occur...

Unfortunately, it's just something which I have to deal with. What I sometimes do is go in and manually remove all the duplicates... Which you'll see I have now done

Thanks again for the suggestion, its appreciated...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 15:31
Emily said, as long as you don't remove her score

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 15:54
Im just joshin you Conjured

You could always increase the timer to 10 seconds...Once the score is submitted successful the game moves on

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 16:15 Edited at: 5th Mar 2015 16:16
Quote: "You could always increase the timer to 10 seconds...Once the score is submitted successful the game moves on "

Indeed I could... Its a fine balance, asking the user to wait up to 10 seconds before it timesout is quite a long time IMO... I'll probably increase it to 8 seconds or something... That'll do for now

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2015 16:34
Quote: "Emily said, as long as you don't remove her score"

Yeah, just let me bump it down a notch, now and then.
Speaking of which...

@ Emily
Your turn!!!

@ Funnell7, I need you to remove another double score post. (my connection is crappy, sorry)

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2015 19:17
Quote: "@Emily
Your turn!!!"

She said well done but...... don't expect it to be there for long as she's gunning for 1000+ now!

I still can't get anywhere near it myself lol but @Conjured I nearly got your Jellyfish dive score the other night

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2015 20:02
Quote: "She said well done but...... don't expect it to be there for long as she's gunning for 1000+ now!"

lol
So was I, and I thought I had it that time, but looking up for a fraction of a second to see the score can be deadly in this game.

She is much faster at beating my scores than I am at beating hers, so I know it won't take her too long.
I think we have gone high enough now though, that getting any higher is going to be quite a challenge. (is for me anyways)

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 18:51
Quote: "I need you to remove another double score post."

Done... Although by accident, I removed both of them ... Only messing. Thats gonna be a tough score to beat, good skills...

In other news, Double Lane! has now been submitted to iOS, hopefully, this will give you a little more competition

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 19:27
Quote: "In other news, Double Lane! has now been submitted to iOS, hopefully, this will give you a little more competition "

Congrats!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2015 11:33
Double Lane! is now available on iOS;

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/double-lane!/id971765069?ls=1&mt=8

I thought I'd take a punt at one of these Paid Review services (have tried pretty much everything else lol) just to see what its all about... I found what looks like a decent site Appszoom. You'll see Double Lane! in the Featured Review section with an 'Expert Score' of 7.4 out of 10 (I'll take that lol)...

It will be interesting to see what this does (if anything) for downloads etc... Will report back in a few days...

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 11:20
So... Its been a little while since I tried the Paid Review from Appszoom, and from what I can tell so far, its been a massive flop lol... It doesn't seem to have generated any additional install at all...

Oh well, was worth a try

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 14:14
Oh dear. I am having good downloads on Amazon more than Google Play at the minute if you haven't thought of that. I nearly left Amazon too but the main downloads are from the US. I am getting roughly 3 to 5 a day and on a good day sometimes 8.
Using Twitter also seems to work as I can see a spike in downloads when I Tweet something.

If you put your apps in the business section post I can stick them to the top like mine and Crazy Programmers. Sometimes people don't look or miss stuff in the showcase section.

Are you on twitter?
You want to set one up, I now have over 1000 followers and it seems to work. Let me know and I can retweet your apps.
Also what about a Facebook page for you apps, do you have one?

Your games are always good though and it's just getting noticed which is hard for us all.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 14:44
Quote: "I am having good downloads on Amazon more than Google Play at the minute if you haven't thought of that"

Some of my older apps (like Happy Chick) are on Amazon, but I didn't have much success so haven't bothered with any newer apps... Maybe I should just do it, it's not like its hard to do lol...

I always submit my apps to SlideMe as they are generally really good. If you haven't submitted to SlideMe, then I'd recommend doing so (providing its a free app. Paid apps are a little more tricky as they don't allow any Google billing etc)...

Quote: "Are you on twitter?"

Yes and no... We did create a Twitter Account a long time ago, but never really used it... I'll see if I can dig it out. The same goes for Facebook.

Quote: "Your games are always good though and it's just getting noticed which is hard for us all"

Thank you I agree, getting noticed is the hardest part. You could make the best game in the world, but if no one knows about it, no one is going to download it lol... Nature of the beast I guess...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 17:42
Downloaded, will rate and review later

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:31:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:31:30