Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Kingdom Battle Grounds [AGK2 wip]

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 19:07
after a successful month of coding from the ground up i have managed to put together a voxely type rpg game code together.

I currently put together a nice little proto-type of how the controls are and game play so far.

some feed back would be great as this game is still very early in development.

www.sheldonscreations.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 19:17
Quote: "some feed back would be great as this game is still very early in development."

You forgot to link to the other thread.......

Just got home after my little holiday, will go try it out shortly!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 03:04 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 04:12
Quote: "I currently put together a nice little proto-type of how the controls are and game play so far."

Awesome, and well within the allotted time for NaGaCreMo.

Quote: "some feed back would be great as this game is still very early in development."

I have been wanting to try this bad boy out (glad I caught the thread early), so feedback on the way shortly.

edit
Sweet. Met the king, and slew some elves, but never saw the Princess. just kidding
I got an error because I was missing a directX runtime or something. The game still played, but I had no sound. It was lagging bad too, but I was using a laptop with integrated graphics, so...
I had a hard time getting used to the controls for movement. Found myself wanting to continue spinning left with that W key after I was facing left, and so on. It took me a minute or two to adjust and get the hang of it. Looks like some of your editor content was in the zip as well. I love the team play and the battle controls were pretty good. I made it to the third wave of elves before the lagg defeated me.

Crazy cool concept and design. I would want to explore if it were running faster. I am sure the 3d features for AppGameKit will get up to par with your design soon though, so hang in there and keep setting the bar.

Using AppGameKit V1 Tier 1
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 05:20 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 05:21
Had a playthrough on my PC and it was really awesome and very smooth. Controls felt good, but couldn't figure out how to put up my shield.

I assume you used your voxel editor and animator? Decided to throw you a tool badge, great work! I just got the coolest idea to create a space shooter using these tools.

Now are the static objects calculated voxels during runtime or are they single obj files that have been converted? It'd be cool if the voxel static objects sorta "appeared" when there in range in a Tron Legacy way, where a person or object is "derrezzed", but in reverse, built up voxel-by-voxel.

Just thinking out loud.

Great work, looking forward to seeing more!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 05:31 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 05:32
Quote: " Controls felt good, but couldn't figure out how to put up my shield. "

lol
(right next to attack)

Using AppGameKit V1 Tier 1
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 05:54
I was thinking ctrl or alt. My enter key is backwards L shaped, so which key? Lol

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 13:15
The text on the dialogue boxes is TINY!

That was fun!

I love that you included controller support, when using shield, maybe better to make it point in the direction being pointed instead of rotation? feels a bit awkward

Looking forward to more!

But please fix those dialogues!!!!!! at minimum 12 or 14 font size! 16 is perfect! or 18 or let the user choose ^^

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 14:21
yeah i guess i forgot to mention the controls here...lol

controls:
-joystick if you got one

-awsd to move
-space to jump
-space and downarrowkey (down stab)
-enter is to attack
-space and up arrowkey (up stab)
-['] is to block

-holding ['] and s will block downward

Quote: "when using shield, maybe better to make it point in the direction being pointed instead of rotation? feels a bit awkward
"
this is due to being able to block on pc and ducking at the same time. to duck on pc you press "s" at the same time as ['] so i couldnt do facing direction with aswd

on joystick i can remedy that.

Quote: "But please fix those dialogues!!!!!! at minimum 12 or 14 font size! 16 is perfect! or 18 or let the user choose ^^
"

will do!

Quote: "I assume you used your voxel editor and animator? Decided to throw you a tool badge, great work! I just got the coolest idea to create a space shooter using these tools.
"
thanks... let me update the voxel one as it can now save ago's

Quote: "Now are the static objects calculated voxels during runtime or are they single obj files that have been converted? "

they are single obj files that have been converted. That would be hard on the processor to manage that many litle cubes.

it looks cool though

thanks guys! im continuing on and infact just added animated voxely water

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 02:47
i finaly got some lighting sorta working...

check out this video and it plays back best in full screen.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/kingdom-battle-grounds/videos/lighting-wip

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 22:04
Lol, short but impressive. I like the voxel stuff very much. Keep it up!

I lolled at the conversations.

