Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / App loading issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, after nearly a week of wrestling with account issues, certificates, etc I finally have my app testing on an iPad. I'm noticing however that on launch it is a little janky. The initial bit is probably because I did not declare a splash screen in the ipa exporter, it briefly shows an agk icon/white screen and moves on.

The problem is that the game does not seem to fully recognize the orientation settings/restrictions until it has hit the main loop. My title screen sometimes pops up in portrait and it will allow you to rotate it with the device, albeit briefly.

I did not have these issues on android, running latest 14b version of AppGameKit, anyone else seen similar issues?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2015 13:09 Edited at: 21st May 2015 13:11
Probably an obvious question, but did you select the correct orientation when exporting the ipa from the IDE?

When launching an IPA it takes a little longer to pass control to AppGameKit than it does Android. Therefore the orientation is set based on the selection in the export process initially, until AppGameKit has control and hits your 'SetOrientation' command. For Android, as control is passed to AppGameKit almost instantly, there isn't really a need for a splash screen...

What I do, is load my Splash Screen in my AppGameKit code (do it first thing, and then perform a Sync()). This allows me to determine how long I want to display it, and also add any transition if I want to (like fade out)... As for the iOS Splash Screens, I simply use a plain black image. Initial orientation does not matter by doing it this way, and then once AppGameKit has control, I load my own splash screen and set the correct orientation...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
I did catch the select the landscape option when exporting. I'll have to try adding a blank image until my own splash loads and see what it does.

After more testing last night however, I found that if you launch the app and leave the device in portrait, it will never rotate on its own. It will be shrunk down with black bars above and below. Once you rotate the device it will switch to the correct orientation and stay there.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, just retested, added a black splash to the export options and a couple extra syncs, that fixes the slight flickering but the app still starts in whatever orientation the device does. After starting you can rotate the device and the app orients itself correctly and stays that way.

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah ha, finally found a workaround in this thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214195&b=41

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, this is possibly a bug now... On the ad version of my game, the orientation works correctly every time, the full version however sometimes still doesn't rotate correctly at start. The only difference is checking the 'Uses admob or Chartboost' when exporting. I just tested as a sanity check and it behaves normally with that checked together with the fix in the link above.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:15:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:15:26