Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK multiplayer issue I'm having

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 07:00
Hi, I'm putting together a simple 2-player network game on Windows & so far 2 instances of my .exe running on the same PC communicate perfectly; one is Host & one is client & it works as designed. However, if I put an instance on 2 separate PCs on my home network, they do not see each other. The one tagged as Host appears to create the network, but the client can't seem to join.

Since the code works fine within 1 PC, I assume the code is correct, but something about my network is not. Do I need to setup my home router in some special way to ensure the traffic is not blocked? Initially I get a Windows firewall message, but after I click Allow, the firewall seems to cooperate from then on.

Any suggestions on settings and such? Thanks in advance.

Code every line like it might be your last...
Someday it will be.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 15:07
Are your HostNetwork and JoinNetwork commands set up correctly? Maybe you could post a small section of code to show the setup and joining?

You also need port 45631 plus your AppGameKit network port open to make a connection.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Uncle Martin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 08:11
BatVink, thanks. I logged into my "Arris" cable modem & don't see an entry to specifically open a port (e.g. 45631) or the AppGameKit port I'm using (1025). Here is the section of the code to Host/Join. As I said, this works fine if I run 2 instances of the .exe on the same computer, but not if I run a copy on 2 different computers on the same home network.

Someday it will be.
Uncle Martin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2015 07:22
Update. I can sometimes get this to work displaying on separate machines if I run 2 instances from the same network-shared hard-drive, so I think I having some sort of firewall issue. I'm glad to see it sort of working. Since my game is a 1-on-1 networked 3D shooter, the networking aspect is not optional

Someday it will be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:44:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:44:14