Regards Sph!nx
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 22:41
Quote: "Lol, short but impressive. I like the voxel stuff very much. Keep it up!

I lolled at the conversations. "

hehe... thanks. Yeah the team battle system is working fairly good. It was released very short as i just started the project for nagacremo2015 and only had january to put it out.

Its going to be a full role playing game....so allot of humor and story to come. This game will take a long time to finish but its the only project im working on now.

I figure i will have an official demo of the game finished by summer which will be the kidnapping of the elfs princess...hehe.

the second portion of the game will be fighting off an invasion of trolls against the castle. I will not give away any more of the story but i have written about 12 chapters of events.

the battle grounds portion of the game will be for multiplayer battles. I dont want to start that yet untill the adventure portion is complete.

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 16:56 Edited at: 10th Feb 2015 16:56
Well, looking forward to see how it will turn out!

Regards Sph!nx
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 17:23
Very cool man. (Why are the prisoners armed? )

Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Mac OS X 10.10
Secondary: Windows 7
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 05:34
its suppose to be part of the training and learning how to fight. So naturally you would want the enemies to have weapons. im sure i could code something to give them the weapons to fight with me but this project is already very big so im going to leave it in as a gag/ humor and continue on with the project..

Im hoping to have some more to showcase soon! lots of progress!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 19:07 Edited at: 11th Apr 2015 08:29
So big update coming soon! 2 things ive done.... converted the game to sidescroll 3d and by doing this have been able to code in multiplayer 4 player split screen running on ouya.

other additions...
i've coded in bombs,they even do damage to the world map...not just your enemies.

i've coded in arrows, your characters are now capable of collecting inventory and shooting arrows which stick into walls...etc.

im hoping to post a very early alpha next week for the ouya with a sandbox map 2-4 players including a showcase video in action!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 08:19 Edited at: 11th Apr 2015 18:11
ok here is a quick peek at the current progress...

now i just need to redo the graphics and code some game modes,sfx...etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSLn8iIGsg

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 10:13
"This video is private", you need to set it to unlisted instead.

cheers
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 18:06
odly....it just wasnt published...oops!

thanks for letting me know!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 18:58
Quote: "So big update coming soon! 2 things ive done.... converted the game to sidescroll 3d and by doing this have been able to code in multiplayer 4 player split screen running on ouya.
"

That is awesome!
This will be bigger fun on a bigger screen.

Quote: "i've coded in bombs,they even do damage to the world map...not just your enemies.

i've coded in arrows, your characters are now capable of collecting inventory and shooting arrows which stick into walls...etc.
"

cool & cooler

I'll keep an eye out for this!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 04:34
This looks great, might have to check EBay for one of these Ouyas as it looks like it might be a nice bit of kit.
Love the gfx style!

Nice work.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 07:05
thanks.... i just got a new voxel artist on the team!

here is the new main characters look! and oh ya! his gun is bad ass!

im actually gunna delay the first release of this to get the graphics spot on....

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 12:54
Very impressive, worth the delay for top notch gfx!

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 07:03 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 07:05
ok here is todays quick 4 player match alpha test with the new character.

looks like i will need to optimize particles as it seems to take a performance hit when several bombs are exploding at the same time. i also tried a second layer for parallax scrolling but the ouya didnt seem to like it on 4 player split so i disabled it for now.

im guessing it had to do with the size of those images and the fact that it renders the scene 4 times per sync.

This weekend is a 4 day weekend for me so i will be doing plenty of coding. Im looking at different multiplayer challanges right now and will be coding those in first before starting on the adventure mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJhEScY6bww

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 22:33 Edited at: 26th Apr 2015 22:39
ok....so i have everything ready for a first release on ouya
game modes coded so far:

-race to the finish [2-4 player match]
-time attack [1 player challenge]
-death match 5 [2 to 4 player]
-death match 10 [2 to 4 player]
-capture the flag [2 to 4 player]

I've also got 3 playable maps ready for all of those modes including 4 selectable characters.

Look for it on the ouya menu hopefully some time this week !

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2015 09:51
Wow, this has come on a lot since I last checked in! Excellent work

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty darn awesome!

