Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Paticle Sandbox

Author
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 13:11 Edited at: 17th Jan 2015 13:11
Just purchased yet another program that doesn't work windows 8. How can TGC still sell stuff that simply has problems or doesn't work.

I want my money back.

I refuse to buy any more products from this company.
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 16:19
I don't know why it doesn't work with you.

better if you try to install it on C drive rather than program files unless you're getting any other error messages.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 16:20
it works with Microsoft 2013 I tried it with windows 8.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 17:41
It's better not to just say "it doesn't work." Provide some details, then you may get a fix.

Is it Windows 8 or 8.1
Is it the program that doesn't work or the code it generates?
What is the error?
Where is it installed?
What is the computer?
Have you tried running in administrator mode?
etc.

Onwards and sometimes upwards
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2015 10:41
That's a little odd, all my TGC products worked on win 8 and win 8.1? Have you tried launching as admin?

cheers
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 11:10
ok probably was over-reacting but here is the screenshot (see attached) of the error I get in Windows 8.1.

Yes, I have tried all the usual "run as admin" etc. I also installed locally e.g. c:/sandbox.

I just think surely as a software developer (I am also a developer of over 30 years and also a professional contract programmer the last 22 years), TGC should be testing all products they sell on every OS and if they don't work actually advertise a warning that they only work on some OS systems.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 12:56
That's probably a DirectX error. Install DX 9.0c

Onwards and sometimes upwards
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 15:58
Quote: "That's probably a DirectX error. Install DX 9.0c"

^ +1

Make sure all your drivers/runtimes etc. are installed correctly.

cheers
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 18:17
I don't think it's DirectX, although it may be DirectX that's making the call

OLE32pro, as the name suggests, is the good old Object Linking and Embedding technology. It sounds like you may have a corrupt DLL file. You could run SFC (from the command line) to see if it agrees with the diagnosis.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2015 12:59
@batvink - thanks I ran the SFC command and repaired corrupt files which worked 100% unfortunately I still get the error. I will have a look at other possible causes.
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 03:13
I remember this issue came up previously. The workaround for windows 8 was to start a search (Windows Key + S) and then you could launch the program. I can't take credit for the workaround as it was figured out by another user. Should be here on the forums somewhere.

Shortly after, Paul came out with a patch that fixed the issue for AppGameKit programs on windows 8. This fixed anything new that was compiled with the patch which got merged into the full version.

I think the problem here is that Particle Editor was released very early on in the life of AppGameKit and was compiled before the Windows 8 issue had been addressed. I remember the Search trick above working for me on windows 8, but now I'm running windows 8.1 and can't get the program to run at all (Yes, I own it as well). No error just disappears even using my described workaround.

I think if the PE could be compiled again with a newest version of AppGameKit v1 the problem could be resolved, but I'm guessing and it would have to be done by the author.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2015 06:31
@kaband - thanks for your response, yes it looks like windows 8.1 is the problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:43:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:43:54