Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Releasing on Steam

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2015 00:04
HI Paul. Ric advised on FB to start a thread here, and I can't see anything else about it, so here goes.

Since AppGameKit itself is on steam, you guys are familiar with the process. Can you maybe give a brief walk through of how to get something on Steam? Also, I'm not sure about AppGameKit itself, but can a windows or mac based AppGameKit program support steam? I mean using steam's own DRM - I assume this requires the program to call the steam DLL in order to confirm it's valid, which I don't think stock AppGameKit programs can do.

Can you offer any light on this?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently worked through the process for one of my apps. Technical matters aside, it starts with you paying a $100 fee to Valve and then filling out the standard Greenlight page for your app. In it you provide a description, screenshots, YouTube video and some additional metadata. You then have to hope that the entry catches on and gets enough 'Yes' votes to actually get greenlit and appear for download through Steam. You'll only be able to proceed with uploading for delivery via Steam if successful, and as I understand it you don't really need to make any serious modifications as any desktop app should be acceptable. But getting greenlit is the real challenge.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 14:33 Edited at: 30th Jan 2015 14:34
Agk does not have support for Steam features but you can still release your game through it.

From what I've heard it's not too hard to get through green light. You just have to spread the word. A lot of crap goes through these days.

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 17:12
If you're using Tier 2 then it's literally one #include file and 3 method calls to support basic Steam features running on PC (Steam overlay, screenshots, music etc).

I struggled getting the Mac project set-up, but that's more to do with my lack of Mac and XCode experience than it being difficult.

You'll spend way more time in Steamworks inputting all the info Valve insist on, creating upload scripts etc etc. than you will adding Steam support to your game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:51:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:51:22