Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [RELEASED] 100 Blocks - Platform Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:53 Edited at: 13th Apr 2015 11:15
50 Blocks, 20 Levels, how hard can it be?

Now available on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.blocksplatformgame

And iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/50-blocks-platform-game/id979575845?ls=1&mt=8

This is my latest wip and will be my 10th game developed with AppGameKit The game is called '50 Blocks - Platform Game'. The idea being that you start with 50 blocks and you have to complete all the levels. If all blocks are lost, then you must restart from the beginning... If you succesfully complete all the levels, you can submit your score to the global leaderboard, your score being your remaining blocks...

I've opted for 20 levels as I am really struggling to come up with unique ideas. You may find that a lot of the current levels are a little samey... As much as I would love to revist these, I really don't think I have the stomach for any more level design - not something I particularly enjoy, or am very good at Any suggestions would be truely appreciated...

For those familiar with my previous apps (Double Jump! and Double Lane!), you'll notice a trend I have going here The graphics are all the same, again, not something I am particularly good at

The sequence of levels are currently in the order I designed them, and not in order of difficulty. I may actually keep it like this, as I like the fact that you do not know how difficult the following levels will be. Level 10 for example, may be alot simpler than level 5...

Anyway, here are a few screenshots, I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions...

When I get around to it, I'll post a video...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:54 Edited at: 25th Mar 2015 11:26
Screenshot Removed

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:54
Screenshot2

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:54
Screenshot3

Attachments

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:55
Screenshot4

Attachments

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 00:06
Surely games this difficult are against the Geneva convention or something?

I downloaded this a while ago, got stuck on the second level just thought "to Pluto with this" and did something else. What annoyed me about the second level is that when the player is on the platform they lose all sideways movement when the jump up, which didn't feel right.

I've picked it up again, I really like the style of it, and I managed to get to level five and I thought some of the level designs were quite good but also quite difficult.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 01:30
I have only just noticed this post and have got to say it is really good work.

It is a super hard game but great, I got to level 9.
I had 19 blocks left when I got onto level 9 as I lost a lot of lives on level 7
I really thought I had level 9 in the bag timing wise when I lost my last block lol

I like the style, they might just be blocks but the physics is spot on for jump and movement speed.

I can't see anyone finishing it so I think 25 levels will be enough, although once everyone starts the high score challenge as usual you never know haha.

Level 8 stumped me at first when my block went off screen on the right on the 1st floor and I was wondering where it had gone for a few seconds before it came down from the top and I realised I had lost a block. Maybe a red wall there would let you know you die if you go past there as I thought at first I would come off the other side of the screen. It might even be better doing that falling down from the other side of the screen and having to start again but without loss of a life? So you go off screen and come back on on the left and fall down, that would be frustrating and add to the game. Not sure.

I really like how you have done the first level which shows you what to do, good idea.

Well done and can't wait for it to be published for the high score challenges

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 03:13 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 04:10
Quote: "I've opted for 25 levels (although I currently only have 22) as I am really struggling to come up with unique ideas. You may find that a lot of the current levels are a little samey... As much as I would love to revist these, I really don't think I have the stomach for any more level design - not something I particularly enjoy, or am very good at Any suggestions would be truely appreciated..."

OH BOY!
How did I miss this?
Downloading now for suggestions later.

Quote: " If you successfully complete all the levels, you can submit your score to the global leaderboard, your score being your remaining blocks...
"

OH BOY!
How did I miss this?

Quote: "I can't see anyone finishing it so I think 25 levels will be enough, although once everyone starts the high score challenge as usual you never know haha."

Muhahahahaha

EDIT
WOW! This game is awesome!
I did fine until I got to level 4 and it gave me a fit.
I lost too many lives there and ended up getting wiped out on level 6.
Not too bad for a first try considering the difficulty level of this game.
I have not gone far yet, but from what I have seen, IMO...

It has a beautiful balance between hurry up and wait, so it is fast paced but also an exercise of patience to time things right.
This game is going to be addictive to many and I can see some people getting frustrated to the point of smashing their device in anger.
Therefore, my advice to users is to use an old device for this game until you get the hang of the controls.
And remember, pressing the screen harder will NOT make the block jump higher!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 10:06
Quote: "I lost too many lives there and ended up getting wiped out on level 6"

I might stand a chance at this score challenge as I top the unofficial leaderboard at level 9 then haha!

Quote: "And remember, pressing the screen harder will NOT make the block jump higher!"

At least I know its not just me that was nearly putting my finger through the tablet whilst tapping

@Funnell7, you got to get this complete and up on the store as challenge on!!
On a serious note though this app is great and you are onto a winner here, well done!

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 12:34
Wow, I didn't expect this response I like to run my ideas past you guys as your feedback is always honest and very constuctive, and as I didn't initially hear anything I kinda took that as an indication that perhaps this was one to forget about...

