Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android builds over 50meg from IDE export

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2015 14:37
Is it possible to make builds that are bigger than 50meg for Android from the IDE export function?

Obviously this requires an APK extension file when uploading to Google Play, in order to get round the 50mb limit imposed.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2015 15:01
I didn't think that 50mb limit still existed. Didn't Google increase it a few years ago?

...Google search results suggest the new limit is 4Gb. If someone can confirm this?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2015 15:03
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2015 17:56
Quote: "Is it possible to make builds that are bigger than 50meg for Android from the IDE export function?"

Yes, but currently AppGameKit only supports videos in the expansion file, hopefully we can add other file types in future.

To move videos to an expansion file simply remove them from your media folder during export and then add them to an uncompressed zip file which is then your expansion file. To Load them at runtime use LoadVideo("expansion:MyVideo.mp4"), but testing expansion files is a pain and I wouldn't recommended them if you can avoid it.
lmr2013
Years of Service
User Offline
ooooo thats a kick in the

totally gutted - i saw the apk export in AppGameKit had an expansion pack option and thought it would just sort the media files, so didnt think about it and ploughed on with my game. i should have looked into it and read the small print.

got a game which is compiling an .apk at 116mb and if AppGameKit dont support expansion packs other than videos then im doomed on google play (which is a big market lost).

doubt i would ever get it down to 50mb

the 116mb is made up of mostly images and sound... could look to try and reduce, but its a crying shame not to be able to release it as it is.

and downloading media off servers sounds a pain.

i need a drink..

lmr2013
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:22:24