Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 12:49 Edited at: 18th Feb 2015 12:51
This is a re-vamp of SpriteFX to make it easier to use and to export in "Spine" format (only) so the characters can be loaded using the AppGameKit built in Skeleton commands.

So far I have:
Atlas image and text file creation (repeated images use one image as with Spine export)
JSON text file creation for bones, slots, attachments and the default skin (no animation data yet).

Bone creation is simplified (compared to Spine) so you can just draw a bone, add an image to it and then start rotating / moving bones and attached images.

Next steps:
Load from export (so characters created can be saved and loaded)
Get animation working in the editor
Export animation data

What this is NOT:
A replacement for Spine. I intend this to have only a very basic amount of options to give people a taste of what they could achieve with Spine. No scaling/editing of attachments, IK, mesh deformation or any of the really cool stuff you get with Spine.

What this IS:
A simple tool for creating basic animated characters that can be loaded by AGK. I'm keeping it free as a)A demo of what the commands can be used for in AppGameKit and b)A FREE tool to create simple characters for use in AGK.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 12:56 Edited at: 18th Feb 2015 12:57
Here is some example output (the JSON is the only incomplete part at this time)

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 13:36
Baxslash,

this looks really good and useful, I have not downloaded yet as am trying to finish my current project but plan to try a lot of these tools etc after, in order to get the most I can from AppGameKit on my next project.
Might even have a go at a platform game

Have you thought of creating a short video tutorial to go with it?
As mentioned though I have not tried it yet and maybe it is easy to use.

Look forward to having a bash at this soon.

Cheers.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 13:51
@spectrepaul, there's no demo just yet as I'm still working on the output and animation side. I will add a demo once I have the basic tool working as right now it's not much use to anyone. I still have to add some context help for new users too.

Currently it's fairly stable with only a few minor bugs. Once I've fixed the remaining bugs I will add animation in (which is the rather complicated part). Luckily I have done this before, I just want to do it better this time so the emphasis is on simplicity and ease of use.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 15:12
By the time it is fully up and running, hopefully I will have finished my project and will be ready to use it

Looking forward to having a go at this as it looks interesting.
I could imagine the animation side being quite complex, great work.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 04:20
Quote: "This is a re-vamp of SpriteFX to make it easier to use and to export in "Spine" format (only) so the characters can be loaded using the AppGameKit built in Skeleton commands."

Uber cool dude.

Quote: "Here is some example output (the JSON is the only incomplete part at this time)"

Interesting.
Quote: "Looking forward to having a go at this as it looks interesting."

Very interesting.

Quote: "...the emphasis is on simplicity and ease of use."

Awesome!
I will keep an eye out for this for sure.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 12:21 Edited at: 19th Feb 2015 12:21
Here's the start of the animation user interface. Not much working on this yet but it loads the animation name and bones into the dopesheet. Next I'll be making it possible to expand each bone to show rotate/transform keyframes individually and adding ability to change the current frame using the top slider. I also need to get the vertical scrollbar working/adjusting to the dopesheet expanding / contracting.

After that it's only a hop, skip and jump to getting keyframes adding when the user makes a change but quite a way from complete even then...

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 17:19
This looks awesome and can't wait to try it out. Looks simplistic, just how I like it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2015 09:22
The dopesheet is heavily based on the Spine interface so the transition to using Spine shouldn't be too hard. If you fancy making me some new buttons / logo for this I'd be much obliged Josh?

We still have a lot to do on the other project and this one's a way off yet though so no rush

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2015 17:25 Edited at: 20th Feb 2015 17:28
I now have the dopesheet expanding/contracting for individual bones and the scroll bar works nicely. Also the animation "Length" shows in green on the dopesheet.

Next I'll start auto-adding keyframes when the user makes a change to the character pose. Then I'll start lerping between keyframes when the user moves the current frame arrow across the animation.

This is going well and might be finished quicker than I'd hoped!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:43