Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / V2.0.12 Bugs

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 11:46
If the reported bugs have been "Fixed for next release", can we have the next release? I'm yet to really use the new debugger properly because it doesn't work for Android development (black screen bug).

For the next release, could we also see a small handful of GL_FOG control commands to make the existing 3d set a little more useable?

The year is rolling away before us and the new 3d commands are still just a twinkle in Paul's eye.

Go Paul! Hire some help, and get the espresso on!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi CJB. I kind of get the impression that "Fixed for the next release" means the bugs have been noted to be fixed for the next release. Maybe not at this point actually fixed.

From another thread Paul wrote "There will be a release to fix the bugs in 2.0.12, timing will depend on how many bugs people find." This also suggests to me that not too much is being done at the moment for a bug fix release.

The fact that 2.0.12 which is being sold here and on Steam, and has a known and major flaw in producing a bug free Android app, would I hope warrant a quick fix to remedy such a serious issue.

Go Paul! Hire some help I personally think that is the crux of the matter.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 00:23
I'm not in favour of a constant flood of updates, but this is obviously a serious issue and deserves immediate attention.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 01:23
Normally "Fixed for the next release" means it's already fixed just the build isn't stable enough for release yet.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 11:00
Thanks for clearing that up baxslash. That's the impression I got whenever Paul writes "Fixed for next release". I wish we could take advantage of those fixes sooner.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wish we could take advantage of those fixes sooner."

This is what I find perplexing. If these issues have been fixed, then I would hope for a quick release. If the issues were minor ones, then I could understand waiting for a maintenance release, but 2.0.12 has some show stopping bugs for Android development!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 12:51
It's a catch-22

Fixing the bug is the quickest part. The longest part is the regression testing (RT).

The RT didn't cover everything in 2.0.12, hence this bug appearing. Releasing a patch too soon can often lead to additional errors because of pressure to cut corners. RT is always the first thing to get cut.

I agree, we need this fix. But at the same time there has to be a compromise to prevent additional - potentially more critical - errors creeping in.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 01:32 Edited at: 16th Apr 2015 01:37
Agree with BatVink - if we as a community start moaning too much and expecting bugfixes within a week, other bugs might creep in under pressure to release too quickly.

I'm happy to wait for the next version - let's face it, when we all signed up for (and started developing on) a platform that is still in alpha, we accepted the fact that we were using a 'raw' product, still pre-beta; and that there were likely to be a few bumps along the road.

Like many others, I'm waiting for a couple of bugfixes before I can distribute my beta app to my testers, so I'm in the same boat. I'm sure Paul's doing his utmost to bring stable alpha releases for us to use. Patience and a great big beer for good measure!

Cheers,

J
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 09:14
I'm going to play Devils advocate and disagree with that.
Firstly, this is wrong:
Quote: " let's face it, when we all signed up for (and started developing on) a platform that is still in alpha"

Not everyone bought the product whilst it was still in alpha. Everyone on Steam, for example, has bought a product that they expect to be complete. The fact that it is still be developed further is a bonus but it should still be fully functional now if it is sold as a complete product.
The black screen bug on Android is a total show stopper, so I think for this one case, there should be an immediate fix because the product cannot be used in its designed state with that bug in place.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 10:12
Paul is working to bring you a new version very soon, a matter of days.

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for the update Rick.

Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 19:58
Quote:

Quote: "Not everyone bought the product whilst it was still in alpha."

As far as I know, it is still officially pre-release. That's what the zero is in 2.0.12
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 00:05
I've done dozens of releases like 1.0, 2.0 etc. The zero is insignificant, surely.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 18:46
To my knowledge, the zero is the release number.

MajorV.Release.Build
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 01:10 Edited at: 18th Apr 2015 01:12
The zero is irrelevant. Whether it means the product is prerelease or not is irrelevant. The reason it's irrelevant is because you only get to see the version number of the software after you have paid for it and download it.
There is nothing on the AppGameKit main page that says it is prerelease and there is nothing that even hints that it is before you buy it.
For that reason alone, you absolutely cannot call it prerelease.

I haven't looked on Steam because I don't have it installed but I'm willing to bet that there is nothing on there that suggests it is prerelease either.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 &amp; 2
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 01:11 Edited at: 18th Apr 2015 01:13
Removed duplicate post

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 &amp; 2
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 02:08 Edited at: 18th Apr 2015 02:10
I know this is probably getting to be a moot point, but I'm sure (well, that is, I seem to remember) that TGC dropped the 'Alpha 8', 'Alpha 9', 'Alpha 10' etc. version numbers with the system I outlined above.

Although I do agree with you, Scraggle, when you say:

Quote: "The reason it's irrelevant is because you only get to see the version number of the software after you have paid for it and download it."

- J
x3meblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 06:05 Edited at: 18th Apr 2015 19:09
[FIXED with Update 2.0.13]

In a desktop full screen app I get a border
at the top. This border only disappears, if
I delete the file "window_position.dat" in
AppData/Local/AGKApps before starting my game.

I use this code for setting up the screen:

(Resolution: 640 x 480)

AGK2 Tier 1 / GameGuru / ProMotion 6.5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:23:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:23:47