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2015 09:10 Edited at: 28th Apr 2015 09:15
Cool! Thanks guys!

So i thought i would post the download first on pc to gauge some feed back before going live on ouya.

requirements:
-1 to 4 gamepads and i recomend (f310 from logitech with the switch on the back selected as [x] and not [d]

-m4a codec for music playback.

thats it.

currently you cannot change the button layout but eventually i will get to that part.

hints: stuck in a hole? try wall jumping! Jump into a wall while still holding that direction...as soon as your character just begins to drop... press the opposite direction and jump at the same time. It is possible to climb very high!

A few other things:
-i am aware of minor collision glitches such as blocks going through blocks...etc. Im more after serious issues like crashes, hangups.... playability problems...etc
hopefully you have a few people handy for testing it properly.

Attachments

PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 16:06
Quote: "So big update coming soon! 2 things ive done.... converted the game to sidescroll 3d and by doing this have been able to code in multiplayer 4 player split screen running on ouya.
"

I've just played your first demo of KBG and in my opinion, I liked the perspective of that demo. I liked what you had going there. The demo seemed alive and rich from the top-downish 3d angle.

Wish you could make the game in that perspective.

But hey, I did enjoy the demo! I enjoyed the recruitment of the other knights to slay the skeleton guys and the elves. It felt like I had a gang to back me up

Keep up the good work.

I got the power...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2015 21:44 Edited at: 25th May 2015 21:47
humm... maybe this would be a great idea... what if i mixed the view modes through out the game. some areas are displayed overhead and others sidescroll.

its an idea... the only reason i went side view was for the multiplayer part. but maybe i can manage to put the overhead view to work for multiplayer also.

i will do some testing and see what i come up with.

thanks for the feedback.

edit: maybe i should just go 3rd view perspective... which would even be better than the other 2. again i will play around with some stuff and see what i come up with.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2015 22:52
Gotta hand it to you, probably the best and most accomplished thing I've seen with AGK. I tried doing a voxel engine with DBPro, minecraft style - got it working but it was sooooo slow.

Only thing I'd say is, no matter how much I held my shield up I always seemed to get hit???
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 02:16
Quote: "Only thing I'd say is, no matter how much I held my shield up I always seemed to get hit??? "

yeah it was coded to still take damage blocking... just not very much damage.

im gunna try 1 more perspective with this to see if it improves visuals... then i will continue coden the game with the chosen perspective if its sidescroll,overhead, or 3rd person camera.

whichever feels better during game play.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2015 14:03
Ah I see, that explains it. Well I'm a fickle gamer, but I really liked the initial isometric perspective..... I wouldn't play the sideways on version and if they were mixed I'm not sure the styles would gel. It would however be cool to leave the sideways on perspective as a separate multiplayer battle mode.... Major plus point in terms of downloads I would think.
PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2015 00:38 Edited at: 31st May 2015 19:44
Quote: " maybe i should just go 3rd view perspective... which would even be better than the other 2. again i will play around with some stuff and see what i come up with."

AWESOME! Hopefully it turns out pretty well from that perspective for single and multiplayer mode.

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!

Maybe you can add in some code that can allow the player to be able to switch the camera perspective at the punch of a keyboard button.

That way, the player can choose what perspective he/she wants to play the game from.

Sounds like a good idea if you think so.

I got the power...
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2015 06:53
Been awhile since I tried this out, and it has come a long way.
I am looking forward to having a go at it on OUYA.
The multiplayer stuff is looking great.
I like the first perspective too, but it's all good.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2015 03:49 Edited at: 5th Jun 2015 03:59
I've done some tests to see if i could build models on the fly with agk... and it looks like its been successful!

the top down view max tiles i could draw was 243 at a time... and could have 20 characters animated running around.

the side view gave simular results...but with 40 characters running around at once.

now the new perspective (3rd view or first person view) with my new build the models on the fly suprizingly hit 65536 tiles and 100 animated characters running around the screen at once with a solid frame rate.

The trick involves how the objects are drawn. The true object count is actually 128 total... inside each object consists of 512 objects built into the same one showing off a stunning 65536 tiled objects potentialy if your map was a big cube.

now the game engine is getting rebuilt as of now using this new tiling system! it should be really good with great distance view!

