Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Device Physical Size

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 16:48
I'm sure I've seen this before, but I can't track it down.

I'm working on something that involves measuring the accuracy of clicks. IF I use the same virtual dimensions for all dimensions, the 10" tablet owners will have a very distinct advantage over the 4.5" mobile users.

Is there any data in AppGameKit (2) I can use to assess the physical size of the users' device?

I can get the base name and type, but this needs to be accompanied by a very large database of all device brands and sizes available.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 17:16 Edited at: 26th Jan 2015 21:38
Hm

you are right not all devices have the same "physical" size when they have the same resolution.

The problem is that tablet's wich are larger than an smartphone (physical size)but have the same resolution... the tablet owner does have an advantage because you can better aim on it... hm

We don't have access to the physical size of an device ...you can't even read it from the OS... and i don't know a Data base with all devices.

BUT maybe you can measure the devices size via input...
you could ask the user to put two fingers on the device and calc the distance from the multitouch events.
Then you can either assume that the normal distance is ~1 cm and calculate the device size... ( I have to go)

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 17:20
Quote: "you could ask the user to put two fingers on the device and calc the distance from the multitouch events."

Nice idea, this could work for many applications.

But for me, with a global scoreboard, the tablet owners (who have the advantage) can cheat by placing their fingers further apart to "shrink" the perceived size of the screen.

I wonder how much advantage it gave to Flappy Bird players, or that flying Dragon game with the hills?

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:01:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:01:44