Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Facebook button - what's the best practice?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 12:43
I have a "Facebook Share" button in my new WIP. I'd like the user to be able to press this button to share their high score with their facebook buddies (and provide a link to the game and a 'call to action' to download and play it).

Is it best to post a message to the players wall, or post a message to all the player's friends walls? Or maybe let the player select friends from a list that they'd like to share with?

Also, when doing the "Quick start for Android" thing on Facebook (to get the App ID), what goes in "Default Activity Class Name"?

Should I use the fb commands, or simply go for the OpenBrowser method ?

Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide I could have a nose at?

Thanks!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 13:20
Sorry, I can't help but I needed to post something so that I can tag myself in to 'MailBack'.
I'd like to know the answers too!

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 14:22
Mailback

I've got the connection working, returning user name, etc. The next step - posting on wall - is in my to-do list.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 14:27 Edited at: 29th Jun 2015 14:29
here u can generate the hash key online:
https://developer.thegamecreators.com/android/create_keyhash.php

"Default Activity Class Name"
the manifest file u should find in the .apk file.
i believe u can open it with a zip tool.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit (Steam) V2 Beta .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 17:49
I have the same question as my apk is produced from the IDE, should the name be this:

com.thegamecreators.agk_player.NativeActivity

or this

"com.mypackagename.NativeActivity"
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 19:35
Quote: "I'd like the user to be able to press this button to share their high score with their facebook buddies"

Facebook have changed the permissions since I last looked at this and I think an app requires a special permission to post without the user needing to do anything, and I don't think people liked apps doing this. AppGameKit pops up a Facebook dialog asking the user to double check the content and click the share button to confirm, which should still be ok but I haven't tested it in a while.

Be careful when including links in posts as I remember something about Facebook locking it down to only links to your own website, as specified in your Facebook app settings, but I may be wrong.

Quote: "what goes in "Default Activity Class Name"?"

Your package name followed by ".NativeActivity", for example if your package name is "com.mycompany.myapp" then it would be "com.mycompany.myapp.NativeActivity"

Quote: "Should I use the fb commands, or simply go for the OpenBrowser method ?"

Both should work, although the built in commands might be easier for the user since the sharing process is contained within the app, and login may not be necessary if they have the Facebook app installed.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:15 Edited at: 29th Jun 2015 23:16
Thanks Paul and everyone. So what I am going with is:

Using the FB commands, posting a message to my wall. This gives the user a facebook dialogue with the option of who they want to share the message with, and the ability to add their own message so all nice and facebook friendly.

That's another step closer to releasing my new game! Phone-tap

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:50:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:50:03