I may need to change this game to be more of a strategy based....simular to AOE(age of empires) type of battle system...
but we will see once i get a tad further.
in this picture a single cube would represent the size of your playable character...
look at this picture--------------------------------->
the view distance is huge!!!

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 08:56 Edited at: 9th Jun 2015 09:06
ok here is an early shot of a 3rd perspective camera..

this scene is built on the fly... as you can see the render distance is very good!

something new is the edge uv calculation i built in... im going to add this to the models aswell making solid colors with edge lines showing only.

PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 16:49
Quote: "ok here is an early shot of a 3rd perspective camera..
"

YESSS! Im glad to see that your working around with a 3rd p.o.v. camera angle. Nicely done!!!

Quote: "this scene is built on the fly... as you can see the render distance is very good!
"
I do agree. The render distance is very very very good.

Note to SoftMotion 3D: Im so glad that I started watching all your applications from Ice Brawlers all the way up to now. Dedicated watcher.

I got the power...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 01:38
Quote: "Note to SoftMotion 3D: Im so glad that I started watching all your applications from Ice Brawlers all the way up to now. Dedicated watcher. "

oh wow! Thanks!

My voxel editor is about to get another update using this new texturing method i just coded for this game.

I think this project soo far is my best work so im going to keep working hard at it.

PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 19:11
Quote: "oh wow! Thanks!"

Anytime! I like your style of games. That's why I'm pumped for this game.

Quote: "I think this project soo far is my best work so im going to keep working hard at it.
"

I'm so glad that your motivated to continue to work at this game. It would make me and plenty of others sad if this game was scrapped.

I got the power...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 03:56 Edited at: 16th Jun 2015 03:57
ok so the new perspective is looking great in this new map editor i built.

check it out!

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 22:18
Very impressive!

Like how this is nice and smooth, you could make a great Mario 64 game with this

How did you make the main character Sprite?

My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 21:13
This is looking really good, definitely prefer the 3rd person view. I'm going to download it later and have a go (currently in the launderette).

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 21:38 Edited at: 17th Jun 2015 21:41
The first download is overhead view with some actual battle, the second download is multiplayer only and was a sidescroll attempt.

The new game engine is being worked on and i should have ai coded back in soon..

As for the sprite making question... None of my examples use sprites except the one using render to image for split screen. I made the 3d characters with my own voxel editor and i assembled and animated my 3d character using my agk_sm3d editor built with agk.

The animation code works very smoothly and plan to continue using it even when tgc releases 3danimation since my code is more flexible. ( for me) easier to transition from one animation to another....

PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2015 16:55
Nice Work SoftMotion3D. Im very impressed.

Quote: "As for the sprite making question... None of my examples use sprites except the one using render to image for split screen. I made the 3d characters with my own voxel editor and i assembled and animated my 3d character using my agk_sm3d editor built with agk.
"

Haha! Independent applications for your own 3d models.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 20:12 Edited at: 20th Jun 2015 20:28
finaly the work is done on the voxel editor....

the characters will now be drawn and look like this... (outlines edge colors, and edges only!)

weapons...etc

this is not the work of a shader but the way the uv texture alignment is saved with the 3d model

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 21:58
ok....holly cow! this looks way better!

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 13:04
Looks fantastic!

My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 19:24
This looks amazing, SoftMotion3D! Glad to see how devoted you are to the project!

I will definitely be trying this out soon! I can't wait!

Official Forum President from June 20th, 2015 - June 20th, 2016 (when my successor is elected, whomever that may be!).
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2015 08:57 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2015 09:01
i almost got the ai coded back in.

i just have the follow and attack code left and it will be playable once again but with the new 3d perspective.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 07:57 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 08:35
ok...good news!

ai_code is now running !
i can now have multiple teams fighting eachother again. So this week i will put a nice little video showcasing different types of ai. Early stress tests show i can run 50 characters animated on pc at once on any team. I will most likely limit this so i have more time to process other things.

[types: ]

neutral stance till provoked, teams, team following player 1, and a type that cannot take damage.. (npc's) however an npc can be coded to quickly change ai stance with you :p

edit: a quick video (once its uploaded)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:32:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:32:13