Thank you so much for the comments, your approval means I will definitely get cracking with this one. It's about 99% complete anyway so should be able to load it in a couple days or so...

One thing I really stuggle with is Level Design, the reason I dropped it from '100 Blocks' to '50 Blocks' (if a mod sees this, I'd appreciate it if you could change the thread title) was simply because I couldn't think of any more levels Feel free to put some suggestions forward if you have any, I'd be eternaly grateful

Quote: "I downloaded this a while ago, got stuck on the second level just thought "to Pluto with this" and did something else."

Lol, I know what you mean, there were days when I really needed to test a few levels, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, as it was driving me crazy

Quote: "when the player is on the platform they lose all sideways movement when the jump up, which didn't feel right"

I agree, this does kinda feel strange, its like the block loses all momentum. I'm not sure what I can do about that... I'll have a think.

Quote: "It is a super hard game but great, I got to level 9."

Good skills... Besides myself (and of course you guys), no one else has played this, and seeing as I've played it like a million times, I can actually get through all the levels with about 10 lives left. So its good to know its not as easy as I thought.

Quote: "I like the style, they might just be blocks but the physics is spot on for jump and movement speed."

Quote: "WOW! This game is awesome!"

Thank you, I appreciate it

Quote: "And remember, pressing the screen harder will NOT make the block jump higher!"

Lol lol lol, that really made me chuckle

Quote: "@Funnell7, you got to get this complete and up on the store as challenge on!!
On a serious note though this app is great and you are onto a winner here, well done!"

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the comments, this has definitely given me the buzz to get this one finished.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 13:31
Quote: "I dropped it from '100 Blocks' to '50 Blocks' "

Seriously? It wasn't hard enough?

I think level 4 and 7 are too hard.
Not sure about other levels, but I do fine until those then I lose like 50 lives on each.
I am afraid a lot of people are going to play only a couple or few times then give up, because they will want a good challenge not an impossible one.
I know you like your games to be difficult, but this one may be a bit extreme.
The controls are so tight that sometimes I hit the button once and it jumps twice like double jump.
That is the only reason I don't play that game, I cannot get the hang of those jumps.
Anyway, those levels offer no room for any error, so over sensitive controls make it nearly impossible.
The rest of it was fun to play, frustrating but fun, but level 4 and 7 seem ridiculously difficult.
They took the fun out of it for me in only the second try. (because losing 100 lives on one level seemed like playing it 20 times)

Anyway, not trying to bash it or anything, just saying that the too difficult factor might kill an otherwise promising game.
I doubt if the average gamer can make it through level 25 with a thousand lives per game.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 13:31 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 13:42
Quote: "as I didn't initially hear anything I kinda took that as an indication that perhaps this was one to forget about..."

Just totally missed the post, great game!

Quote: "I dropped it from '100 Blocks' to '50 Blocks'"

Super hard but if you can finish the game then 50 will add to the challenge.

Quote: "this has definitely given me the buzz to get this one finished.
"

Great can't wait to download
Don't forget to put a tweet out with it and attach a video clip of it in action as it seems to get noticed better on twitter and this game will really do well for downloads as you are on to a winner with this I think!
Look for me on twitter @leapappsuk and will retweet etc for you.
I have noticed my downloads spiking on the days when I put a tweet out.

[EDIT]
Quote: "I think level 4 and 7 are too hard."

Level 7 was really hard but not impossible, I might stand a chance with this game at the callenge haha

Quote: "Seriously? It wasn't hard enough?
"

I think 100 to 50 will be super hard and challenging, however if you think about double lane, after playing for a while a good score can be achieved, just not by me lol.
Maybe should play this a bit more to see if it gets any easier after time before making the decision to change 100 to 50.
You could have 2 level settings, calling the game 100 blocks and if you finish the game you unlock level 2 option and try to complete the game again but with 50 blocks?

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:45 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 21:51
Well second attempt got to level 10 with 52 lives left and then lost them all lol.

Great game though.

I think you should think about still having 100 blocks for normal mode and then unlock insane mode when complete with 50 blocks

Also thinking of score system it may be better to have what level you got to instead of how many blocks at the end because I really can't see many people finishing it haha so there will be nothing on the score board for a while.
The scores could have normal and level you got to and then insane and level got to. So insane would be higher than normal.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 12:22 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 12:24
Quote: "Seriously? It wasn't hard enough?"

Ah yes, I've just realised that the attached apk is actually quite an old version. I have since changed it to 50 blocks, but only 20 levels. I really wish I could stick with 100 blocks (because then it taps into the likes of 100 balls etc), but in order to have 100 blocks I think I'd need more like 30+ levels, and I'm really really stumped with level ideas...

