Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Overlap 2D / LibGDX particle code [Tier 1]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 14:00 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 14:32
I decided to stop hijacking the thread by AppStar in the main forum for this project.

Overlap 2D is a 'placement editor' which turns out to be a lot of fun to use and potentially useful for AppGameKit so I started making some import code for the output from Overlap 2D. This includes a LibGdx Particle system importer which I'm half way through.

Overlap 2D in action:

I'll also be adding a shader for the 2D lighting system shown here. Whether or not I include a physics based lighting system relies on how well I can make it run in AGK.

So far the default scene is looking like this:

...it should look like this when done I have everything loading correctly:

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 14:38
** Adding MailBack **

This looks like a project worth watching

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 14:43
Tagging in

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 15:46
Coming back into the thread

This is great work and very exciting, I am going to have a mess with the editor when I get chance to see how easy it is to use but it does look quite impressive from the video.

This would be an awesome tool if you can get the particle and lighting system working.

Well done so far

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 17:15
Following this thread now, looking great so far. Would make a powerful addition to AppGameKit!
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2015 17:58
*Following*

cheers
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 21:54 Edited at: 11th Apr 2015 21:58
Oh wow... this is a very difficult set of data to work with... already the particle system is nearly as big as the editor. I'm beginning to think I might create my own particle system and editor. So sick of some of the stupidity in this system already. Also I'm a little worried that the editor is not being worked on any more. Feeling disheartened. I could make a much better particle system and a nice simple drag&drop editor especially for AGK.

What do you guys think? I could:
A-Finish this importer and have a slow clunky particle system & potentially full of bugs importer or...
B-Use the editor I started for my skeleton editor and create a new AppGameKit editor / particle system which should be much more stable and run faster.

The main downside of A is it could be a LONG time before I have something fully functioning and that the output is highly counter-intuitive.

The only downside of B would be an editor with slightly less functionality. If it's useful though I'll keep adding functionality as I or others need it though. I am convinced the particle system could be MUCH better than the LibGDX one.

Also I quite relish the idea of making a particle editor that runs on any platform, not just an antique version of Java!

Opinions?

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 22:30
Hi Baxslash

If you feel so disheartened(never a good thing lol) then maybe work on your own editor. I also have been wondering if the editor is still being worked on.

Do I take it you have a placement editor already?
If so it might be easier to work with your own code and just add the functionality as you go.

Speed of running is always a good thing.
Also you as you relish the idea it's much better than being disheartened

Would you add shaders to your editor as that would be great!

At the end of the day it's your choice and I would be pleased to support what ever your decision you make as your work to help others has always been fantastic!

It would be great to see a really good editor for AGK.

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 22:55
The more i think about it the more convinced i am... yes i am thinking shaders, particles, physics / shape editing and maybe even a built in character editor...

Ok this thread can die now. New dawn ahead...

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 23:03
Well I can't wait for your editor sounds great!!

To the new dawn..........

Good luck with it
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 02:17 Edited at: 12th Apr 2015 02:22
Quote: "B-Use the editor I started for my skeleton editor and create a new AppGameKit editor / particle system which should be much more stable and run faster."

yeah B

Quote: "The more i think about it the more convinced i am... yes i am thinking shaders, particles, physics / shape editing and maybe even a built in character editor.
"

New Dawn
Awesome!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 14:42
UPDATE:
I'm working on my Particle Editor "Pax Editor" using an AppGameKit V2 window embedded in a Windows Forms C# application. Took some fiddling but I finally got it working. This makes tool creation much easier for me as a Windows Forms developer. Now I can make a professional looking particle system editor for my new particle system "Pax" and have a proper WYSIWYG editor!

Communication between the two apps is going to be tricky but I'll come up with something. The main point is I can now set the AppGameKit app into an adjustable size panel and AppGameKit detects when the panel size changes so I can resize the virtual resolution to keep things looking sweet.

I'm building the editor so I can properly test as I build the particle system as well as have a fully functional editor/designer by the time the particle system is working.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 17:43
Quote: "I'm working on my Particle Editor "Pax Editor" using an AppGameKit V2 window embedded in a Windows Forms C# application"

This is great news. I know you are doing a lot already but would you be able to share what steps are required to be able to use windows forms with AppGameKit? If you get time

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 17:59
Sure, it's not terribly complicated to get an AppGameKit app running in a panel. The hard part is communicating between the app and the AppGameKit code. If anyone has any clever ideas I'll give them a try next time I work on this

Currently I'm considering writing to a local text file that the AppGameKit app picks up and then deletes after reading and the same for communicating back. It's easy enough to find the current write folder for the AppGameKit app so this could work quite well but might cause a slight delay when doing certain actions. I can still get pointer data from the AppGameKit window when it's embedded so most actions like dragging sprites around can still be handled from within the Tier 1 code.

