Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Programming Talk / HTML - Offline browser - save to local disk.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 18:07
I dabble in coins and have a coin related site, which is basically a coin browser. You can look up any U.S coin and see information and images on it. What my users tell me they would like is a simple, portable checklist. It doesn't need to have much info, basically a checklist with a checkbox and perhaps grade and cost.

While some of my users are strictly PC (and I already have a windows APP) many are phone and tablet users of varying platform and language. I'm thinking that a browser based app would solve my problem of compatibility and knowing nothing of android and apple apps. If I could accomplish this feat offline, that would save me the headaches of building a tenanted database app and forcing users to both be online and have an account.

I've been looking into HTML5 and it does appear to allow for offline (local) file saving, but from what I'm reading, the storage isn't permanent... more of a cache based thing.

So... to the question. Is there a simple way to save either a webpage as a webpage or the page's form data without going through the operating system? Using File/Save as... would not be cross platform.

Any other ideas to do what I want?

Thanks.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 14:35 Edited at: 6th Apr 2015 14:43
So far I have been able to determine that HTML5 using local storage is persistant and will do what I need, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it and jQuery. I'll post back when I know better.
If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 08:25
jQuery / javascript is pretty broad. Is there something more specific you need help / explanation on?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 22:49
Thanks Ortu,

I have it working now. I needed jQuery-JSON to stringify my checkbox values for saving and displaying to and from local storage. Just another thing I wasn't familiar with.... yet. I've recently learned a lot of new CSS as well. Boy, if you get away from this stuff for a few years it's like coming back to a different country.

Brian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:28:53