Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Testing IOS apps - Broadcasting on iPhone

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 21:15
OK, I am having a real headache with IOS at the minute.
If anyone has seen the other thread on how to upload app etc then thanks for help there but still struggling.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=214716&b=44

Take into consideration when reading this:
1 - I am a Windows and Android user/publisher (very easy).
2 - Mac and IOS are quite alien to me but sort of getting there with them.
3 - I have not used Xcode and program tier 1 with AppGameKit 2.
4 - I am not thick or thought I wasn't but feel like I am a super noob again and am stressed to the max with this.
5 - I understand TGC can't submit a player like Android but again documentation seems none existant and on searching the forums I can't find an answer or recent enough thread to be of use.

I am trying to test my app, Paint Pot on an Apple iPhone.

My equipment:
Macbook Pro 13" Retina.
Iphone 5c.
Developer Account.
Xcode installed.

I have with great difficulty set up the following:
Certificates for developer and distribution.
Provision profiles for both.
App ID for Paint Pot.
iOS device set up as Paul's iPhone 5c.
My user account in iTunes Connect switched on for internal tester.

Also completed before obtained my iPhone:
Paint Pot .IPA complete app for submission to the app store without testing on device, set for distribution and not testing with AGK2 on export.
This was before I got the iPhone as I just thought if it works on Android it should be fine on Apple.

I now have the iPhone 5C and thought I would try and test my app by creating another version of the Paint Pot app by exporting from AGK2 with the developer provisioning profile this time whilst waiting for the Paint Pot release being reviewed.
However surely I should just be able to test my app on the fly as I do in Android with the player?

So here is my problem, to get this far I have nearly caused serious damage to the Macbook where I have been very close to throwing it out of the window or punching the screen through on more than one occasion!!!
My patients have severely ran thin and I do not have any left for answers pointing to a web page by Apple or to TGC page here:

http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/52_ios.htm

Quote: "
Notes

The Apple website has comprehensive tutorials on every step of the development and submission process when submitting applications, and is highly recommended reading.

Youtube is a great source of video tutorials on the various steps involved in registering an Apple account, installing your certificates and going through the validation process.
"

Oh cheers for that TGC but where the $£%$ are the tutorials on testing my app on iOS by exporting and putting the AppGameKit player on my device and is there a way to use the Xcode tester with AGK2 or is there anything???

Sorry if this is coming across harsh but as mentioned I am at my wits end with all this now!

Please could someone help with simple step by step guides who has been there, done it and finds it quite easy.

How to put the AGK2 player on my iPhone for testing via broadcasting as I do with Android.
Are there any other methods of testing using tier 1 which may be useful?

Surely this shouldn't be this hard to do????

Please help so I can finely get some sleep without stress.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 23:19 Edited at: 29th Jun 2015 23:20
First, lets start with some breathing exercises. Inhale. Exhale. Go to your happy place.

Great, now that we're calm, we understand that we exist in the ineffable coldness of a universe that does not care, and that the process to get working software on iOS is but one of many obstacles put in the way between us and true happiness.

1.a Do not let your patients run thin. Get them on some chicken broth right away.

1.b You say your developer certificate is set up, your device is registered and you have successfully generated and downloaded a Provisioning Profile. Great! Probably best to nuke all that and start the process again.

2. It is an Ad-hoc provisioning profile right? Not sure? Nuke it and generate/download it again. Make sure your testing device is on the profiles device list.

3. Run AppGameKit v2

4. Go to the Tools menu, iOs, Export AppGameKit Player. Do this with no project loaded.

5. The geany-bin exporter dialogue pops up. Type 'agk player' in the App Name field. Don't actually type the single quote marks.

6. Select your recently nuked and regenerated adhoc provisioning profile in the Provisioning Profile field.

7a. Type '0.01' in the Version Number field.

7b. Check on your patients, they might still be hungry.

8. Type '1' in the Build Number field.

9. Make a note of where your .ipa will be generated in the Output File Location field.

10a. Press Export.

10b. Breathe.

11. Locate your just-generated 'AGK Player.ipa' file and double click it. If it says it already exists, click 'Replace'. It is now added to your iTunes apps library.