I'll write a short tutorial for anyone interested at some point though Matty, and if I'm dragging my heels give me a shout (if you're planning on making some tools)

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 18:06 Edited at: 13th Apr 2015 18:07
Combining C# forms with AppGameKit is something that Batvink and I have been discussing. If you could shed some light on your solution that would be very welcome!

As for the intercommunication, Batvink has done something similar in the past using DBP and C# but for that he used IanM's shared memory DLLs. Since they are not available for AppGameKit and indeed no plugin support is available, then I think your best solution my well be the text file option. Not perfect by a long chalk but it would work.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 19:37
I have some basic communication working that way already. I'll post a simple example ASAP.

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 21:07
Didn't know you could run AppGameKit in a C# panel, interesting would be good to see how that works. Just as point of interest can it be done using Visual Basic instead of C#?? Is the process the same?

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 21:11
Yes you could use VB.Net. I just googled embedding an application in a windows form panel. Found the answer pretty fast.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 21:33 Edited at: 13th Apr 2015 21:46
I didn\'t know that you where reconstructing this baxslash. You might have to make your own gui system, because mfc does not really work with agk that well either. Of course I made agk work with mfc pop up dialogs which are not very helpful.

The only thing that is worth exploring in mfc is the menu design which I have successfully connected with agk numerous times. Other than that I think that mfc is not a good option because it lakes in interface dialogs.

Create something that can use gui elements in the interface. Matty no one want mfc dialogs pop up dialogs in the interface. I created my sprite and tile editor that basically went no where because I tired to do animations as well, or skeleton animation which was screwing up my editor. I made a simplified version of the program itself and just made it import and export tiled, which I use know.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 22:11
Well i am using windows forms and AppGameKit together already using tier 1 so i don't need to use mfc or my own gui. It's working now...

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 22:13
Well done baxslash!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 23:15 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 00:43
Here's the basic code for putting the AppGameKit window into a panel in C#:

Here's how I'm handling a resize event on the panel:

Here's what I use in AppGameKit to initialise the display settings:

Here is the AppGameKit code to update the window:

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you kill the Agk process if the form is closed.

That's enough to get an AppGameKit app into a panel, I'm still working on communication but text files seem to be working nicely now.

Any questions please ask!

EDIT: Here's a quick screenshot of my editor so far:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 01:58
Thanks baxslash. I will try it out this week. Do you use Visual Studio?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 02:07 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 02:08
Yes, for this I'm using VS2010.

EDIT: Slight update to the GUI

Attachments

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 03:40 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 04:25
looks like dialogs work better in c# rather then c++. I look at this too looks like it has great potential because you use C#. I going to try c# as well looks better then c++ for gui elements.

Well I am not sure how you start c# with agk so I guess I leave it in your hands. I really don't have time to mess with trying to get C# to work with agk hope you can give us insight on a small sample program that can do that.

I don't know if C# is the answer though because if you built your own gui, Then you would not have to deal with a lot of the hassle of c#. One being making dialog buttons graphical instead of just a button.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 09:15 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 09:17
Using winforms in visual studio is relatively easy for sure as you can drag/drop your gui elements in and the panel I'm dropping the AppGameKit window onto is just another drag/drop element (I also experimented with using SplitContainers which worked just as easily). As a C++ developer you might find C# a little simpler to learn than you think as it is just a managed higher level language. The syntax is a little different but I'm pretty sure you could pick it up quickly and if you already use VS then it'll be even easier to pick up. This is not the ideal way to create a ui for AppGameKit as I am embedding a Tier 1 project and need to communicate between the parent app and the embedded one using text files. Ideally a C++ developer might find a better method of communication between the 2 apps such as building the AppGameKit window as a dll and embedding the dll in the C# app. This might not be possible but it might open up better ways of communicating by thinking along these lines?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 17:19 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 17:43

Most of the controls shown here are working now. I have a solid line of communication between the app and the embedded AppGameKit window. Just need to keep adding features to the particle system as I go.

Proposed features:
-Emitter sets will be able to have as many individual emitters as you like
-Particles will have a lot of settings including some built in 'clever' features such as 'Movement' which will include Linear, Sinus and Random for velocity and direction so you can create some interesting effects with very little effort.
-Multiple sprite shaders for different effects such as additive / subtractive and I aim to make some more interesting particle shaders such as pixelate / burn
-Multiple emitter shapes including "Point", "Line", "Rectangle" and Radius
-Emitters can be continuous like smoke emitters or fire and forget like explosions
-Particle depth can be set to a min/max value either side of the depth selected for the emitter. This allows you to create dust-mites that are in front and behind scenery items (for example) and set the depth of each emitter so you can place smoke behind explosions etc.
-Give particle systems physics settings so they interact with your scene!