Quote: "I think level 4 and 7 are too hard. "

I find judging difficulty really difficult (see what I did there ), because for me, level 4 is really simple, I can complete it without losing a single block. Level 7 is actually a little easier in the new version ...

Quote: "I think you should think about still having 100 blocks for normal mode and then unlock insane mode when complete with 50 blocks"

I had thought about this too, but then I figured that by having 100 blocks to start with and completing the game with +50 blocks, would be the same thing... Anywho, its now 50 blocks Due to lack of level imagination

Thanks again for all the comments I think I might just put it out there and test the waters, I'll soon know if any changes/improvements are needed...

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 11:22
Maybe a bit rushed on my part (I get too excited nearing the end of a project lol), but 50 Blocks - Platform Game has now been released on Google Play...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.blocksplatformgame

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 13:21
GREAT!!

Been waiting for this one

Just rated it from both my phone and tablet for you and also +1 it.

No just got to make sure don't throw my phone at wall in frustration lol.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 13:34
Quote: "Just rated it from both my phone and tablet for you and also +1 it."

Thank you very much I appreciate it...

Quote: "No just got to make sure don't throw my phone at wall in frustration lol."

Lol I might need to put a disclaimer in my description haha...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 14:03
Quote: "Lol I might need to put a disclaimer in my description haha..."

Bill for Moto G on the way before you do haha

I think now you were right to do the 50 blocks though, I know I have had some practice on the pre-release version but managed to get to level 11 stair case on my phone. Believe it or not I think it is just slightly easier on the smaller screen. Can't get that far on the tablet.

When you search 50 blocks on Google Play it comes in at 47, would have been spooky if it was 50 lol.

One thing though it might be worth thinking about score system to maybe put level finished on instead of blocks left at the end?
See how long it takes for someone to finish as the scores could be empty for a while and no goal to go for at the minute for competition because don't know where other players finished.

As mentioned before level 1 is a very clever idea, playable instructions. Great work as always.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 14:35 Edited at: 25th Mar 2015 15:14
Quote: "One thing though it might be worth thinking about score system to maybe put level finished on instead of blocks left at the end?"

Yeah I agree, I should probably think about this a bit more... I could potentially have 2 scoreboards, 1 for lives left after completion, and 1 for furthest level complete hmmm... You got me thinking lol...

Something else I need to take a look at, is the physics shape for the block. Not sure if you've noticed, but when moving left or right, occasionally the block jumps slightly. This is because the edge of the block is catching the ground tiles...

Thanks for the comments spectrepaul

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 15:51
Quote: "Yeah I agree, I should probably think about this a bit more... I could potentially have 2 scoreboards, 1 for lives left after completion, and 1 for furthest level complete hmmm... You got me thinking lol..."

Thats a good idea if you can do that, sorry for making more work lol

Quote: "Something else I need to take a look at, is the physics shape for the block. Not sure if you've noticed, but when moving left or right, occasionally the block jumps slightly. This is because the edge of the block is catching the ground tiles..."

I did notice that but to be honest I thought it was me hitting the jump slightly in the excitement

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 11:13 Edited at: 13th Apr 2015 11:14
Just a small update to say '50 Blocks - Platform Game' is now available on iOS First day I got 91 downloads, not a bad start Still no one on the leaderboard though lol...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/50-blocks-platform-game/id979575845?ls=1&mt=8

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 16:47
Hey well done that's a great start!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 19:10
I don't read the PMs, just seen the request to change the title.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 23:12
Top of the leader board!!!

Only one on the leader board...

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2015 13:28
Quote: "I don't read the PMs, just seen the request to change the title. "

Lol, its all good, but you haven't actually changed it . Could I trouble you to update it to '[RELEASED] 50 Blocks - Platform Game'. Thank you!

Quote: "Top of the leader board!!!"

Wow! I never thought I'd see the day! And with 25 Blocks left, that is impressive Good skills... Maybe I should make it harder? Just kidding...

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 12:34
Whoops! I submitted an update to 50 Blocks to change the graphics to my new style and I have a debug mode which allows me to control the game with the keyboard (which in turn disables touch). In my haste to get it updated, I forget to turn off this mode! lol... Fortunately, a very helpful user sent me an email and I have immediately fixed it...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 19:50
Quote: "Top of the leader board!!!"

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

lol, I thought I might have been the first to get there, have been playing this game like mad lately but still can't get past the stair case level yet!

Well done 29!

Quote: "Whoops!"

spotted that before and was just going to let you know about it by the way the new colour scheme etc is much better, big improvement!

My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 21:21
It turned out to be my proudest moment of the week and will probably be the greatest achievement of the month (either this or binge watching the first three seasons of parks and recreation twice in two weeks).

I take it you're stuck on level 11, that was a difficult one but k think level 12 is more difficult. It made me cry a little.

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:49:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:49:45