Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / GetImage or SaveImage size restrictions?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've written a program that compiles atlas images. Works fine with smaller image sizes but when I try for larger images (eg outputted atlas image 2500px wide) the resulting image is only 1120px wide? Pretty sure code is correct so wondering if anyone knows of image size restrictions with these two commands: GetImage and SaveImage.

Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone know if these commands have similar size restrictions?

SetRenderToImage( colorImage, depthImage )
integer CreateRenderImage( width, height, format, mipmap )

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 21:29
The limits are probably different for each platform. Maybe the maximum size of the back-buffer.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2015 21:37 Edited at: 26th Apr 2015 21:38
As I recall, GetImage's coordinates are based on the actual device resolution so trying to get an image greater than that will not work as intended. It is pretty confusing and not very desirable for many use cases. The help states:

Quote: "Note that the image produced by this command is not guaranteed to have the same width and height as those given to the command, this is because the image is created from a portion of the screen which has a different size on different devices. For example, with a virtual resolution of 480x360, you would get an image of the full screen by calling this command with a width of 480 and a height of 360, but on an iPod this would produce an image of 480x360 pixels, whilst on an iPad it would be around 1024x768 pixels."

Render Images are also currently restricted to powers of 2 on mobile or bad things happen. Paul mentioned this may be amended as part of the 3D command work but who knows when that may be. Due to these problems I can't create particular applications I had in mind using AppGameKit and must use an alternate platform.

You could likely create the final image at the intended resolution using memblocks but that obviously gets more complicated.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like a 2048x2048 limitation on the two commands listed above - shame!

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
PC - so I expected much larger for the render commands.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2015 01:41
These are platform restrictions - not AppGameKit as such. Smaller device will not allow sizes > 1024 x 768.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2015 10:46
I create huge atlas images using the memblock commands. I've made images that way over 5000 pixels wide and high. There's not much point though if you are going to be putting those images into a mobile app where 1024x1024 is the only safe maximum.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm only targeting PCs/Macs for this game so larger atlas maps would be fine I'm guessing? I've never used memblocks before so might have to start looking into those. For now, unless performance because I'm using several images for sprites starts to dip, I'll stick with my current method but thanks for letting me know about this Baxslash - good to know that I have an option there.

You're a truly knowledgeable person to have around!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2015 16:41
I'll be happy to share some code if you need it. Just mail me.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
That's very kind Baxslash. Will do if I go the memblock route. Thanks.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Baxslash,

I'm coming up against some strange issues using images so keen to take a look at your memblock route if possible?

Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:52:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:52:04