...somebody stop me before I go too far!!!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 12:28
Now working alpha modes:
-None (not transparent)
-Constant (Random between Min/Max)
-Linear (Start -> End relative to Random Min/Max)
-Sinus (smooth transition between Start -> End relative to Random Min/Max)
-Flicker (Random flicker between Min/Max)

Now working emitter shapes:
-Point (all particles created at this point)
-Radius (all particles created randomly within a radius of a point)

Next:
Colour settings for particles
Emitter shapes - Line & Rectangle
Movement - None, Aimless, Jitter

Can't wait to share this tool! It's going to make creating and sharing particle systems much easier. I intend to have a simple export file including an option to include media in the export / import file. This means you can share full particle systems which can be re-imported into the editor too...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 14:26
This project is turning into something special!

Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 15:16 Edited at: 15th Apr 2015 15:16
Thanks! I got colour mostly working at lunchtime:

I am getting a strange bug though. Most colours work fine but if I try to tween (for example) between red (255,0,0) and yellow(255,255,0) I get purple!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 12:10
Update added scale & rotation of particles.

Next:
Movement options - None / Aimless / Jitter
Gravity - None / Constant
Wind - None / Constant / Varying
Multiple emitters
Additive blend

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 00:38
Added:
Movement options - None / Aimless / Jitter
Multiple emitters - Just a few minor UI bugs to fix
Fire & forget is properly working for multiple emitters now too

Next:
Additive blend is giving me a bit of trouble so I'm going to work on Gravity, Wind and Export / Import

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 00:56
Sounds great so far

Still can't wrap my head round shaders lol

Did manage to get an AppGameKit program working in a C# panel. I take it you would use the button code on the C# side to store in the text file and get AppGameKit to check the file every so ofter.
Shame there is no way to directly communicate between the two.

Keep up your great work.

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 00:59
Quote: " I take it you would use the button code on the C# side to store in the text file and get AppGameKit to check the file every so ofter."

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing. It's pretty quick and I haven't been able to catch it out yet. C# and AppGameKit seem to handle things pretty well

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 01:05
It's a good idea glad it works well.

How do you deal with the loss of AppGameKit window focus when you have pressed a C# button? Cause I found that the AppGameKit window controls wouldn't work till I had clicked the window again.

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 01:14 Edited at: 17th Apr 2015 01:27
I'll have to check my code but I'm dealing with various problems like that. One still persists where the AppGameKit window sometimes no longer detects mouse interaction near the edges of the panel.

I'll try to share a lot more in a newsletter article or something when I have this app fully functional. By then I should have ironed out most of the bumps.

Edit: I know I added "UpdateDeviceSize( DeviceWidth, DeviceHeight )" to the AppGameKit code when the window resized.

I'm also using this c# code for setting the foreground window when the mouse hovers over the agk window. You have to set focus back to the main window if you hover over your tools too:

Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 01:20
Well I wish you the best of luck!

Scotty
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 22:13
Here's a quick update for anyone who hasn't seen my other thread. Paul has provided a solution for the additive blending problem I was having with a very minor tweak to the basic sprite shader. So now I have some very nice looking particles:

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 22:37
Definetely watching this one!! Great job so far baxslash!!

Proverbs Challenge: http://pc.potentialsunleashed.com/

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1 - FPSC Reloaded / Game Guru
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 23:09 Edited at: 17th Apr 2015 23:26
Thanks JHA

The still images don't really do it justice. I'll be posting an alpha version soon. I just have a couple of bugs to fix first. I don't want to post anything until it's actually useful.

I just made a cool fire emitter with flames, smoke and little floating particles. It looks great when it's running but again, screenshots are rubbish. I'll post a video soon before I make the alpha build.

EDIT: Here's an example of an emitter set using 2 additive blend emitters for flames and motes plus a normal emitter for the smoke

Attachments

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 00:46
Looks great!!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2015 10:28
Planning on adding an automatic converter for additive blending images. If you select an image that has transparent pixels it will create an additive version of that image to be used if additive blending is then selected (using memblock commands). The export will save the correct image out for you.

Just a couple more very minor UI bugs to fix and basic depth sorting, then I'll add export, then I'll create a test project... then an alpha release!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 12:54
Here's a new thread for the particle system: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214264&b=48

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 15:51
Are you going to implement the particle system into the level on this?

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 17:07
@baxslash

I have sent you a private message, just letting you know because I don't think the system highlights or alerts you that you have one

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 17:25
Quote: "Are you going to implement the particle system into the level on this?"

I am going to build my own level editor that will incorporate this particle system much as Overlap 2D does.

Quote: "I have sent you a private message, just letting you know because I don't think the system highlights or alerts you that you have one"

I'll take a look. I never check the PM's because I never get a notification. People probably think I'm rude but it's a missing feature.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 17:29
Quote: "I'll take a look. I never check the PM's because I never get a notification. People probably think I'm rude but it's a missing feature."

I did the same with one from CE a while back and didn't realise I had one. I thought the icon would go red if you had one but like you said it doesn't work.
I only sent it a short while ago

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 17:32
Replied

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 17:43
Dito
I have put you on my TSU with Gekko as friend.

Good luck with this project as it is a real winner for AppGameKit, very useful tools indeed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:58:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:58:02