12. Plug your device into your Mac. Wait a few for it to be found.

13. Open iTunes, find and select your device in the top left corner and click 'Apps'.

14. You should see 'agk player' in the apps list. Click 'Install' (it will change to say 'Will install'), then click 'Apply' at lower right of iTunes

15. Your AppGameKit Player app should now install on your device. It will have the nice default red AppGameKit icon. If the icon remains grey, there was a problem with the Provisioning Profile. Breathe. Go to step 1b.

16. If the icon is not grey, tap it to start the player. You'll see the ip address of the device, the AppGameKit logo and the word 'UNCONNECTED' at the bottom.

17. Load the project to be tested in AppGameKit 2. Run it first (I find this sometimes helps) quit it, then click the Broadcast button.

18. On your device you will see the magical words 'Receiving Data' and a percentage. Have a drink, you've earned it! Not your patients though, they've basically done nothing.

Good luck!

Twitter: @itanican
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PushdownGame
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 00:49
@Wilf cheers for your assistance and calming me down:

Quote: "1.a Do not let your patients run thin. Get them on some chicken broth right away.
"

Made me laugh and was quite warming

The provisioning profiles I created were for the Paint Pot app ID I created and were for:

iOS app store development and app store distribution but not:

Ad-Hoc distribution

I am not getting to step 4 yet as I have to create the profile first.

Just to confirm, I guess I have to create a new app ID but this time for AppGameKit Player and then create a distribution ad-hoc provisioning profile using the agk player ID and not the Paint Pot ID?

I did say I was very new to this

I am just thinking if I don't do this then I will have to create a new profile and agk player for every time I create an app and if I use the new ID for agk player I will only need to upload this once and it will work like the Android version for any app I export to it?

Just wanting to confirm before mess anything up.

Cheers

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 01:02 Edited at: 30th Jun 2015 01:03
You could create a new AppID but its not necessary. Just use the same one for Paint Pot, it will work if your device is registered on the Provisioning Profile. Just now I built the iOS AppGameKit Player.ipa using my Pushdown provisioning profile.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 02:55
Well that's great Wilf, got it on there quite easily with these steps now and working with test apps on broadcast

Easy when you know how, thanks again for this help and I think TGC should put some or even these instructions on their website to stop this problem as it was very frustrating.

Now to check if the Paint Pot app works ok on iOS

Point 7b now cleared

Cheers

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 04:00
Well after checking the app it seems iOS is more sensitive when moving the colours on my selector which made actually selecting the colour difficult.
Setting in my code changed and a new build uploaded with issue fixed.

After 5 days of awaiting review it starts again with the new build.

Good job managed to check this though.

Can now get good nights sleep without stress!

@TGC seriously though, come on guys, the instructions need adding to the site please. Not everyone can do this and it caused a real headache. Shouldn't have to rely on forum members for basics like setting up AGK2 and players.

Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 09:31
Good job, glad it works! Now just for fun, try to build the same thing in Xcode.

I will gladly accept any amount of vague documentation in exchange for not having to do that.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 10:57
Quote: "Now just for fun, try to build the same thing in Xcode."

Was going to have a go at Xcode but I think this has put me off lol

Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2015 03:46
spectrepaul, I have to agree with you. There should be a series of steps somewhere easily accessible on TGC's website for this. I was banging my rapidly-balding head on my table for several hours trying to get iOS to run my test app. I managed it eventually, but can't quite remember how I did it.

- James
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2015 19:11
Thank you for letting me know. Since Apple keep changing the way they do things I was reluctant to try and create a step by step guide for it, but I've improved the tier 1 iOS guide here and it'll be in the next version. Sorry it wasn't in time to help you, but hopefully it'll help others avoid the same problems.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2015 20:41
Quote: "Sorry it wasn't in time to help you, but hopefully it'll help others avoid the same problems."

Makes it a bit easier

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2015 02:17
Thanks guys, got it up and working in the end and AppGameKit player works just like with Android using this method.

Have a look and help

Not sure if I have done this correctly as I have not used a promo code before but for all who have Apple device I am hoping you will download my full version of Paint Pot on the iOS store and maybe give me some good reviews

I presume only one code is needed for people to use and it has an expiry date below apparently set by Apple but will allow you to get it free

If anyone has used these before and more codes are needed then let me know, cheers and thanks for your help in advance

Code expires on Thu Aug 06

9PMFW9TH44R9

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:22:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:22:32